• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2 years old gas bad?

Josepilove

I forgot that i had 10 gallons of gas in my 245 when i put her up on jackstands 2 years ago to do a b230t swap. so now everything is together and it cranks, gets spark and i have double checked the timing, but no go.

Could it be bad gas?

I parked my 96 Saturn with 1/2 a tank of gas for just about 2 years. A bit hard starting, but once it caught, ran just fine.

I had a tank of 4 yr old gas that was hard starting. I got a couple of large bottles of 90% + isopropyl alcohol and dumped it in - along with a 2-5gal can of fresh premium. It did start - stunk and the exhaust was white for about 3-5min, then she ran like a gem.

The gas available for the last few years tends to separate, esp. if it has ethanol in it. Therefore, no telling what sort of fuel you would be getting at the outlet of the tank; rest assured, it won't be the right octane. I haven't had trouble getting a few cars started that have sat for a year or a bit over, but I am not anxious to try for much older than that.

I'd always recommend adding as much premium as you can to get rid of the old fuel at the same time.

Depending on where you are the gas can turn to turpentine and piss in as little as 7-8 months. There is a drain on the tank pretty sure. Get some fresh gas in there.

^^ This. I made the mistake of running the gas out of a car that had sat in the auction for just over a year. It ran crappy and made my eyes sting if I went anywhere near it while it was running. The next day, I went to start it after putting fresh gas in it. It wouldn't start and cranked way to fast. Broke the timing belt. The reason it broke the timing belt is two intake valves had stuck to their quides. I ended up having to replace the head. Even with a hammer and punch, I couldn't budge the valves. They were pulling the quide out of the head as they came out. The cylinders were like super sticky fly paper. It took quite awhile to get all the "Super glue" off the cylinder walls and tops of the pistons. I will never make the same mistake againg. Do not run old gas through the engine, drain it.

I forgot that i had 10 gallons of gas in my 245 when i put her up on jackstands 2 years ago to do a b230t swap. so now everything is together and it cranks, gets spark and i have double checked the timing, but no go.

Could it be bad gas?
YES.

I just wasted an hour trying to start a lawnmower that had sat for a couple of years. Drained the tank and the carb, refilled with fresh gas and it started on the first pull....

My 745ti has been sitting for 5+ years. I'm just hoping when I drain the tank that it will still burn....

Back