• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Upgrading the intercooler

shutterlug

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of dumb questions, but how much of an improvement is the Isuzu NPR intercooler? I know it's the drop-in, but is the stock one really that bad? Just wondering if it would be worth it to find one as an upgrade...

Okay, I'm running a stock turbo with no extra boost. I'm not going to pump it up, but I figure if I can get it to run more efficiently, I'll do that.

What years did Isuzu make the NPR that fits the Volvo?

Okay, so how easy is it to find an NPR? And how much will it run? I've seen one here and there, but I want to make sure I don't spend a lot on the wrong part.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of dumb questions, but how much of an improvement is the Isuzu NPR intercooler? I know it's the drop-in, but is the stock one really that bad? Just wondering if it would be worth it to find one as an upgrade...

HUGE

Get a 27 row one

Its too cold and late to get an exact measurement right now, but it is very close to the same height as a radiator. Maybe 0.5" to 1" shorter as seen here kind of:

npr_installed3.jpg

It's very nice. I think it was the reason I was able to run a fair amount of boost and get no audible pinging, even on my high compression motor.

Hm. Getting some mixed messages. Some on the board think I'd be better off getting a dp and 3" exhaust instead of doing the upgraded intercooler. I don't know that I'm ready to take the step of exhaust just yet, but the intercooler seems fairly simple if I get an NPR. I think there's one on ebay (thanks for the rec...never thought of that... :-P) that looks pretty good, but it was for a diesel truck. Still work on the Volvo?

sure it will, the truck one are better in my opinion, cheaper, stronger and BIGGER!

Are the truck ones drop-ins or will it take some working? It has only 20 rows (I counted), but for me the ease of installation is important. And is bigger better?

This one isn't cheap, but if it's superior to the regular NPRs, I'm game. I'm hoping to add an e-fan at some point, as well, so I'm hoping it won't spoil my chances for that.

hey guys, not that i can afford either at the moment as i am completely broke but what would you guys think is the best upgrade out of an NPR or fredschips. You can see my current mods by looking in the sig.

Back