• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 final drive ratio

The 225/50R16 will fit without issue, same size I'm running on a similar wheel.
You will want a 3.31 with that diameter of tire.
What 5th gear ratio does your T5 have?

0.68:1

The rare-bear 3.15 '83 3-speed auto 760TD if it's a 6.0 alum LS with most of the trans available with ~.80 OD & stock diameter tires for a street car?.

But probably 3.31s oftentimes from manual EFI 83+ 240s / 92-94 solid axle 965s for you 7/9 solid axle guys of stuff that's cheap/commonly junkyard available?
N/A manual 4-cyl 700s have 3.31s as well, though 92-94 960 are a lot more common...anymore.

3.31s pretty common, 3.15 very rare, 3.54s somewhat rare (manual Diesels, 700 Turbo), some canadian GLT w/B23E/3-speed autotragic if they haven't all been crushed/rusted out/canadian wreckers don't want a million dollars for any one single part/full service only or drive foooorever to a self-serve junkyard where those cars probably aren't (Kelowna or Kamloops?)/all gone by now.

I’d go with a 3.15, like you said if I can find one.

Last I checked the local guy Volvo speciality guy wants $60 CAD for an axel. lol.

I wasn’t too sure the 7 series axels would fit the 2 series.

Chances of finding a 3.15 gear set is nearly zero. 3.31 will work fine for you. The small block Ford engine is not a low rpm torque monster like the LSX Chevrolet engine is. My LS1 with T56 pulls along at 1500 rpm no problem. Those Ford small blocks like running closer to 2,000 rpm cruising.

Start with a 200/75 164 1031 axle or have the tools/time to change the gears, your choice.

7/9 axles no fit 200, correct.
Odds of finding 3.15 gear set basically zero. Seen 1 in the last 10-20 years walking past 10,000+ volvos.

3.31:1 probably just fine, especially for the SBF.

I’m so thankful for this thread. I have been suffering with the factory 3.91 and wondering where to go next.
I'm heading to Port Norris and Cape May, returning on the ferry this weekend, I'll look for a gearset tomorrow. All I have loose is 3.55 (1030), 3.73, 4.10 (1031). But I have some rears, I'll count toofs.

When I first built mt V8 wagon {1989}, It had 3,90 gears. I run a power glide transmission, low would shift out @ 64 MPH in under 4 sec. Top end was about 120 MPH, but you could reach that in 15 sec. 2009 I changed the rear to 3.31 gears. Now it shifts out of low @ 75 MPH. Remember, I am running a 2 speed automatic transmission. With the 3.31 gears it is a lot different than the 3.90 gear set. Driving the car on the highway today the engine is less busy, but it still can get up and leave. 3.55 would be a happy medium.

The rare-bear 3.15 '83 3-speed auto 760TD

3.31s pretty common, 3.15 very rare, 3.54s somewhat rare (manual Diesels, 700 Turbo)

Did that 3.15 ever actually exist? I don't think it did. The 3spd BW55 '83 760TD was planned and was shown in publicity materials, but to my knowledge never actually produced for the US. Just as well because they would have sucked like the rest of the BW setups did. '83 760 TD was all M46/3.54, at least every one I have ever seen. Then they brought out the ZF 4HP 4spd auto for the TD cars in '84-onward which had a 3.91 and was a nice setup.

Odds of finding 3.15 gear set basically zero. Seen 1 in the last 10-20 years walking past 10,000+ volvos.

3.31:1 probably just fine, especially for the SBF.

Chances of finding a 3.15 gear set is nearly zero. 3.31 will work fine for you. The small block Ford engine is not a low rpm torque monster like the LSX Chevrolet engine is. My LS1 with T56 pulls along at 1500 rpm no problem. Those Ford small blocks like running closer to 2,000 rpm cruising.

Agree with both of you except I really think (it's an academic point anyway :-P) that the chance of finding a set of 3.15 gears IS zero. Kjets you actually saw one?? What was it in?

You are both also right, in my experience and back to the OP's question, that 3.31 gears are good for the 5.0/T5 combo. That was what I had in my '89 745 5.0/T5 swap. I was lucky since I was starting with a 16V B234F/M46 wagon that already had the tall gears so that saved me having to look for them. First gear was still short enough off the line, and think I remember around 2000 rpm at 65mph in 5th which was just about perfect. You wouldn't really want it spinning any slower, it already got very good mileage turning that speed and was quiet and relaxed, but still had plenty of punch ready so that you could get around someone without having to downshift. Anything taller and I think there would be no gains, and you'd miss the throttle response or have to drop a gear to pass. As Roy noted the 302 is a short stroke motor that likes to rev, not lug. They give their best in the midrange, where they are excellent performers still, even today 30 years later.

I've seen one 3.15 that I can verify 100%.
In '83 (Built sometime '82) 764TD exactly like you'd think it would be.

Damascus self-serve junkyard, 100+ volvo RWDs on the back few rows for several years running, ~Y2K before digital cameras were common?
10+ 240Turbos at a given time, walked past what was ?~$1,000,000? in 240Turbo-specific parts in today's dollars over time, inflation-adjusted before they recently became pretty worthless again/no cars left to put them on?

Not totally uncommon, TD or V6 '83 760s I've seen both with BW55, diesels were somewhat weird that way; they didn't always get the flagship trans option first on flagship/limited production models.

That ZF trans probably wasn't ready to go as soon as the Aisin was?
Remember, they used the ZF auto in N/A gas 700s starting in 85 model-year (built in 1984) with fuel-saving/still-emissions-passing @ 55mph cruise (tho USA emissions testing procedures (not steady state fed. mandate 55-stay-alive cruise anymore) changed 83+ as did bumper regulations) stronger torque converter clutch than the Aisins offered with MUCH stronger OD/1:1 direct drive/converter locked up out of OD possible for towing for the N/A 4-banger common redblock models?

Kinda same as the 164 in that way; D-jet till the bitter end, no K-jet; low production volume model, why make changes if they don't (yet) have a path to carry on/over as interchange with the newer/higher production volume models?

Whereas the 240Turbo got the 4-speed auto-tragic that was going to be an across-the-board change for all 4cylinders a year early ('82), but 260 didn't IIRC/they were about to kill the 260 model off.
Volvo makes sense that way; use whatever you have laying around, limited production models have soldier on unchanged if they're about to be killed off often times & the parts have no future across the board high production # use?

Took them a minute to have the B28/B280 bellhousing ready to go and decide to use the AW-71 on the V6 cars too...that's such a weird obscure partnership/abortion with Eagle/Dodge/Renault/Peugeot how that played out.

TLDR; uncovered the sticker/verified at least one 3.15 existed and counted teeth & pulled it for someone with a V8.
"Some of us actually do these things."
Worked ok when the ford SBF was all the rage before the LS motors were littering every JY/only used in a few years in 98+ corvette/camaros of common/cheap production cars with a blown 347 stroker SBF & 2.95-.80 ratio spread before 6-speeds were common IIRC?
T5s are garbage, had to spend big $ to get a TKO or live with a 4-speed or auto-tragic in those days often or buy an expensive Doug Nash OD or gearvendors OD.
Dark/primitive days.

Last edited:
I had a car with 3.08 gears once. Never again.

Depends on your gearbox ratios and tire size.

Having a short final with a 3.35:1 first is almost useless and you have to shift like a bastard into second to keep the momentum going. Why do you think most old fox body T-5 2nd gear synchros are toast?

I'm currently running an oversize 26.5" tall tire with 3.73s. and it revs at 2000rpm going 62mph (100kph)

If I go to the original tire size around ~25.5" tall and change over to 3.31 that car will rev at 1860rpm going 62mph.

I will be able to go an extra 3mph in first, 5mph in second, 6mph in third, and an extra 9mph in fourth. It may not seem like much but every little bit counts. I don't loose much in the acceleration department either

A 3.15 would be the bee's knees though...

T5s are kinda a planned obsolescence domestic travesty junk/barely strong enough for bone-stock pretty gently driven light weight unibody smogger 305/350 chebby's or EFI 5.0s often driven by the mullet crowd for the most part.

Tough break; V6/4cyl ratios/strength are garbage/as bad as an M46, but junkyard units less abused/better condition, closest of the V8 ratios we commonly got state-side were 2.95-.72 in the IROCs, and we can imagine how all the IROC-Zs were driven with that ratio spread & higher output 350SBCs :lol:.
Most IROCs with optional higher output 350s are mostly auto-tragic, as are most -'04 mustang V6.

By the time you find a cheap junkyard later low mile/minimally abused -'04 mustang V6 2.95 1st gear ratio T5 in good shape and turd polish it for closer ratios/V8 input shaft and non-emissions/CAFE fuel economy friendly .72 or .80 OD/5th, you can probably save yourself some labor time & just go ahead and buy a new T5 (with the k@@l-Aid ratios you want, tho in what quality control (china knockoff parts/not held to implied vehicle warranties/OEM quality control standards?(/TKO/used CD009 6-speed (no cheap replacement parts but stronger/better made & abundant used/junkyard) or something better for generic manual RWD transmissions?

2.95-.72/80 ratio spread not abused T5 with only a (stock(ish)?) N/A 5.0 in a not too heavy car/minimal reflected moment of inertia probably last a while if not abused?
Installed/freshened a couple of those that were healthy with "not pathetic" results given the expectations.
Of course you have to make/buy a fancy/not totally chinesium shifter for it & buy a $$$ circular output flange often for longer wheel-base 2-pc driveline cars for strength/no vibes/full articulation, too. :roll:

Swap in an automatic?

Last edited:
I'm looking out for a used T-5z or a T-5 from a '92-93 Cobra and I'll be good. I like the .68 or .63 overdrive... No point in kidding myself and trying to make it a straight-up close ratio 5-speed. It's a 4-speed with an overdrive for the sole purpose of fuel economy. Thats it. Same goes with the T56... it's just a 4-speed with two overdrives. I'm fine with that.

As you mention... my car does have a vibration in the pilot shaft. Will start a thread on the that later...

Swap in an automatic?

Why?

This reminds me of my favourite customer when I was selling GMs. Most guys that bought the C7 Vette went for the turbo-hydramatic slush box. "0h, it goes 0-60 faster, blah, blah, blah". Of course we had to say the same thing as sales people because finding a 7-speed stick car was almost impossible because most dealers never stocked them. Most of them were sold orders.

In comes "John" looking to buy a Vette. He was talking to another salesman who was giving him the speal about "how much better" the automatic is. "John" had enough... he screams out "I don't give a fly in? f* about being faster! I just want to make that car my bitch!"

I found and sold him a basic 7-speed Stingray. Which is spec I?d go for personally. You can push the envelope without computer-nanny and not kill yourself. Way more fun.

Last edited:
I've seen one 3.15 that I can verify 100%.
In '83 (Built sometime '82) 764TD exactly like you'd think it would be.

Damascus self-serve junkyard, 100+ volvo RWDs on the back few rows for several years running, ~Y2K before digital cameras were common?
10+ 240Turbos at a given time, walked past what was ?~$1,000,000? in 240Turbo-specific parts in today's dollars over time, inflation-adjusted before they recently became pretty worthless again/no cars left to put them on?

Not totally uncommon, TD or V6 '83 760s I've seen both with BW55, diesels were somewhat weird that way; they didn't always get the flagship trans option first on flagship/limited production models.

That ZF trans probably wasn't ready to go as soon as the Aisin was?
Remember, they used the ZF auto in N/A gas 700s starting in 85 model-year (built in 1984) with fuel-saving/still-emissions-passing @ 55mph cruise (tho USA emissions testing procedures (not steady state fed. mandate 55-stay-alive cruise anymore) changed 83+ as did bumper regulations) stronger torque converter clutch than the Aisins offered with MUCH stronger OD/1:1 direct drive/converter locked up out of OD possible for towing for the N/A 4-banger common redblock models?

Kinda same as the 164 in that way; D-jet till the bitter end, no K-jet; low production volume model, why make changes if they don't (yet) have a path to carry on/over as interchange with the newer/higher production volume models?

Whereas the 240Turbo got the 4-speed auto-tragic that was going to be an across-the-board change for all 4cylinders a year early ('82), but 260 didn't IIRC/they were about to kill the 260 model off.
Volvo makes sense that way; use whatever you have laying around, limited production models have soldier on unchanged if they're about to be killed off often times & the parts have no future across the board high production # use?

Took them a minute to have the B28/B280 bellhousing ready to go and decide to use the AW-71 on the V6 cars too...that's such a weird obscure partnership/abortion with Eagle/Dodge/Renault/Peugeot how that played out.

TLDR; uncovered the sticker/verified at least one 3.15 existed and counted teeth & pulled it for someone with a V8.
"Some of us actually do these things."
Worked ok when the ford SBF was all the rage before the LS motors were littering every JY/only used in a few years in 98+ corvette/camaros of common/cheap production cars with a blown 347 stroker SBF & 2.95-.80 ratio spread before 6-speeds were common IIRC?
T5s are garbage, had to spend big $ to get a TKO or live with a 4-speed or auto-tragic in those days often or buy an expensive Doug Nash OD or gearvendors OD.
Dark/primitive days.

Well there you go, so they did exist. The BW55 1983 only D24T 764 GLE is described in service literature but the early media reviews of them mention only the M46 being available. They must have built just a few with the 3spd auto before deciding it was a lame product for their brand new flagship model, and waiting for the ZF 4spd to be ready for MY84. That one you saw had to have been a very low serial number. Interesting. I always thought they had only existed on paper, never in the metal.

The ZF trans was in development in the early '80s and went into use on a bunch of different stuff, not just Volvos but also Jags, BMW, Range Rover, Porsche, etc. I think Volvo TD 760 cars in '84 were some of the first to get it, then as you say it showed up on NA B230F gassers also. Then the gassers switched back to all Aisin for a while but I think a few 940 NA cars had them again later? And the diesels had the ZF the whole way through. Wonderful transmission, don't know why Volvo didn't use them more and get rid of the AW boxes. The AWs are reasonably durable but much less refined. I don't think the ZF ever had 3rd gear lockup though, you might be thinking of the 940 AW40 trans on that. ZF has speed based lockup in OD only like an AW70L.

760 did get the AW71 for '83 though, I am almost certain on that. You say you saw some BW55 760 PRV cars too? Strange.

Sorry OP for the thread jack. I disagree that the T5 trans sucks, I think they're pretty good for what they are. Lightweight, cheap, reasonably tough. Not the world's best but a decent choice in many situations. I wouldn't put them in the same category as an M46, that's a trans that truly does suck AND has crap ratios AND is huge and heavy with the OD unit tacked on. :-P

Seems like the CD009 or AR5 are really the way to go for RWD MT swaps now, T5 is pretty obsolete but IMO still relevant, especially if it's an application where it bolts up easily and doesn't have too much hard work (torque plus heavy vehicle) to do.

Not a highjack...

I'll probably run it this way till it blows-up and do something else with it.

I have this strange idea of swapping in a high reving EFI 289 mated to a Getrag 265 "dog-leg" shift pattern gear box. Yeah, I'm nuts

I had a car with 3.08 gears once. Never again.
Depends on your gearbox ratios and tire size.

Having a short final with a 3.35:1 first is almost useless and you have to shift like a bastard into second to keep the momentum going. Why do you think most old fox body T-5 2nd gear synchros are toast?

Bingo. My bone-stock Fox Body with 3.08 felt absolutely perfect. 225/60R15 tires gave 2000 rpm at 70mph. The 3.35 first gear was fun!!

Drove a different car (same basic powerplant) with a 3.54 rear and first gear felt useless.

For me, the multiplication of 1st gear x rear gear is a deciding factor: ~9 is ok, ~10 is tons of fun, ~11+ is too much.

Almost all the T5s are beat.
Costs ~$1K+ to adapt to redblock kludgily often.

W/V8, sure, fine, just make sure you get the strongest/healthiest one you can in desirable ratio spread, which of course is the most ridiculously rare version; 2.95-.73 of the OEMs in USA 88-92 optional in WC version on IROC only?

Stronger autos/less fussy with torque converter multiplication/it can shift faster than you can for a street car/no need to agonize about 1-3mph of 1st gear difference or not with it, no real economy hit?

Aware they used the ZF in a bunch of other cars, parts from its big brother the 24 fit it, dimly remember updating them in BMWs so they wouldn't fry themselves revving in neutral during an emissions fast idle test?

Probably already had all the Aisin / Borg warner 03 copied parts sourced in volume at lower cost.
Non-lockup+ OD on the 240s passes emissions cleaner with the tall 3.73s without extra cost of lockup converter or air-injection/EGR?
Uses more fuel/heats the fluid more at 55mph cruise, but lasts the warranty/can offer at lower price.
BW3-speed they had for the diesel already from the 240s more or less, Americans like auto/diesel was cheap in the early 80s?

Last edited:
Back