• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

+T Project- Tranny Cooler and Oil Cooler

Bones

So I'm gathering the last of my parts for my +T project. I've got a 1992 740 NA, B230F engine with LH 2.4. Going into the car is:

Watercooled T3
Big Ebay Intercooler
Greentops and Resistors
MBC
Chipped computers
T Cam
Ported 90+ mainfold

I've got the oil feed figured out, I guess I need to take apart the turbo housing to get the 90 degree fitting on turbo but thats a minor issue.

A small minor question, regarding oil return, is my plan ok: Cut the stock pipe, drill the block and jam it in with RTv and the O ring just like the stock setup, and then join the two pieces with silicone hose and hose clamps. Sound good?

But my major question, and the topic of this thread, is the auto tranny and oil cooling setups. I assume (read: I have yet to dig around below the radiator) that I lack an oil cooler because my car is NA.

Do I need an external oil cooler for a +T setup? Is there an easy kit to buy? Perhaps Summit or something? Cost isn't as important to me as getting all the pieces I need at once. Once this car comes apart, I lose my ability to make a trip to autozone or something to pick up some misc part, so I'm trying to get EVERYTHING together first, and double and triple check my lists.

Secondly, because my car is an auto, the steel lines going into the larger radiator (the new one, with an efan already in front of it) look like they may impede the placement of the turbo. As suggested in another thread of mine filled with dumb questions, I think I should get an external tranny cooler, in a kit. What are you guys' thoughts on that idea? I'm assuming that if I install a tranny cooler, I remove the steel lines, replace them with hose, and plug up the holes in the radiator (with what, might I ask?). Am I thinking right?

Also, should I get an oil filter relocation kit to run with the oil cooler? Which one?

Can anyone share their insight on all of this? I'm just trying to make sure I think of everything before I dive in headfirst into this project.

I really appreciate any and all advice.

-Thank you.

A small minor question, regarding oil return, is my plan ok: Cut the stock pipe, drill the block and jam it in with RTv and the O ring just like the stock setup, and then join the two pieces with silicone hose and hose clamps. Sound good?

No. That's a route that's rife with head ache. Drill and tap the block or weld a bung (male or female) into the pan. Go to a speed shop and tell them you are doing an oil return and need something based on whatever route you choose to take.

But my major question, and the topic of this thread, is the auto tranny and oil cooling setups. I assume (read: I have yet to dig around below the radiator) that I lack an oil cooler because my car is NA.

Go to a boneyard and look at what a turbo car as opposed to your own. ;-)

About the oil cooler: Note the location on turbo cars. On your N/A car, this is the location of the airbox. If you decided to not use that location, be mindful that you are creating a big hole to the left of the radiator and intercooler the fix is to use a bit of sheet metal. Otherwise, you've just dramatically lowered your the efficiency of your cooling system.

I would put the oil cooler in the same spot that the turbo cars have them. ;-)

Do I need an external oil cooler for a +T setup? Is there an easy kit to buy? Perhaps Summit or something? Cost isn't as important to me as getting all the pieces I need at once. Once this car comes apart, I lose my ability to make a trip to autozone or something to pick up some misc part, so I'm trying to get EVERYTHING together first, and double and triple check my lists.

Summit has tons of stuff, but when you get right down to it, the Volvo Setrab cooler is a pretty good unit. If you aren't planning on making a ton of power, get a stock cooler and use that. If you have higher aspirations in terms of use or power output, use an additional cooler. This is what I'm going to do. The RX-7 Turbo coolers are very good and rather popular around these parts.

Secondly, because my car is an auto, the steel lines going into the larger radiator (the new one, with an efan already in front of it) look like they may impede the placement of the turbo. As suggested in another thread of mine filled with dumb questions, I think I should get an external tranny cooler, in a kit. What are you guys' thoughts on that idea? I'm assuming that if I install a tranny cooler, I remove the steel lines, replace them with hose, and plug up the holes in the radiator (with what, might I ask?). Am I thinking right?

Is that "e-fan" in between the radiator and front bumper? If that's the case, where are placing the intercooler?

Have you searched about this? There should be tons of information on this topic.

Anyway, screw the OE stuff and get something from Autozone. If you are dead serious about your box, put in something really high end with a fan on it. I have a cooler that was part of a kit from Autozone that was for cooling RV trannies. I put an inline magnetic filter on it as well. In the next couple of weeks I plan on putting a fan in front of it too for those times when I'm sitting in traffic in the middle of a hot Florida summer.

Also, should I get an oil filter relocation kit to run with the oil cooler? Which one?

That's up to you. However, you are going to need some solution that will allow you to run lines in and out of the motor and between the cooler right? My car has a remote setup with a circuit that includes the oil cooler. Out of the engine and too the cooler right? From there, to the filter then back to the engine.

Here is one from Summit.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840126+4294847344+4294925008+115&autoview=sku

A good way to search the site is to use Google. Check the line below.

site:turbobricks.com remote oil filter

If you put "site:turbobricks.com" before whatever it you are looking for, google will return a ton of stuff that's been talked about around here on this topic.

Ultimately, it seems like you really need to get a good look at a turbo car to see what it's doing so you can understand what's going on.

if u like to do things the junkyard way then get an ac condensor off a jy car and use that for your tranny cooler, or rip your own ac out for some added weight reduction and use your existing condensor.*

*i don't actually know what i'm talking about, i've just heard it can be done, and i stayed at a holiday inn express last night

Well, I test fitted and it looks like I won't need to move those auto tranny cooler steel lines. I'm going to go without external tranny fluid / oil coolers for now, and see how it ends up- I'm not going for crazy power, a +T with dialed up boost, chipped computers, and new exhaust will be plenty for me.

Now, anyone mind if I ask a dumb question? I got my oil return sorted out with braided line and fittings, but I have a stupid question about the feed.

I got a straight fitting for the galley plug on the front, and that fits fine, but I got a 90 degree for the feed on the turbo and I came across a problem- it can't physically screw it. I cant turn it in the thread because it knocks up against the cold side of the turbo housing, preventing it from threading in. Should I order a straight fitting, or is there a simple solution to this?

id switch them around...run the 90* from the front galley and the straight into the top of the turbo...works well with 24" of hose.

Problem is, the 90 is 1/8 npt to 4an for the turbo and the straight is 1/4 npt to 4an for the galley. I suppose I could take apart the turbo and thread it that way, but I guess my only solution is buying a straight fitting.

Just encountered another interesting issue- even though I can't turn the 1/8 to 4an 90 degree fitting in the housing for the feed, it's way too small. As in it drops right in, threads don't even catch. I've searched all afternoon and everything is telling me a standard 13c turbo feed hole (where the banjo bolt comes out of) is 1/8 NPT.

Why am I having this issue? When I order a new, non 90 degree fitting, what should the correct thread size for the feed be?

I'm sorry if this is all stupid questions, but I use the search function like I use oxygen, and I'm asking these questions in the hope that someone down the line can benefit from this.

This little fitting is literally all that is stopping me from doing the project.

Back