• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

Got the crossmember back from powdercoat. I think it looks great. I installed it and bled the clutch, but it didn't feel like it was releasing properly. I will re bleed it and if that doesn't work, I'll pull the trans again and check my throwout bearing adjustment.

R0Wficyh.jpg

4oT49csh.jpg

While I've been doing this transmission stuff, I've also been remaking my engine bay wiring harness. I wasn't too happy about my old harness, I had no idea what I was doing, made some concessions, and wasn't sure it would work like I wanted it to. This time around I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I know a little bit more. This harness has much better splices, is only tefzel wire, and is concentric twisted (at least my ignorant attempt at twisting). In any case, I'm really happy with how it's looking so far. I still need to put some lacing on it, test fit it, cut the branches to length, put Raychem DR-25 and molded boots on, and install the connectors, but the hard part is done. The twisting made a huge difference. It's much more flexible than my old harness.

DFxsd7Gh.jpg

QpM12Uqh.jpg

VWupGNgh.jpg

HVAuzUmh.jpg

Finally finished up my wiring harness. It took way too long because I didn't order everything at once, and messed up a few times with the DR-25 so I had to wait for shipping over the holidays. I had never used the heat shrink transition boots before, and I didn't do them perfectly, but they look good enough for me. The RT-125 epoxy was kinda hard to control, but with my trusty cardboard box, clamps, and a small heater, I think I did ok. I'm really happy with the CAS setup. I put a 4 pin Deutsch DT connector on the idle air valve bracket so I can swap between either style of DSM CAS.

It felt really good driving my car for the first time since before thanksgiving. The transmission feels nice, but I can definitely see why people say the TKO is notchy. During a shift, you definitely feel when it passes through neutral and goes into the next gear. It doesn't bug me too much, and I think it'll smooth out a bit once I get some miles on it.

MYGPiw3h.jpg

le1XOHIh.jpg

jBMvPrlh.jpg

u5HoXQph.jpg

bLBr5Eih.jpg

u9u0w3Zh.jpg

Very nicely done on the harness. I might have to go to such OCD levels on my 242 Whiteblock build. What engine management in this baby?

ah ok.

Sounds like the clutch/slave is all set up and playing nicely after the trans swap?

Seems to be working ok. Pedal is still pretty stiff, but maybe I just don't remember how hard it was since the last time I drove it was before thanksgiving.

Also, I forgot how grabby that clutch is. It's very different from my sister's manual Ford Focus I was driving for a bit.

Also, I forgot how grabby that clutch is. It's very different from my sister's manual Ford Focus I was driving for a bit.

How many miles on it? Mine definitely did settle in a bit after 500 or so miles but I think you're past that point by now.

Definitely won't be like a focus though. I get in my SAAB right out of the 242 sometimes and try to put the pedal through the floor, then spend the first few shifts remembering how normal cars feel.

Back