• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Disabling steering column / ignition lock without key?

v8volvo

Disabling 200 series steering column / ignition lock without key?

This is related to the car discussed in another thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=356756

I decided to drag it home and try to save the drivetrain for another project. The rest of the car is really too far gone to be worth anyone's time, even with the diesel VIN, now that I have had time to look at it more closely. Needs paint on every panel, interior is beat, etc. I'm going to discourage everyone who expressed interest in hauling it somewhere else, but it'll be OK as a parts donor.

I got new keys cut to VIN by Volvo, but they don't work. Presumably another example of Volvo's support for the old rigs getting worse or less consistent, or the car was re-keyed at some point. Anyway, without any keys, I can't get the car out of there and onto the trailer since the column is locked. Hotwiring the engine is no problem but I need to be able to turn the wheels.

Anyone have a good trick to releasing the column lock on a 200 series? Big screwdriver and big hammer do the job to smash the ignition cylinder apart? Other approaches that are known to work? Don't really want to go over there and spend an hour mangling the thing without getting it freed up.

Spend $25-$35 and have a key cut from the door lock cylinder. I doubt your car was re-keyed. In my experience, Volvo gets the keys right about 70% of the time from the VIN.

Pull the steering shaft.

Then what? Put vise grips on the splined stub and steer it that way? Gotta be an easier way.

Spend $25-$35 and have a key cut from the door lock cylinder. I doubt your car was re-keyed. In my experience, Volvo gets the keys right about 70% of the time from the VIN.

I thought about that and tried a few locksmiths, feels like a little more effort than I want to go through, pulling the door apart, etc. Might be the only way though. That's funny about the 70% guess, I used to have keys made by the dealer regularly 10-20 years ago and they were always right on, but this is the second case of a misfit I have heard of in the last year. Maybe they used to do a better job keeping track of the info than they do now.

Nobody knows if you can just punch out the lock with a mallet and chisel? No one here has ever tried to steal a 240? (I'll finish the joke myself -- no, 240s are not worth stealing :-P)

You can punch the lock. I have been forced to do that more than once. Count on having to use a die grinder as well as good quality drills. The combo of die cast pot metal and hardened rollers makes it quite a process to drill out the lock. Count on breaking a few twist drills in the process. There is no putting a screw driver in the lock and turning it like you can on an 80's Ford. Those cars can be stolen in less that 5 seconds. Plan on an hour or two destroying the lock on that 240. BTW, you don't have to take the door apart to get the lock out. Use the passenger door lock. All you have to do is remove the two screws that secure the lock retention plate to the door, use a thin punch to push the plate off into the door, pull the lock cylinder out. It will take you less than 3 minutes. Now, if you want to reinstall the door cylinder, then, you have to remove the door panel.

You can pull the ignition/lock assembly off the column in about 20-30min if you know what you're doing. That allows you to turn the wheels without having a key.

Edit: Apparently there are 3ish versions of steering column and lock depending on years. I had the easy-peasy bolt on one, super easy to take off the switch with the clamshell mount.

Later ones are pressed on.

http://cleanflametrap.com/ign_sw.html

Yes. Those you certainly can. I didn’t think about that. His diesel is probably old enough it may have that type in it.

Edit: The 1982 244 steering column I have here has the clamshell type you mentioned. His 1980 should have the same type in it. Easy. Good catch.

Last edited:
Interesting, good info, thanks, now we are getting somewhere.

So with the early "clamshell" style looks like you can unbolt half of the strap that holds the lock assembly to the column. But what if the locking pawl is extended and engaged? Will it still come off of the column once you get the screws out? It looks like it might be able to.

Back