• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aftermarket b230 rods, big end width(29.5mm) with stock pistons.

Jespermc

Hello 😊
I really hope someone has some knowledge they would like to share.
Aftermarket h-beam B230 rods with a wide big end (29.5mm).
I know that I would need the wide big end when running aftermarket pistons - with a folly floating wrist pin - to get steering at the big end because i would loose steering at the small end.
But now I already have the wide model rods, but still want to run stock pistons.
My question is; can I use the wide model rods with a stock piston which is piston steered?
Then I will have both piston and crankshaft steering of the rods.
The stock rods have about 5mm end float.
With the wide rods the end float is about 0,6mm.
The crankshaft endfloat is about 0,25mm.
I worry that when things flex, expands etc. I will run into problems, because of the much smaller tolerances.

Please keep in mind, this is my first post and English is not my first language.

Thanks 😊

Jesper

Hello
I really hope someone has some knowledge they would like to share.
Aftermarket h-beam B230 rods with a wide big end (29.5mm).
I know that I would need the wide big end when running aftermarket pistons - with a fully floating wrist pin - to get steering at the big end because i would loose steering at the small end.
But now I already have the wide model rods, but still want to run stock pistons.
My question is; can I use the wide model rods with a stock piston which is piston steered?
Then I will have both piston and crankshaft steering of the rods.
The stock rods have about 5mm end float.
With the wide rods the end float is about 0,6mm.
The crankshaft endfloat is about 0,25mm.

I worry that when things flex, expands etc. I will run into problems, because of the much smaller tolerances.

Please keep in mind, this is my first post and English is not my first language.

Thanks

Jesper

Jesper by my measure the stock piston boss to side of rod clearance is about 0,25mm , maybe 0,3 max..and I think the gap in between bosses is 25mm (rods being 24.75mm)
And sure as long as the rods are guided somewhere--in your case at the crank, and you can stuff the small end in, you should be fine.
My rods I make wide and the float is 0,25 at the big end...

Why run stock pistons? No boost?

Kolla verkstadhandbok f?r vad dimensioner ska vara...men du f?r titta runt hit o dit..

Varf?r inte? Stock pistons seem to work well with pretty high boost levels... Better to spend that extra cash on more important stuff (cam, headwork, turbo, management und zu weiter)

Jesper by my measure the stock piston boss to side of rod clearance is about 0,25mm , maybe 0,3 max..and I think the gap in between bosses is 25mm (rods being 24.75mm)
And sure as long as the rods are guided somewhere--in your case at the crank, and you can stuff the small end in, you should be fine.
My rods I make wide and the float is 0,25 at the big end...

Kolla verkstadhandbok för vad dimensioner ska vara...men du får titta runt hit o dit..

Thank you for your answer.
I did some more measurements tonight.
The clearance at the small end is 0,25mm (stock piston and rod). The clearance with the new rods is 0,2mm.

And like I said the big end clearance is 0,6mm.

Are you saying that your rods that only has 0,25mm big end clearance, is stock width(about 24,8mm)at the small end?
So it is safe to use a stock piston with your rods?
I appreciate your time.

I am gonna keep it under 400hp at the crank, so I think stock pistons will be sufficient.

Thank you for your answer.
I did some more measurements tonight.
The clearance at the small end is 0,25mm (stock piston and rod). The clearance with the new rods is 0,2mm.

And like I said the big end clearance is 0,6mm.

Are you saying that your rods that only has 0,25mm big end clearance, is stock width(about 24,8mm)at the small end?
So it is safe to use a stock piston with your rods?
I appreciate your time.

I am gonna keep it under 400hp at the crank, so I think stock pistons will be sufficient.

Att precisera (hur fan man s?ger det p? ?nglisch) Mina stakar ?r 29,75 bred p? b?gge sm? o stora ?nderna .
Cirka 0,25mm sido spel ?r vad vi kan kalla ''industri standard''...
Mina kunde passa men mina egen har varit l?ngre....160mm i st?llet f?r orginalens 152mm centrum till centrum

?ven mina B20, B21, B23 ?r alla 160mm c-c

Och kolvbulten var 'Chevy .927'' ' (i tum storleken) cirka 23,5mm i tidigare modeller men senare jag valde 22m...kolv vikten ?r s? mycket mindre med dessa 160mm stakar att det finns inte n?dvandigheten att ha stora kolv bult nu l?ngre.

Och jag ocks? brukar en st?rre bult i stor ?ndan som ?r 7/16''..cirka 11mm i st?llet f?r den nominella 10mm i standard stakar och 3/8'' i dom flesta H-profil stakar..
St?rre ?r st?rre..

Det d?r med orginal gjuten kolvar eller smidda, jag undra varfor Ford i deras motor som ?r samma 96 x 80, samma topp lock bult delning, samma i s? mycket detaljer varf?r Ford valde Mahle smidda kolvar i deras 175hk motor? Och varf?r smidda i YBB o YBG Cosworth med 'bara' 205 eller 225hk...
Normalt Ford anv?nder gjutet Mahle, samma som Volvo, Saab, Opel, VW osv..
Men i b?da dessa turbo motorer dom sa smidda kolvar..varf?r?????

Du må gerne svare på svensk, jeg forstår lidt. Jeg er fra Danmark :-P

You are saying that your rods are 29,75mm at both ends.
What piston width would you need with your rods then?
How much play do I need at the small end?

Thanks again

Back