• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear spoiler paint

tomasss

former PRVert
So I am getting to the point of thinking how to paint the rear wing for my 740T.
I am bit doubting if a normal paint will withstand the flexibility of the foam rubber of the wing. It flexes quite a lot, how do you guys do it? Should I use the plastic primer and apply the paint directly without a filler? Should I use the base paint? Or wouldn't be a better idea to use plasti-dip?

4tg15Gnh.jpg

I would take it to my guy at the body shop and pay him to do a color matching 2K urethane job.

Strike that it's for a 744, make it a Home Depot 99? rattlecan of black lacquer.

I’m interested in this as well.

Also if it matters the same spoiler on my 90 came dealer (factory?) installed. Where the trunk frame comes closest to the spoiler, there is a noticeably different, much thicker paint on top, to take any impact away from damaging the normal body paint. The thicker paint is cracked now since 30 years but it’s done it’s job as a protector.

If you mean the sides of the trunk where the wing approaches the body, in my case the protector was just a transparent adhesive foil. I had it cracked as well but it was possible to remove it after heating it up a bit.

The rattle can is an option but I was wondering if it will handle the cold/hot dimensional changes and flexing in general...

I think there's a possibility to add softener to the paint to make it withstand the flex.

Those wings are made both in hard and soft versions, dont know why really?

If you mean the sides of the trunk where the wing approaches the body, in my case the protector was just a transparent adhesive foil. I had it cracked as well but it was possible to remove it after heating it up a bit.

The rattle can is an option but I was wondering if it will handle the cold/hot dimensional changes and flexing in general...

Yes that is what I meant. Mine seems to be a thicker paint that matches the body paint (in my case black) I don?t think it?s foil but the car is now in storage til spring so can?t really confirm atm.

I think the post that mentions flex is the best shot, you may have luck with a professional auto paint supply store. I know on the smaller SE spoilers getting paint to hold is very difficult and I?m not sure what they did from factory, but any repaint seems fail prone. I think sbabbs here has said he tried a couple times before giving up on it as it wouldn?t hold for long.

Just try that Plastidip Plasticoate crap?

I used it to do a plastic bumper that had been previously bog'ed up and repainted after stripping it and it seems to be holding alright.

Back