• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C 05 v70 AC

S70T5fivespeed

Its always 7:4O somewhere
The SO saying her AC isn?t blowing so cold lately. 05 V70 about 235km. Still works overall it would appear.

Calling around some shops saying I need to pay for an inspection first, others saying they can just recharge it. Wondering if anyone has any advice on this system whether it?s weak ford ish that needs to be inspected first or if they are generally good and strong enough to just get it recharged without spending the extra money.

Thanks

Like all AC systems, it likely has a slow enough leak that in 20 years, it's no longer working well. Put some gauges on it, but I bet you could get away with an evac, vacuum, and recharge. Done that many many times on friends cars and 2 years later they're still ice cold.

that generation of volvo suffered from excessive ac compressor clutch gap also. this could cause the ac to stop blowing cold. happened to me on my 01 v70t5 and my current 04 v70r m66.

It sounds like you have a leak. If it gets cold at all, the compressor is working.

Do a visual on the whole system and look VERY closely for any green/oily residue.

We have a sniffer to find leaks, but a visual is the best start.

MY method is to recover it with a machine, which weighs what came out, to get an idea of how low it was. Then I vac, charge, and make sure the system works. Then I go about finding small leaks that didnt jump right out at me on the initial quick visual inspection.

Worst case: evaporator

Best case: leaking seal, Schrader valve.

Common failures: leaking hoses, fittings, condenser, etc.

Legally, in Canada, you can't just evac and recharge a system. You have to fault trace for a leak. If it is low, there is a leak technically. That has to be fixed prior to the charge.

Now the legal stuff is over. I like to evacuate and see just how low it is. If it is just a bit, charge it up and see how long until it fails again. Get an idea of the size. Honestly, if it is only low a bit, it may last for a few years.

On that car, I've changed more condensers than anything. Just takes a rock wrong and punctures it. I haven't had an evaporator on a P2. But it is not as humid out here as it is there and things break down based on environment all the time.

Jordan

Legally, in Canada, you can't just evac and recharge a system. You have to fault trace for a leak. If it is low, there is a leak technically. That has to be fixed prior to the charge.

Now the legal stuff is over. I like to evacuate and see just how low it is. If it is just a bit, charge it up and see how long until it fails again. Get an idea of the size. Honestly, if it is only low a bit, it may last for a few years.

On that car, I've changed more condensers than anything. Just takes a rock wrong and punctures it. I haven't had an evaporator on a P2. But it is not as humid out here as it is there and things break down based on environment all the time.

Jordan

Are you allowed to add some dye in the system yourself ? The P2 platform makes AC charging easy, even with simple over the counter bottles from an auto part store. Some come with dye, makes it easy to find a leak if you have an UV light.

Are you allowed to add some dye in the system yourself ? The P2 platform makes AC charging easy, even with simple over the counter bottles from an auto part store. Some come with dye, makes it easy to find a leak if you have an UV light.

When refrigerant leaks, it is usually replaced with ambient, humid air. Those OTC cans are crap, but WILL work. It's always recommended to suck the system down and remove any ambient air and moisture when possible.

Back