• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Smog Ref and a +t

Or pull your **** off every two years. Not hyped for this summer, mines coming up

If only someone nearby had a diesel car or 75 they wanted to sell:e-shrug:

pull it off every two years?! Thats sounds like a blast....

if only they would pay what its worth.

Could also look at vehicle smog cut points. Then you can pick a year that has high limits. A 76 I have has a limit of 1100 for nox which is pretty high.

pull it off every two years?! Thats sounds like a blast.....

Could also look at vehicle smog cut points. Then you can pick a year that has high limits. A 76 I have has a limit of 1100 for nox which is pretty high.

Shouldn't be too bad I'm planning my conversation now "no those holes arnt for an inter cooler, ignore those oil lines they are for an oil cooler"

The issue is passing a visual, If it was just tailpipe (like it should be) then even a +t done well would pass.

Why can't they go back to rolling 30 year cutoff

Yeah he was in sac. Ref said he needed head mounted dizzy for 2.4. Even tho the block one is just a transfer basically.
Buy a diesel car and be done with it. Or a 75.

Or pull your **** off every two years. Not hyped for this summer, mines coming up

If only someone nearby had a diesel car or 75 they wanted to sell
:e-shrug:

pull it off every two years?! Thats sounds like a blast....

if only they would pay what its worth.

You sell them for ~#$2.5K are you not happy with that?

Last edited:
The blurry photo bucket link wagon I was involved with. They didn't care about the distributor. But EVERYTHING else had to match. Find a federal car if you can, non egr. Or just diesel swap it and have the ref come to your house. Engine just needs to be in the car, doesn't even need to run from what I've heard

I am. Most just see the price as the hurdle not the end goal.

To be fair five times $500 is kind of a hurdle on TB.

Was that the 92 b230ft swapped wagon? Toms ellecks old car? Think he or the ref used a certain model year cause it had something to do with postal mail trucks iirc for one year.

The 92 was Andy's #412 verdigris green car.

Edit:

The mail truck thing was the 185R14 LT takeoffs from the Grumman LLV.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be too bad I'm planning my conversation now "no those holes arnt for an inter cooler, ignore those oil lines they are for an oil cooler"

The issue is passing a visual, If it was just tailpipe (like it should be) then even a +t done well would pass.

Why can't they go back to rolling 30 year cutoff

I would be happy with relaxing visual inspections for OBD 0 and OBD 1 cars. There are some inconsistencies between how those are tested and OBD 2 cars. If anything they should mandate sniffer tests for OBD 2 if the VW Diesel scandal showed us anything. A close friend's 240 failed the visual in Pleasanton because he had to splice a new MAF sensor connector into the wiring harness.

Adding an oil cooler is definitely allowed. They would definitely get suspicious with the intercooler. Although that isn't hard to take off. I just slather red paint on my plugged turbo oil drain fitting and hope they don't notice.

I am wondering at this point if a car with 10.2:1 compression, some port work, and a cam will pass. Given that I have a good head sitting in my basement. I was going to do the light port and polish anyway just because I want to learn how and the head was next to free. Just forgo the turbo and run the car NA.

Last edited:
Well the inconsistency comes from the states data base annnnnd what the tech plugs in during tests. So its always evolving or changing even if its wrong. So if a tech passes a car and plugs info in wrong guess what it goes into the dats base. Isnt that great?!

Last edited:
Find a cool smog shop that's not going to bust balls about visuals. I had one in Oakland when I lived there. Moved up north and it is as just as easy to find one. First shop up here said "you don't have a vacuum advance on your distributor". Enough said. I'm outta here. Second shop didn't give an F as long as you pass the sniffer. They've passed me about five times now.
I totally agree, but can you elaborate how? In my experience, they take your money first, punch your info into the state's computer, and only then start looking at the car.

In any such borderline situations, the narc to the state is the most troubling. I can't prove it, but I suspect getting a big red "fail" mark on a car's record is always going to be cause for future suspicion. I once found a tech (by pure accident) in Berkeley who offered to run a machine in "manual mode", simulating a test on the rollers while I watched the numbers on screen. He unfortunately is no longer in the business. Sure would love to find another such friendly tech.

Anyone with a suggestion, PM me? And I'll bet the OP could use this info as well.

Obviously, I would not expect a tech to spend the time for free, since an unannounced pre-test could be very valuable. Much cheaper than buying a 4-gas analyzer, when you want to have an idea of where you stand.

I totally agree, but can you elaborate how? In my experience, they take your money first, punch your info into the state's computer, and only then start looking at the car.

In any such borderline situations, the narc to the state is the most troubling. I can't prove it, but I suspect getting a big red "fail" mark on a car's record is always going to be cause for future suspicion. I once found a tech (by pure accident) in Berkeley who offered to run a machine in "manual mode", simulating a test on the rollers while I watched the numbers on screen. He unfortunately is no longer in the business. Sure would love to find another such friendly tech.

Anyone with a suggestion, PM me? And I'll bet the OP could use this info as well.

Obviously, I would not expect a tech to spend the time for free, since an unannounced pre-test could be very valuable. Much cheaper than buying a 4-gas analyzer, when you want to have an idea of where you stand.

I have a level 1 certified smog tech that can work on it too, but you can't bring him any molested garbage cars.

3snjp1.jpg

forget the BAR stuff, smog your car and then do a super clean + T, keep all the old parts and once every 2 years pull the turbo stuff out and put the NA stuff back in for your next smog, be a good time to clean everything and you should be able to do it in a weekend

forget the BAR stuff, smog your car and then do a super clean + T, keep all the old parts and once every 2 years pull the turbo stuff out and put the NA stuff back in for your next smog, be a good time to clean everything and you should be able to do it in a weekend

Or buy a little bit faster car like perhaps a V6 Camry and forget about the whole thing.

Back