• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 > B230 Turbo Engine Swap

Sweed4Speed

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure there are probably threads relating to this same one so I apologise for making a new one, time is of the essence as you well know. Anyway,

I've just re-aquired and rescued a 240 that has been sitting in a auto-graveyard for the past couple of years, this car was once my father in laws pride and joy and he gave it away to help someone out at the time and then it ended up in a junk yard.. So, I've rescued it. Now, I need to revive it, the fun part ;)

I want to give this car back to him how he remembers it, spick & span, he'll be ever so proud to drive around in it, once again.

I want to keep things fairly simple so the upgrades I'm looking at will start with handling.

- lowering kit
- bigger wheels 17s or 18s low profile (good tyres of course)
- upgrade shocks and change to poly bushes
- engine strut mount

As for the engine mods I'm looking to put a 940 B230 turbo or 850 turbo engine in and maybe put a bigger turbo on, nothing crazy but a decent upgrade. The stock intercooler can handle that also which is great. I also would like to know will the b230/850 engine and transmission be a perfect fit does anybody know?

I'll be adding a TRUE cold air feed which actually delivers the air as close to ambient temperatures as possible not like most people I see who just dump a cone anywhere in their very hot engine bay *sigh* so I'll most likely be adding a bonnet scoop as well as an air dam if I can't get the cone right up into the front grill like I can on my 940.

Lastly I'll be adding a decent exhaust (not too loud) and an ecu remap to get everything running nicely in sync.

Eventually, the car will be given back to my partner and myself and then I will look to go to town on it and turn it into a real beast but for now, I can't wait to get this project started and see the smile on his face when I give this car back to him. (He's under the impression that he's given the car to me as a project, better than being in a car graveyard ha!)

Anyway, please give me some recommendations, opinions, guides if any, what else is worth doing, what's not worth doing.. Everybody's 2 cents is worth a dollar to me!

Bless to all, and drive safe out there,

Brett

Last edited:
EAsiest to do the b230ft swap from a turbo 740 or 940. Use a 240 LH 2.4 harness if you don't have one. You didn't say what year 240 you got, so hard to help..

850 fail wheel drive motor swap would not be easy... All custom sheet to make that work..

EAsiest to do the b230ft swap from a turbo 740 or 940. Use a 240 LH 2.4 harness if you don't have one. You didn't say what year 240 you got, so hard to help..

850 fail wheel drive motor swap would not be easy... All custom sheet to make that work..

Hey, thanks for your response.

OK, the 850 will be staying as she is then ha.

The 240 says on the front cover of my owners manual 1985.

My first option is to put a b230ft turbo engine in and upgrade the turbo, does the engine and gearbox fit straight in? Thanks

Hi all I am looking to do the same,I have a 1993/94 240 and have two 1998 940 turbos as donor cars,and I thought that it was only a matter of taking out my engine out of the 240 and straight in with the 940,but looking at them both there seam to be some difference,can somebody tell me if it is possible and what I need to do thanks for all and any help ��

Hi all I am looking to do the same,I have a 1993/94 240 and have two 1998 940 turbos as donor cars,and I thought that it was only a matter of taking out my engine out of the 240 and straight in with the 940,but looking at them both there seam to be some difference,can somebody tell me if it is possible and what I need to do thanks for all and any help ��

The 940 engine has a head mounted distributor. You need to convert it a block mounted distributor like on the 240 engine. You can use parts from the 240 engine. After you do that, it does basically swap over. You will need to swap both engine/transmission if you're staying automatic. The stock 240 transmission won't hold turbo power.

Stock 5 speed will hold modest turbo power just fine. AW70 auto will not. Don’t swap engines, just use the turbo hardware on your NA engine so you can take advantage of the higher compression pistons from your 240.

The 940 engine has a head mounted distributor. You need to convert it a block mounted distributor like on the 240 engine. You can use parts from the 240 engine. After you do that, it does basically swap over. You will need to swap both engine/transmission if you're staying automatic. The stock 240 transmission won't hold turbo power.

Or you can run wasted spark and ditch the distributor altogether :-D

I meant to say that both of my cars are manual gearbox,the 240 is not injection so I was wondering which of the two gearboxes should I use and would I better of just fitting a turbo onto my 240 so I wouldn't have to change the wiring loom are is there an easier way to do it thanks again for all the help:)

Stock 5 speed will hold modest turbo power just fine. AW70 auto will not. Don?t swap engines, just use the turbo hardware on your NA engine so you can take advantage of the higher compression pistons from your 240.

So you're saying that turbo'ing the 240 engine is a better idea than doing an engine swap? Definitely sounds like less headache lol

So you're saying that turbo'ing the 240 engine is a better idea than doing an engine swap? Definitely sounds like less headache lol

Yes, in pretty much every way imaginable it will be better. Though you are somewhat more limited in how much boost you can run on stock tune due to the higher compression.

Good morning all
I was just wondering if I was to fit throttle bodies onto my original 2.3 non turbo engine who would that work and what kind of power could I get out of doing that instead of an engine swap thanks :)

Back