• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ENEM C2 cam, any experiences?

VB242

I.M. Weasel
Anyone use one of these monsters with a turbo? Does it require lash caps? How's the low RPM characteristics? I'm getting the eBay upside down exhaust manifold, larger valves for my slightly worked 398 head, 3" exhaust and stock intake manifold TD05-20G China turbo, China Bay intercooler.
Will it spool?

Rob Prince and Peter Linssen did.

Works great, I believe both used with shim under bucket conversions. I think the ramp is too aggressive for the standard shim over buckets.

Peter does still run it with his current head(s) which are the RSI Stage 2, CNC ported ones. He has massive valves(In: 48mm/Ex: 40mm, maybe?), stock buckets with factory shims in the 3.8mm range. He previously had earlier heads set up for the thinnest shims(3.3mm ish) and cracked one, so he went back to something more reasonable and hasn't had a problem in years.

Erland will tell you it's one of the best camshafts for a stock valvetrain(with proper springs and clearance!) as it is relatively short duration but maximum lift without making any real modifications aside from the springs and retainers to go along with it.

On his 2.5L bottom end with the custom intake/exhaust manifolds and properly sized turbo, it can make over 600whp if wanted but he'll probably be running it around 500-550whp when he gets it running again later this year. He currently has a Precision 5858 as it's a road racing car and he shifts around 6,500-7,000rpm and wants "quick spool" for acceleration out of the corners. He will not be running a larger bore than stock as the cylinder walls get too thin if not doing some sort of block fill, it seems.

He made about 400whp and wtrq many many years ago with the original intake/exhaust manifolds but with professional from Sweden head work, a larger throttle body, programmable engine management and supporting modifications.

It is not going to pass any emissions testing and will not have great performance at very low rpm. Depending on the rest of the setup, it can have a very wide powerband. I suspect your turbo may be on the small side for it, but run it and find out!

Here's an old video of it idling from 11 years ago.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rHXvZGL-e4g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's an old dyno run with an earlier, slower spooling turbo setup than what he runs now, and compared with a B21FT on K-Jet with a 15G, NPR intercooler and still running a T cam. I also threw in Nathaninwa's old 740 w/B230FT when it was still a near stock 8V for comparison(probably an IPD turbo cam and near stock, if not stock, turbo) for fun.

The second picture is comparing it with Nathan's later 16V setup where you see the 8V comes on song way earlier. I am going to try and get a more recent dyno pull with the Precision 5858 turbo installed and further fine tuning with the AEM programmable EFI.

Attachments

• Pete, Andy, Nathan.jpg
    Pete, Andy, Nathan.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Petes8VvsNathans16V@26psi.jpg
    Petes8VvsNathans16V@26psi.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
made no difference over the ipd turbo cam in the blue 242, and spit a shim out to add insult to injury. If you don't already have a really hot setup I don't know that it's going to do much for you.

made no difference over the ipd turbo cam in the blue 242, and spit a shim out to add insult to injury. If you don't already have a really hot setup I don't know that it's going to do much for you.
What was the rest of the setup?

In any case, that is a very good point I neglected to go over... If you don't have a cylinder head that flows well up to 14mm of lift, the camshaft likely won't work well for you. If everything else flows ok, it should be an improvement.

Also, slapping big valves in a near stock head does not mean the head is going to magically flow well or be a great match to this aggressive camshaft.

Last edited:
What was the rest of the setup?

In any case, that is a very good point I neglected to go over... If you don't have a cylinder head that flows well up to 14mm of lift, the camshaft likely won't work well for you. If everything else flows ok, it should be an improvement.

Also, slapping big valves in a near stock head does not mean they are going the head is going to flow well or necessarily be a great match.

This is very important

Here are some more recent dyno charts. The first one is a comparison of the Turbonetics 60-1 he was was previously running(2013) with the Precision 5858(both at 24psi). The second one is the current turbo at 14psi and 24psi in 2015(current).

Attachments

• 740 5-29-15 vs 6-22-13.jpg
    740 5-29-15 vs 6-22-13.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 740 14psi and 24psi 5-29-15.jpg
    740 14psi and 24psi 5-29-15.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 78
Back