• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

I fixed the charging issue this morning. Sometimes I just need to use my brain and realize that if I'm not getting power to the instrument cluster, then the alternator exciter wire is probably not getting power either. Somewhere in my mad frenzy of underdash wiring I made an error and didn't ensure power was going to the instrument cluster. A quick jumper wire from terminal 13 on the fuse box and everything is working again, including my dash lights, gas gauge and engine temp gauge.

So with the car running at 14 volts this morning I took it for a test drive around the block. Couldn't resist any longer, so gave it some gas in second gear and got into boost. Probably 2-3 psi was all, but enough to make my Tial BOV make some noise. The turbo whine is pretty sweet too. Now that I don't have to charge the battery every time I start the car I can get into some real tuning.

Finally, picked up a T5 out of an '89 Mustang 5.0 last night. Should be getting the driveshaft and shifter later this week. It's not pretty, but it wasn't expensive. Don't know if the T5 will happen this year, but as soon as I get the driveshaft all I need is an sdturbo/YoshiFab adaptor and I'll have everything to do the conversion.

82-242-T5.jpg

Don't touch the car with that tranny...yet! Drive it this summer as it is and enjoy it...get all the kinks worked out...do some tuning and then over the winter swap that T-5 in. This way it's ready for next season on the very first nice day to do some T-5 tuning.

Don't touch the car with that tranny...yet! Drive it this summer as it is and enjoy it...get all the kinks worked out...do some tuning and then over the winter swap that T-5 in. This way it's ready for next season on the very first nice day to do some T-5 tuning.

That's probably about right. Really I only have a few months left until the snow flies, and then the car's inside until April/May. Plus I only have a handful of free weekends remaining through October. I still want to get it on the dyno this year though :)

Thanks. I drove it for about 30 minutes this evening and it felt good. I've got the idle pretty smooth right around 1000 rpm, and it doesn't dip down or struggle in traffic which is nice. My brother is headed to town this weekend so progress may be limited, but I should get some time on Sunday to work on it. I'm loving it so far :cool:

Car is back at the body shop for some final touches. Should have it back on Thursday or Friday. Going to lock myself in the garage again this weekend and have another big progress session. The guys at the body shop gave me some "genuine BMW" heat shield that didn't fit a customer's car properly. They strongly recommended covering the inside of the hood on top of the header. I should probably do something on the right strut tower too.

Got pulled over on the way to the body shop for no front plate and expired inspection. The VT State Trooper seemed more amused by the car than anything else. He let me off with a written warning, then told me all about the Oldsmobile that he restored :lol:

I guess I'll have to figure out a front plate for the car. I was thinking something off to the side that bolts directly to the bottom of the bumper and hangs in front of the lower valance. That way I can easily remove it for taking photos, and it won't directly contact the paintwork.

I just got the car back from the body shop on Wednesday. They fixed a couple spots on the hood and buffed the entire car. Paint looks even better than before. Anyway, I need a NOS or really really nice used piece of black door trim for the passenger side. I have a used one that I'm going to clean up and try, but if someone can find me a NOS one I'd be eternally grateful! Volvo lists it as NLA. The part number is 1247168.

I want this side:
242-right-side-trim.jpg

To look like this side:
242-left-side-trim.jpg

Did some fuel tuning on the car this weekend with favorable results. Air/fuel ratios in boost are in the 11.8-12.5 range according to the LM-1. Idle and cruising are in the 14-15 range. Always starts right away and idles nicely.

Still only running off the 0.5 bar wastegate spring, but the car feels much quicker than it ever did with the stock B21FT. It sounds absolutely nasty when the wastegate opens. I hope to drive it for a couple more weeks this year and then it will go away until the spring.

Even though I've been really busy lately, it's been a productive 2009 all around. I'm looking forward to breaking things next year :)

First is getting it back together, i.e. putting a dash and interior in. Then the short list into next year is:

Electric fan
Walbro 255 and relocating the fuel filter
Ford T5 and Truetrac LSD
Black coupe seats (looking for E36 M3)
Big valve 531/IPD Turbo (or better) cam
RX-7 oil cooler

I have the head, cam, oil cooler, fuel pump, fan and most of the T5 parts. Need the LSD and seats.

Right now it has Koni yellows all around with B&G lowering springs and IPD 25/25 mm bars. I need to lower the front a bit more by removing a coil or so. Eventually, as the budget allows, fully adjustable coilovers would be nice. However, it's not and will never be a race car, so the current suspension is pretty decent for the street.

Hi.. What a very nice 242 Build :) amazing work on the car, what power are you looking for ? were did you get the turbo manifold from ?

Back