• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Lucifer

275s are also unnecessary for a 300-400hp car. Buy tires that fit in a compound that grips.

Huh, thats simply an opinion based on what you would do with the car......not what someone else may do or want to do with the car.

the tires are conti sport contact 2, so good tires. it should only weigh 2800lbs. I want the widest tires possible. This is not a budget build lol, like under $100k?

This is what is confusing to me, and even though I have no dog in this fight, what do you want to do with the car? Is it an all around fun car, drag car, street car, autocross, road race?

Personally unless your goal is to road race the car or be a serious cone killer I would stuff the stickiest 245 on it that you can. Some of the tires out now are a 200 treadwear tire that stick like a race tire in most conditions. RE71r and Rivals are two of the top tires.

Its a ton of work to get 275's to fit in the rear and to find a shop that is going to do it is going to be big money and if exterior paint is of a concern to you, you will need to reshoot the quarters of the car.

If its not a budget car, why run free tires or wheels with adapters?

Just my .02.

Are the wheels 18 x 9.5? Wondering about possible tire stretch with 245s on a 9.5 inch wheel unless you’re not against it. Personally I hate the look of stretched tires...

This is what is confusing to me, and even though I have no dog in this fight, what do you want to do with the car? Is it an all around fun car, drag car, street car, autocross, road race?

I got the wheels and tires for free and thought they would be fun to run on the car. Ill probably put the tires up for sale online somewhere then get a lower profile. It was just an idea. I already spent a ton of money at PRE this year, so am just putting more of the parts I've had in my garage on the car. Ideally it'll be a fun track day/auto cross car. Its more of a hobby to play with. I enjoy throwing large amounts of money at it. :e-shrug:
it's still maybe worth $5k even though I've spent maybe $30k+ on it in the last 15 years...It's a fun toy for me. It was the first car I ever bought too, so some sentimental attachment to it.

Here are some rough side pictures of the wheels and tires on the car. The centerbore of the Jag wheels are 1.7mm smaller than the centerbore of the volvo, so I need some lug centric on the Jag side spacers instead of hubcentric ones. the fronts rubbed on the front struts so need to be pushed out about 10mm (for 35 total) and the rears were pretty centered with the 32mm, but poked out about 4mm due to not being able to be seated from the bore differences. I'll try and get the tires properly mounted and balanced this weekend so I can see how things look with lowered down all the way.

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 231
  • REAR.jpg
    REAR.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 229
Sorry for being a little rough on my last post, sometimes the internet wears off of me.

I actually like the wheels, big fan of OEM wheels on other cars.

I am curious how well those fit after they are on the beads and aired up.

Keep on keeping on man.

no worries, I think they look classier than the tuner enkei wheels I bought for the car back in 2005. clean is definitely a more popular look than the tuner look from 15 years ago lol.

Drove the car last night on the freeway to 100... It melted #3 spark plug wire boot and wire this time, not #1 like it had been.

Someone suggested that my EGT is too high? It has a TD04HL-16T exhaust housing with a 6cm housing on it.
http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawaturbochargervolvo850s70glttd04hl-16tbillet-1-2.aspx
/\ that turbo. If i swapped to a 7cm angle housing instead of the conical one, would the exhaust temp go down? Blowing about 23psi-25psi through an NPR diesel intercooler.
Maybe a bigger intercooler would help? IAT is good, not super hot.

Sometimes it backfires at 5k+ rpm and full boost and makes a black smoke cloud, maybe blowing out one of the spark plugs?
Getting rid of the distributor is on the table next summer when I upgrade more things.

Oh yeah, I'm still doing things to this stupid car.
  • Stock turbo was a T3 .42 /.48 a/r, that made 18psi before dying
  • "upgraded" to a rare-ish .52 /.48 that made the same and puked it's seals out too
  • then a "known-good" TD04-16T was installed by ARD, made about 14psi on LH 2.2 before it
    had issues and blew out the seals and fouled the oxygen sensor.
    That turbo was on the car for about 10 miles and 4 years lol.

• P.R.E installed a 20T billet hybrid thing that made good power and crazy fast spool, but EGT was way too high @25psi with it's tiny 2.25" exhaust housing and kept melting things. That turbo was on for a few hours of dyno tuning, maybe 30 miles?

Attachments

• 20200405_185143.jpg
    20200405_185143.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
A couple months ago I bought a Holset he351cw with the "small" 4.4 inch exhaust housing outlet. I just sent the turbo out this week to be reclocked and have the wastegate bracket adjusted so I can use the stock internal wastegate. I ported and polished the turbo to manifold port and hogged out the wastegate hole to an inch to reduce boost creep.

As soon as it's back from the fabricator, I'll get a new 4" downpipe welded up and installed. I'm working on re-routing the coolant lines for my heated radium catch can to clean up some space. Might relocate the overflow tank too because it's yellow and ugly. Maybe find a universal one to mount closer to the radiator?

Attachments

• 20200405_183941.jpg
    20200405_183941.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 20200420_173311.jpg
    20200420_173311.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 20200420_173255.jpg
    20200420_173255.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 438
I got the wheels and new spacers installed on the car and coilovers adjusted. had to raise the fronts 1.5" to clear the strut tubes. 40mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the rear. Nothing rubs, wheels can turn lock to lock no rubbing. A little rubbing on the rears under heavy compression, but overall everything fits with no major body work needed other than rolling the fenders.

The car is really really dirty, i might wash it this weekend so I can store it with a car cover on it again.

Attachments

• 20200406_151433.jpg
    20200406_151433.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 20200406_151452.jpg
    20200406_151452.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 436
  • 20200406_151504.jpg
    20200406_151504.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 438
Looks great, perfect stance. Can't believe how much the overall wheel wells fill up! So these are 275s and all you had to do was roll the fenders?

yep, ipd lowering springs on the rear and the 275's. raised the coilovers 1.5 inches in the front for the 245s. they were actually harder to fit that the rears. I've got adjustable torque rods to put them in the center of the wheel well and an adjustable panhard rod that i need to install too to center them left to right a little bit. Car rolls around the driveway with no rubbing.

Looks great! How did you roll the fenders? A fender rolling tool or something else? Everyone insisted to me the layers of thick steel couldn't be rolled so I haven't tried yet.

Those wheels look good! Are these the super large tires that came on the wheels or did you put smaller ones on?

Car rolls around the driveway with no rubbing.
Wait, so you haven't driven it with these wheels on yet? It'll rub then. :lol:

baby steps! rolling around is more than used to do...
#1 get the turbo back from re-clocking and rewelding the wastegate bracket, polish and reinstall
#2 measure, mock up and measure new downpipe and get that welded up
#3 redo intercooler pipes again
hopefully by that time i'll have enough money saved up to get it re-tuned back at PRE with the new turbo, maybe end of the summer?
that should be it for the year lol

Back