• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 ABS master cylinder replacement / rebuild kit?

DrZiplok

From a pure paranoia and spares-on-hand perspective, I'd really like to have at least a rebuild kit, and preferably an entire spare brake master cylinder on hand for our '92 240 with ABS.

However, I haven't been able to work out whether the ABS and non-ABS rebuild kits are the same, or to locate a replacement ABS master anywhere in stock (the only option seems to be the Raybestos MC390098).

There must be something I'm missing here ... any thoughts?

"RAYBESTOS Part # MC390098 is not currently available and has been removed from your shopping cart"

Various other outlets (e.g. Summit, Amazon) list it as well, but nobody actually appears to have stock...

Summit Racing carries the part: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-mc390098. It is on back order.

O'Reilly Auto Parts carries a rebuilt master cylinder: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_11-2661_1287097_4972&keyword=11-2661 It is currently out of stock but can be ordered through a store.

I called Brake Parts Ltd today (see below) to inquire about Raybestos MC390098 availability. Brake Parts Ltd owns the Raybestos brand in North America. MC390098 is currently on national backorder. I let them know that this master cylinder satisfies all Volvo 240s with ABS in 1992 -93. They had no idea. I expect to talk with them tomorrow and/or have a discussion with their product planner. I'll report back on my conversation

Brake Parts Ltd
Address: 4400 Prime Pkwy, McHenry, IL 60050
Phone: (800) 323-0354

Last edited:
Summit Racing carries the part: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-mc390098. It is on back order.

O'Reilly Auto Parts carries a rebuilt master cylinder: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_11-2661_1287097_4972&keyword=11-2661 It is currently out of stock but can be ordered through a store.

I called Brake Parts Ltd today (see below) to inquire about Raybestos MC390098 availability. Brake Parts Ltd owns the Raybestos brand in North America. MC390098 is currently on national backorder. I let them know that this master cylinder satisfies all Volvo 240s with ABS in 1992 -93. They had no idea. I expect to talk with them tomorrow and/or have a discussion with their product planner. I'll report back on my conversation

Brake Parts Ltd
Address: 4400 Prime Pkwy, McHenry, IL 60050
Phone: (800) 323-0354

Here is what I learned today:

Brake Part Inc LLC: does not have a supplier for this part now. No back order date, no supplier.

O'Reilly has no availability on part BBH 11-2661. It is not availalble in any store in the US. I was told to check the web site and keep calling.

Summit Racing shows the part on back order with expected ship date at the end of November. The ship date has been pushed back twice now - over a month - since I placed the order.

Sam

In reading this post, I am beginning to get worried.

Am I hearing that the master cylinders are different for ABS vs. NON-ABS?, does that go for 7/9 series as well?
I never saw any notation regarding ABS when I ordered my MC from FCP.

Or is my lack of knowledge just causing paranoia??

To all who own a 240 with ABS. Volvo Part 8251131 has been discontinued. Manufacturing of this part ceased in 2013. If your MC fails you had best have a back up plan unless you plan on using the parking brake full time.

See my posts above for MC through Summit Racing and O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I wrote the President of the VCOA John Holtzapple earlier this week outlining the situation and asking for advice. He has not responded to me yet.

I plan to contact Volvo of NA but hope to do so after from John Holtzapple at VCOA.

In the meantime I would flush your brake fluid, order a back up MC from Summit and start thinking of a work around that uses the non-ABS MC.

A good question, then, for this modification-oriented forum, is "what makes an ABS master different from a non-ABS master?"

Art,

Good suggestion. In the meantime I wonder how hard can it be to have 500 of these made. Perhaps VCOA can help with contacts at Volvo NA. These are straight forward parts and obviously critical to the safe operation of the car.

Sam

The brake master cylinder on my 91 240 Wagon with ABS has gone bad. Similar disappointment in trying to find new, rebuilt, or rebuild kit. Ordered one thru Summit Racing but suspect it is on permanent back order. I will buy a salvage part and hope a solution comes along soon. Will post updates and hope others will post theirs. thanks,

The brake master cylinder on my 91 240 Wagon with ABS has gone bad. Similar disappointment in trying to find new, rebuilt, or rebuild kit. Ordered one thru Summit Racing but suspect it is on permanent back order. I will buy a salvage part and hope a solution comes along soon. Will post updates and hope others will post theirs. thanks,

PM sent.

The owner of a local Volvo dealer (one of the oldest in the country) is discussing the situation with Volvo representatives this weekend. I will report on what I learn.

I left a message at VCOA earlier this week but have not received a response.

Sam

Last edited:
Back