• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Drove bosses 242 turbo Group A. What a Blast!!!

That?s my car :)
Photos are taken by pre owner. The engine is not original it is a B23E from 1979 with old valve cover and 405 head and 8360220 Group-A camshaft. Pistons are forged Mahle with large dome. Turbo charger is a genuine Group-A and the Group-A intercooler was added later and it was made 1986 says the type plate from L?ngerer & Reich. Intake is a b23f/ft/et with four yellow injectors same used on the race car.

This Evo 500 stayed in Sweden and was owned by Volvo Motorsport VMS and was used as a test car. 1987 SAM Steffansson Automotive bought it.

This is how it looks today now with B21ET, Big Group-A K-jetronic, Getrag 265, BBS E50 and more: http://www.garaget.org/242Evo

/Daniel
Does it have an SO# like all the rest do?

Photos are taken by pre owner. The engine is not original it is a B23E from 1979 with old valve cover and 405 head and 8360220 Group-A camshaft. Pistons are forged Mahle with large dome. Turbo charger is a genuine Group-A and the Group-A intercooler was added later and it was made 1986 says the type plate from L?ngerer & Reich. Intake is a b23f/ft/et with four yellow injectors same used on the race car.

This Evo 500 stayed in Sweden and was owned by Volvo Motorsport VMS and was used as a test car. 1987 SAM Steffansson Automotive bought it.

This is how it looks today now with B21ET, Big Group-A K-jetronic, Getrag 265, BBS E50 and more: http://www.garaget.org/242Evo

/Daniel
What does "Evo 500" mean?
:drama:

Daniel, you're one lucky man.

308526-3136733.jpg

God damn. What a ****ing sexy car. :omg: :drool:

BBS E50s have got to be one of the best looking wheels ever made.

Out of curiosity, do you have a bigger version of the image above posted anywhere? I'd love to use it as a desktop background for my computer.

Daniel, you're one lucky man.

308526-3136733.jpg

God damn. What a ****ing sexy car. :omg: :drool:

BBS E50s have got to be one of the best looking wheels ever made.

Out of curiosity, do you have a bigger version of the image above posted anywhere? I'd love to use it as a desktop background for my computer.

Yes I do have I can email the image to you.

/Daniel

/Daniel
Daniel,
Did it always have that style of front fenders/core support and headlights or did it have the USA 75-85 style before like all of the other homologation cars?

Daniel,
Did it always have that style of front fenders/core support and headlights or did it have the USA 75-85 style before like all of the other homologation cars?

No the he front, headlights and fenders are changed to 1984 euro model with turn signals.

/Daniel

well back to the discussion.

I have met and spoken to the people from Volvo Motorsport VMS at the Group-A meeting at the Volvo Museum G?teborg two years a row. First meeting 2014 to celebrate Volvos first win in ETC and DTM and second meeting 2015 to celebrate Volvos total win in ETC and DTM.

They remember working on my car and confirmed that my car is a genuine 242 Turbo Evolution. Even pre owner confirms that. He knows and have spoken to working people at SAM. They were working with the Evolution cars at Volvo Motorsport and they claims that my car had the same parts installed showed in the homologated documents, Group-A turbo, intake manifold with yellow injectors and cable harness and LH-jetronic air mass meter for water injection and plastic intercooler. The big Group-A aluminum intercooler was not available until the middle of 1984, I have a document from Volvo that claims that.
My car was also equipped with a 1983 scp 405 head and 8360220 Group-A camshaft, Euro 115 fuel distributor and euro 027 ignition distributor and no lambda.

SAM bought my red car 1987 and another white Evolution from Volvo motorsport. The white car was later equipped with a roll cage they used it as a practise car for rally. Later the white one got stolen and never came back.

Here is an image of the white car from the B21ETL-Group-A install documents from 1984 when the aluminum intercooler was available. You can tell it?s a US-model it has the B21FT cable harness and US headlights you can see two locking pins, one for the grill and the other one for the headlights. The euros only have locking pins for the grill.

Another cool thing to identify if its a Evolution is to look at the red label on the belt protector the engine digits are 800, I have heard that only the Evolutions got that number.

All Evolutions sold overseas doesn?t have the special parts installed. Why? well that must have been a big issue for Volvo, Carlifornia emission issue, guarantee issue and more I think.

Isn?t that cheating? Yes but everyone is looking for loop holes in regulations.

I also heard that the name of the man from FISA who inspected the cars was Boris von Breitenbuch. They were randomly inspected in the USA, 250 cars on the west coast and 250 on the east coast, don?t know if it?s true.

/Daniel

Last edited:
I have met and spoken to the people from Volvo Motorsport VMS at the Group-A meeting at the Volvo Museum G?teborg two years a row. First meeting 2014 to celebrate Volvos first win in ETC and DTM and second meeting 2015 to celebrate Volvos total win in ETC and DTM.

Here is an image of the white car from the B21ETL-Group-A install documents from 1984 when the aluminum intercooler was available. You can tell it?s a US-model it has the B21FT cable harness and US headlights you can see two locking pins, one for the grill and the other one for the headlights. The euros only have locking pins for the grill.

b21etl.jpg
Interesting that the white car has a 7 series style coolant bottle and bracket, 7 series boost recirculation valve and battery relocated. It also has no a/c, which all of the US Turbo cars had A/C.

Does your red 242 have a sunroof? Power windows?
All of the 1983-85 US 240 Turbo 242/244's had sunroofs and power windows.

If you ever get the chance or if you still know anyone, ask how many they made and if they ever offered the hood and grill treatment to "regular" cars. For the longest time the story has been 500 of these cars, but I have personally owned 5 and seen around 50 more of them and that just seems like a really high percentage if only 500 were spread around the world.

That 7 series coolant bottle - for the water injection?
Im thinking US exports needed the A/C as standard, otherwise would have been considered unacceptable (assuming most US cars went to west coast). Maybe same with sunroof and power windows - these options would just be PITA in winter.

Back to Volvo's naughty non-installation of special parts to homolagate. How about a register based on the "800" code timing belt covers, see if they are indeed all 242Ts. I know those labels do tend to survive well.

It would be cool if the surviving US homologated/EVO 242Ts where built to their correct and intended specification. mostly Merc FI injection parts widely available on Merc W124, gold injectors, LH AMM, although I suppose almost noone is interested in high performance k-jet. Most people will say why, but it would be cool to build a 350hp 242T the way they did in 1984. Im thinking the build cost would not be too high, but interest factor would be...but I'm an old fart lol

Daniel, it would be good to get a comprehensive spec for your car if you're willing to share

Last edited:
Back