• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 740 Wagon Transmission Issues

chronicrhythm

The past couple days my transmission has started to act poorly. It suddenly has not been shifting from 1-2 easy and now it is having trouble shifting into 3rd at some points too. I have to let off the gas for it to shift from 1st to 2nd and then it usually goes right into 3rd from there, skipping 2nd. Then on the highway today it was stop and go traffic which seemed to really amplify the problems. Once I would get to 40 mph it would act as if it was halfway between 2nd and 3rd. I would have to rev it up to 4000 rpm's or higher to get the engine to match the transmission but when I was off the gas at the same speed it would idle at 1500 rpms. Then I put it into second gear and the same thing but the rpm's would be in the 2500 range when off the gas which made it seem like it was somehow between 2nd and 3rd gear. I do mostly highway driving and don't beat on it. Its a regina car so it doesn't have that ability to get beat on really. Transmission fluid has not been flushed since I've owned it (1 year and 25000 miles) but it is nice and red and doesn't smell. I also checked my kickdown cable and it seems functional. It returns nicely but I noticed it doesn't have a detent like most others have. Could this be an aftermarket cable? I've read that there are check balls that wear out over time. Is this a super common thing? I see there are lots of guides and would probably be able to deal with that job but don't want to have to dive in if it's not worth it. Or is it time to manual swap the thing?
Sorry for the long write up but it is tough to explain what it is doing in a short paragraph.

RE: "...40 mph...rev it up to 4000 rpm's or higher to get the engine to match the transmission...same speed it would idle at 1500 rpms...."

AW70L does not engage lockup until 45mph...below this, with foot off throttle, engine will idle down.

I suspect your kickdown cable needs to be replaced...when my finally fizzled, I had to drive home in 1st gear

Check your trans plate and see what tranny you have.

RE: "...40 mph...rev it up to 4000 rpm's or higher to get the engine to match the transmission...same speed it would idle at 1500 rpms...."

AW70L does not engage lockup until 45mph...below this, with foot off throttle, engine will idle down.

I suspect your kickdown cable needs to be replaced...when my finally fizzled, I had to drive home in 1st gear

Check your trans plate and see what tranny you have.

Checked the trans plate and it is indeed an AW70L

Scroll down this page until Kickdown cable replacement

There are pics there,
tranny%20spindle02.jpg

This is what I used to replace mine

So I drove the car yesterday and it seems the issue shows itself once it warms up. I put lots of slack in the kickdown cable and it still shifted very late. It shifted decently for the first 3 miles or so and then got really bad as it had in the videos and it wouldn't shift past 3rd gear. I ordered a new kickdown cable and the gaskets so I will hopefully be able to drop the pan on wednesday and get that sorted out. I hope it isn't a worn valve ball because after reading some guides I think taking apart the valve body is a little bit out of my league.
So hopefully it will fix itself once I get a new kickdown cable in there and the flush done

So hopefully it will fix itself once I get a new kickdown cable ...

When transmission pan is removed....someone can massage the throttle pedal, while someone else watches cable rotate in transmission....see above photo.

RE: "out of my league"

If I had to do this, I would remove transmission....but know how to do it before doing it.

Problem today would be finding someone who knows this transmission. If valve body can be repaired without transmission being removed, I consider this route if price is not too high. Here's the manual

I think overhaul kits are several hundred bucks, but I have no idea what they contain for a master kit.

When transmission pan is removed....someone can massage the throttle pedal, while someone else watches cable rotate in transmission....see above photo.

RE: "out of my league"

If I had to do this, I would remove transmission....but know how to do it before doing it.

Problem today would be finding someone who knows this transmission. If valve body can be repaired without transmission being removed, I consider this route if price is not too high. Here's the manual

I think overhaul kits are several hundred bucks, but I have no idea what they contain for a master kit.
Thanks for responding and giving so much information. I'll update it as I get into it.

Back