• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

So let's put a question out there. Right now this car is running 15 psi boost on that (allegedly) HY35 turbo, it's been that way for a loooooong time. I have done nothing to this engine apart from throw a K cam at it. Thus, I can judge it as reliable.

I have a RSI stage 3 cam and 46/38 valves ready to go into a 531 head. My plan is to use yoshifab springs/retainers/washers for this, but KL Racing does have some other options.

Any reason to think this won't be reliable?

All I really want out of the car is to pick up more power at the same boost level. It would be cool to turn it up to 20, but man that 15psi has been good to me.

similar to my old setup with a stock bottom end and the HX35, it was dead nuts reliable. Eventually I started pushing some oil smoke at 25+ psi.. With the fuel and the tune and the hard parts, no reason to expect it would be inherently unreliable.

When I started running 18+ on the HX35 it was a totally different animal.

edit: I'll also add that I initially ran that setup with a K-cam, then swapped to an RSI stage 2 cam and that was a really big improvement over 4k rpm. Then I put on the NIW manifold, RSI stage 2 head and stage 3 cam and it was a completely new game.

Last edited:
I got goodies in the mail today!

X5tNLV0.jpg

5awIGKA.jpg

Well the car did run...but you know I had to rip it apart to see how this thing was gonna look on there. It's a cast aluminum KL racing intake. The two halves seal with an o-ring, the throttle seals the same way. There aren't any vacuum ports but there is a generous boss on the bottom for tapping them in.

H5Hdvoh.jpg

lNjHjzM.jpg

Hz7AQTn.jpg

There were three throttle body options, I went with the 80mm for completely arbitrary reasons. I'm really really stoked on this. It also makes my engine bay look like total trash in comparison, diamond in a goat's ass and all that. The best part though? Intake, fuel rail, throttle, delrin spacer, gaskets, pressure sealed bearings, $800 shipped. Good deal in my book.

I'm going to have to do some serious rearranging in there but I think I'll have the engine out anyways. Why not.

$800 is a great deal, I really don’t think it looks bad at all. Curious with the performance difference with all of this buttoned up will be.

It's thick enough I doubt it'll go anywhere. The throttle cable deal I'll look into but it's not a huge concern if mine. I think a lokar universal cable will work really well.

It's thick enough I doubt it'll go anywhere. The throttle cable deal I'll look into but it's not a huge concern if mine. I think a lokar universal cable will work really well.

it will, just gotta have somewhere to attach it. Maybe there's provision on the throttle body I'm missing.

So for anyone eyeing this intake. I shut the hood the other night and the top corner of the throttle body flange is literally resting on the hood. Idk if this will happen in your specific 240, but it is in mine. Flat hood, yoshifab mounts, b230 swap. So apart from the obvious bummer of not being able to use that delrin intake spacer I bought, I'm curious if I can find enough room. I ground that corner down to get some amount of clearance, but I won't know if I can get enough without having to cut into the throttle body as well. Time will tell and this hood sucks anyways, but the more you know and all.

:e-shrug: I don't see how it would clear the master if it rolled over vertical. I don't know that it would be an issue with a formal or late hood, but you wouldn't be able to run a hood pad for sure. There is plenty of material there to make it work, but it is something to be aware of. Right now I've probably got 10mm of room just from grinding the corner off of it.

I guess, if you, Jared, and Ben are coming out, I'd better get my 242 finished and ready for iPd as well. At least, then you can see how I was able to cram another switch into the center dash console in person...

Here it is via photo...

Just pop out the reminder light, pop another switch in.

A couple of small updates for this car. I recentlly acquired a reproduction Zender spoiler and threw it on to replace the Camaro spoiler. I've wanted one of these for a looong time.

vRuhiTo.jpg

Cbp63gc.jpg

GMnfXEo.jpg

qyI9JXy.jpg

N6C2f3D.jpg

I've also been working on some changes to my gauge cluster. I have the R-sport cluster adapted to the late dash as some of you know, but some things have always bugged me about it. First is that the top gauges are cut off by my steering wheel. I can't see the top half of the tach, speedo, oil press, or volt gauge with the current setup. The second thing is the current setup doesn't really match the "feel" of the rest of the dash.

So to solve this I've done two things. 1: move the warning lights above the speedo and tach, shifting them down. This also allows me to move the oil pressure and volt gauges towards the center some, adding to their visibility. 2: recessing the gauges in the dash. This allows me to match the look of the 52mm gauges above the vents, while at the same time gaining some visibility to the driver. Obviously it won't be perfect, but I think it should be much better than it is currently.

HBoBeoj.jpg

vZwJFJ9.jpg

This will be a two piece deal, with the picture above being the cover piece. The gauges themselves will mount in an aluminum bracket that lies behind this. Both pieces will use the factory mounting holes. I plan to get the face plate 3d printed soonish, I'll update when I can.

I'm bored so here's a couple of pictures:

D7g3m84.jpg

7im6XYn.jpg

The louvers I have had for well over 10 years now. They're NOS autoplas and have been tucked away for the right moment. I had louvers on this car years and years ago and never fell in love with them but I really dig these. There were two styles of these made, the previous being significantly thicker than how these are. I really prefer how these look so they'll stay on there. It sounds fickle but that's how I am.

The RSs I got a while ago from Aaron (slow240). They're original 740 fitment and when I get around to it will be stepped and barrelled to 17x9ish. Plans include proper fender arches in the rear and good fitment all around.

This is of course all talk, the car is mostly still a shelf for my many projects. Time and money as always, but one of these days this car will be rebuilt correctly and all of the cool stuff will go on.

I'm bored so here's a couple of pictures:

D7g3m84.jpg

7im6XYn.jpg

The louvers I have had for well over 10 years now. They're NOS autoplas and have been tucked away for the right moment. I had louvers on this car years and years ago and never fell in love with them but I really dig these. There were two styles of these made, the previous being significantly thicker than how these are. I really prefer how these look so they'll stay on there. It sounds fickle but that's how I am.

The RSs I got a while ago from Aaron (slow240). They're original 740 fitment and when I get around to it will be stepped and barrelled to 17x9ish. Plans include proper fender arches in the rear and good fitment all around.

This is of course all talk, the car is mostly still a shelf for my many projects. Time and money as always, but one of these days this car will be rebuilt correctly and all of the cool stuff will go on.

Looks sweet! Do you know if the reproduction louvers are the style you have now or the thicker style you had before?

This car :boink:s

still one of my favorites.

<3

Looks sweet! Do you know if the reproduction louvers are the style you have now or the thicker style you had before?

It looks to me like the ones Red Block Society is selling are the taller/thicker kind like I had previously. If you look at the sides of the ones I have now they are smooth, the other ones have grooves that follow the lines of the louver going down the side.

Back