• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can a Volvo 245 be converted TO Nivomats?

1978Muffy245DL

I have a '78 245 that has came equipped with the towing rear end, and I tend to move lots of heavy things. (Antiques, old appliances, etc) I know they were available on 740s and 940s, but I can't find any data that indicates their availability on 240s, and what would be required to convert them. From what I can tell, it's just a different set of (softer) springs, and the Nivomat shocks. Is that correct, and how would one select the correct components?

Wes

They were avaiable for 260 series if I recall correctly. Although I've never seen a set for a 260 ever.

Probably best to go with the air shock or helper spring choices. I used to have a set of rear shocks with helper springs on them. That might work well for you. They didn't do much until the car was loaded.

Have you tried a set of rear overload coil springs? They work well and are usually rated for about 300lb more loading capacity.

I dont see why you couldn't convert a set of nivos.

if you can get a set from a solid axle 700 series car, you would just have to drill out the upper pin from 12mm to 1/2" and figure out some spacing adapters at the bottom.

big potential issue would be clearance to the wheel and chassis with the larger nivomat body.

Nivomats were an option for 240's as were air shocks.

GR-54144.jpg

Nivo's were common on 240's. I have taken a lot off and converted to normal rear suspension

A good set of cargo springs is your best bet for heavy loads

Back