• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 240 slow wipers

ktm450

Hello,
I did a search and have tried most of the suggestions that I found.
1. Pulled the motor apart and brushes look good and magnets are still connected to the case.
2. Checked the ground, it is solid.
3. Checked and lubed the linkage.
My 1992 240 wagon has an extra wire coming out of the wiring harness. They work WAY better than my 1991. They are as fast as the wipers on my 1993 940 T. I have put 3 different used motors on with no change. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,
I did a search and have tried most of the suggestions that I found.
1. Pulled the motor apart and brushes look good and magnets are still connected to the case.
2. Checked the ground, it is solid.
3. Checked and lubed the linkage.
My 1992 240 wagon has an extra wire coming out of the wiring harness. They work WAY better than my 1991. They are as fast as the wipers on my 1993 940 T. I have put 3 different used motors on with no change. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Hi. You've checked everything. Nothing left but to be sure the motor is getting full battery voltage. http://cleanflametrap.com/wiper.html

Have you lubed both wiper arm shafts? They get stuck sometimes too as mentioned in the link.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The ground is good on the wiper motor end. Have to check Arts wiring diagram to see where it grounds at the other end. Art, that is an incredible library of info. on 240. It's gotten louder and more mechanical sounding as of late. Thanks again.

Lankku,
Haven't greased the shafts yet. Can I do it without pulling out the entire linkage as a unit? I will check Arts great info for that answer, and disco the linkage and run the motor by itself to see if it's noisy or straining like it is connected. .

It can ground anywhere on the chassis. I grounded my old style one to the coil bracket and it solved my slow wipers.

Lankku,
Haven't greased the shafts yet. Can I do it without pulling out the entire linkage as a unit? I will check Arts great info for that answer, and disco the linkage and run the motor by itself to see if it's noisy or straining like it is connected. .

Easiest way to separate the source from the load is to disconnect the linkage at the motor. Then try to move the wipers through their sweep by hand. It should be quite easy to do. If it feels like you need muscle, the likely problem is in one or both of those wiper shafts. Mine was so locked up I couldn't move the wipers by hand at all. Surprised me how powerful that gear reduction wiper motor is.

wiper4211.jpg

Back