• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Member Introduction

GreasyFingers805

Hello everyone, my name is Oscar and I'm 24 years old. I've seen a lot of people recommending Turbobricks in the past and thought I'd check it out myself. I've read that this is where the experts are. I currently drive an all stock 89 Volvo 740 GLE 16 Valve station wagon with 228.6k miles. My goal here is to restore this car the best I can visually and/or make a monster out of it mechanically in the future. I've always wished to swap this car into a turbo v8 or supercharged v8 one day. Any ideas? I've upgraded the stereo and speakers and have done basic maintenance to keep her running. I took on the challenge of using this car as a daily driver. I have a cut and leaking trans cooler line held together by a fuel line hose and clamps. Brake master cylinder is dead and car almost skids for sudden stops. A few lighting problems; broken turn signal reflector, headlight, and taillight (all bulbs still function.) AC blows warm, good for winter and sucks for summer. 02 sensor code that doesn't go away after 2 attempts of fixing and failing. I might need a new water pump soon as it looks that it's starting to leak. Also need to change the timing belt asap (3k miles late, last changed at 175k.) Left tie rod needs replacement and was also told at current mileage suspension needs work too. So much to do, I don't know where to start or if I'm making the right choices. Definitely timing belt, brakes and o2 sensor first, but what should be next? Tune up to get up to date? Should I fix this engine and try to make it faster someway? Or should I strip it and start a new project for a v8 conversion? Just wanting a reliable, affordable, decent speed daily driver. Any recommendations welcome! Bought vehicle for 1250 about 12k miles ago and spent 750 for stereo.

Welcome! Sounds like fixing up what you have would meet your goals. Please post some of these questions in the Maintenance section and you will get some good advice there.

Hello everyone, my name is Oscar and I'm 24 years old. I've seen a lot of people recommending Turbobricks in the past and thought I'd check it out myself. I've read that this is where the experts are. I currently drive an all stock 89 Volvo 740 GLE 16 Valve station wagon with 228.6k miles. My goal here is to restore this car the best I can visually and/or make a monster out of it mechanically in the future. I've always wished to swap this car into a turbo v8 or supercharged v8 one day. Any ideas? I've upgraded the stereo and speakers and have done basic maintenance to keep her running. I took on the challenge of using this car as a daily driver. I have a cut and leaking trans cooler line held together by a fuel line hose and clamps. Brake master cylinder is dead and car almost skids for sudden stops. A few lighting problems; broken turn signal reflector, headlight, and taillight (all bulbs still function.) AC blows warm, good for winter and sucks for summer. 02 sensor code that doesn't go away after 2 attempts of fixing and failing. I might need a new water pump soon as it looks that it's starting to leak. Also need to change the timing belt asap (3k miles late, last changed at 175k.) Left tie rod needs replacement and was also told at current mileage suspension needs work too. So much to do, I don't know where to start or if I'm making the right choices. Definitely timing belt, brakes and o2 sensor first, but what should be next? Tune up to get up to date? Should I fix this engine and try to make it faster someway? Or should I strip it and start a new project for a v8 conversion? Just wanting a reliable, affordable, decent speed daily driver. Any recommendations welcome! Bought vehicle for 1250 about 12k miles ago and spent 750 for stereo.

how bout you fix this first so you don't endanger yourself and others?

Welcome.
It may have been wiser to focus on the faulty mechanical items before upgrading the stereo, but that's just an old man opining.

Regardless, you will find a lot of help here.
My first suggestion? Search noob!

New to Blog

Welcome first of all.

Here's my disclaimer: What I offer is opinion from some experiences due to having owned some Volvo cars.

1. Keep yourself within your budget and mechanical experience. If you don't have a spare closet full of money then maybe buying an LS motor and associated HP items might not be the best choice when there are failing brakes or other more critical items with a car. Also, if you don't have decent tools and experience then completing tasks like compressing suspension springs or similar tasks where real bodily harm can result then don't take shorts cuts that will get you, at best case hurt, or killed.

2. Learn how to use the search function on this and other sites. Just putting in a search word or two and then having to post questions typically is a result of not knowing how to properly search.

3. Refer to technical manuals (Volvo Green Books, Haynes or other repair type documents) and instructions. Guessing or taking the advice from a blog or other source may end up with less than desirable results.

4. Troubleshooting by parts replacement can be expensive and ineffective. Again, use technical manuals as reference and avoid guessing.

5. Volvo produced millions of these cars. Chances are if you are experiencing an issue or are trying to complete a repair or upgrade it has most likely been done in the past. There is probably no need to try and squeak some insignificant increase in a few horses while you could be concentrating on the typical issues for your year and model car and making it safe, reliable and efficient with readily available low cost repair items.

6. TRY and avoid impulse. 'nuf said.

7. Get yourself to Stage 0. Not too sure what stage 0 is? If not, then google it, search it here. look on a few other Volvo sites and take the time to seriously get to stage 0.
Maybe start by reading here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t-28290.html

8. Accept your car for what it is. These cars are typically 4 cylinder, 4 door old ass cars. If you are trying to create something else then just remember at the end of the day you are probably still going to have a old ass 4 door car.

9. There are threads on this site that list parts sources. Shop around and you will be surprised at the availability and price differences between sources. Many times good used parts can be a good fit without spending for new. If you somehow need a new set of anti sway bars from IPD then knock yourself out, but chances are you can find some that will be just fine that are not new off the shelf up in Portland. Of course consumable types items would typically not fall into this group.

10. Learn how to post pictures on here if you are going to list things or show off your car. It's annoying to read about something then to read "I can't figure out how to post a picture". It's 2019 - "come on man"!

11. Keep GOOD tires on your ride. They are being tested every time you get in your car to drive. Poorly made or maintained tires will perform that way - POORLY.

12. On the list of things for my cars: Safety items and reliability first, then a whole bunch of other things, then in last place - a stereo. But, at last check, I'm not a 24 year old either.

Good Luck. My cup of coffee needs refilled. :nod:

Last edited:
When I first bought the car it didn't really have any problems and these things have occurred along the way. I only had the o2 sensor issue I couldn't fix. The stereo was done before any major problems and any small things that came up were fixed asap. Of course I wouldn't spend near a grand if I had a timing belt or brakes to do. As for the brakes, it's a new problem that recently came up. I only drive the car 2-15 miles at most a day, averaging 5 miles in a very small town where traffic isn't really bad and isn't a problem. The skidding only occurs if I have to make a sudden stop, which I leave enough car spacing anyway if I need to stop in case of an emergency. The brakes still work enough to safely drive on normal roads 45mph or less. The tires are basically brand new having changed them all about 2k miles ago. I'm not dumb enough to drive this on the freeway or directly behind another car with the current condition it's in. As for research, I've done enough to have a basic understanding on what I need work on, which is almost all I need because I'm not really doing any of the work myself. I'm just interested in learning how it all works for my make and model as it's different for other 740s. I do own a Chilton's manual for my car that I reference every now and then.
The v8 swap is a wish and is really farfetched, not really what I'm aiming for right now, but man, can't a guy dream? Lol. I just need to get this car running well for what it is already. I figured I'd ask if it's smart to just have someone swap it as it will cost almost the same as fixing most of these problems combined. Suspension and brakes currently need work anyway and removing and upgrading during a new build would be necessary. But again, it is just a dream that I know is far from my reality..
I'm young and I'm new to cars and this forum so please try not to be so judgmental when I'm only trying to learn from you pros about something I'm really interested in. I love this Volvo, very first one I've owned and it' has served me extremely well. I'd love to see it live as long as it can. Timing belt might run me up 1100 as there's only 1 mechanic in my area that I've found so far that can do it with the right tools. Let's hope this works out well!

Dream away man. Start posting questions in the other forum sections, make a prioritized list, and glad to have ya as a new Volvo fan. Don't take any comments here personally, many people here just like messing with ya and don't mean any harm. Don't feed the trolls haha.

The timing belt doesn't really require special tools. As long as someone can line up the marks on the pulleys and on the belt, it's actually pretty easy. Intimidating, ya, but when you dig into it, it is not too bad. The only special tool I use is the IPD crank pulley holder, but you don't need that, just makes it a bit easier. It is not an $1100 job, that is too much. And the water pump & belt tensioner should be included in that job.

Check out rockauto.com and fcpeuro.com for the brake parts, very cheap.

I'm young and I'm new to cars and this forum so please try not to be so judgmental when I'm only trying to learn from you pros about something I'm really interested in.

There are some here that may be very "direct" with you. Do not get discouraged. There's a ton of knowledge archived here and a bunch of terrific people to help you.

Post up some pix when you get a minute.

I was just thinking about how, as a young man, I was fortunate enough to have several neighbors that were into cars. I would ride my BMX bike down the road after dinner to see if any garage doors were up, then hang out and watch and listen. And dream about someday. My son has an interest in cars and has helped me on many projects. But I've never "mentored" a neighbor kid. I think that would be fun.

Welcome! I'm 21, so don't feel like this forum is just full of old farts (just kidding I am an old fart on the inside). The best advice I can give is to keep in mind what you're capable of and prioritize maintenance/safety (the unsexy stuff) over everything.

I guarantee you your ownership experience will be a lot more pleasant if you do.

Timing belt may sound scary but it's very easy on these cars (plus cheap). Take your time, do the tensioner and pump too and don't skimp out on cheap AutoZone parts or whatever. It sounds like you're pretty inexperienced so you might want to pick a day when you have nothing else on the schedule to get this done. If the best quote from a trustworthy mechanic you can get is really $1100 then you're looking at saving ~$1000. Decent parts for these cars are inexpensive relative to others.

Back