• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mercedes oil cooler

N97746

Planning on a +T this summer, gathering parts now. Buddy is dismantling an '84 MB turbodiesel and offered me the oil cooler. I have the setup off a 740 turbo but there is some pitting on the cooler where the air scoop made contact. Didn't want to use it, as is, and get a leak down the road. I could see about having it repaired or just re-plumb and use the MB unit. I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that it was a step up from the 740 turbo cooler but a more reasonable size than the RX7 unit.
Additional info, '93 engine, NPR, 16T, probably a 2 1/2 exhaust currently T cam. To be used as fun car to forget about work etc.
Thanks

The Mercedes unit is OEM, made by Behr. Didn't get exact measurements but was about 17x4x1 3/4 or so. Located alongside the radiator, like the Volvo unit, so pretty well protected. No bent fins etc.
I did mention it was free?

The Mercedes unit is OEM, made by Behr. Didn't get exact measurements but was about 17x4x1 3/4 or so. Located alongside the radiator, like the Volvo unit, so pretty well protected. No bent fins etc.
I did mention it was free?

If it is free I would figure out what other parts you need to get it to fit and then compare it to the cost of OE Volvo replacement parts. That should make you decision pretty easy.

In my experience a lot of OE Mercedes stuff prior to the Daimler-Benz/Chrysler merger is rock solid.

Last edited:
John, I do have a complete water to oil cooler, but when I was mocking things up for clearance issues it seems that the end of the oil filter will be very close to the turbo downpipe. While the sandwich plate will move it away from that area, I'll just have to contend with keeping oil off the engine mount during filter changes.

Spock, the cooler will be coming off an early '80s model. everything on that car seems pretty well made. Good idea though to make a list of adapter fittings, hose etc. to see what the cost will be.

Back