Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Have you tried factory pads?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
Dan
TQ>HP

I think the alignment may be important, if they are not parallel, seems that would impart vibration/noise till the clamping pressure is enough to make everything rigid. Either that or mount is not rigid enough as was discussed , You've eliminated pretty much everything else

“Expertise in one field does not carry over into other fields. But experts often think so. The narrower their field of knowledge the more likely they are to think so.” – Robert A. Heinlein
“We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #28
stick70
All the gauges

Not sure if you've solved this problem yet but I had a similar issue on the rear of my car. It turned out the shim that goes under the pins was dragging the rotor itself. I'm using OEM rotors. I ended up just grinding the OD of the rotor down a touch until it was no longer a problem.

I do have some squealing from the front now, but only when everything is super hot and only at really low speeds. Normally its fine. I'm on stoptech sport pads with no backing shims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #29
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Not sure if you've solved this problem yet but I had a similar issue on the rear of my car. It turned out the shim that goes under the pins was dragging the rotor itself. I'm using OEM rotors. I ended up just grinding the OD of the rotor down a touch until it was no longer a problem.

I do have some squealing from the front now, but only when everything is super hot and only at really low speeds. Normally its fine. I'm on stoptech sport pads with no backing shims.
my squeal is at low less pedal pressure braking or really slow speeds when coming to a stop. Medium to hard braking its non existent.

Im having a hard time picturing what you did.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #30
stick70
All the gauges

Sorry man didn't read your posts. My current squealing situation sounds similar to what you have, but only under 5 mph or so. I really don't care about it much at that point, its only when hot. I'm not even running shims in the front.

The first issue was on the rear. I could see witness marks on the outside of the rotor where the clip that holds the pads down was dragging. This was causing a squealing noise that went away when I got on the brakes. Again this was only on the rears though.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #31
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Sorry man didn't read your posts. My current squealing situation sounds similar to what you have, but only under 5 mph or so. I really don't care about it much at that point, its only when hot. I'm not even running shims in the front.

The first issue was on the rear. I could see witness marks on the outside of the rotor where the clip that holds the pads down was dragging. This was causing a squealing noise that went away when I got on the brakes. Again this was only on the rears though.
Mines obnoxious at low speeds. Probably same speed as you.
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #32
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Resurrecting from the dead. This is the part you want to make the squeal (really more like the whole car resonating and sounding like a foghorn) go away: 30748514

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-v70-30748514

Ignore the product name on the URL.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Resurrecting from the dead. This is the part you want to make the squeal (really more like the whole car resonating and sounding like a foghorn) go away: 30748514

I haven't used these personally as I only get and occasional squeal, but iirc you have to modify them slightly to fit adapted R-brakes from what hackster told me.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:37 AM   #34
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:

Where do these install and can I use them on a Cadillac brembo'd 240? Yes, same death squeal with light pedal at slow speeds.
J_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jones View Post
Where do these install and can I use them on a Cadillac brembo'd 240? Yes, same death squeal with light pedal at slow speeds.
between the mounting bolts and the back of the caliper
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #36
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
I haven't used these personally as I only get and occasional squeal, but iirc you have to modify them slightly to fit adapted R-brakes from what hackster told me.
That's right. You just have to grind a couple reliefs for the bolts.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #37
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:

So are these just aluminum spacers or do they change the mounting angle slightly or just push the caliper one direction a little? I don't get what these would do to help. And does this voodoo work?
Dave

'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff with unmodified G80.
Volvo Seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com
Alternator Idler Pulley Project: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=350085
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
So are these just aluminum spacers or do they change the mounting angle slightly or just push the caliper one direction a little? I don't get what these would do to help. And does this voodoo work?
Dave
I don't believe they change orientation or position but rather act to catch the resonations/vibrations that cause squeal. Appears to come with longer bolts so it make sense that they are just an add on.

Edit: tempted to order them myself but not sure the bolt pattern is the same for the caddy calipers.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #39
J_Jones
Board Member

Found some pictures by searching the part number. So yeah, damper in between bolt and caliper/hub
https://www.drive2.ru/l/10128409/
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #40
klr142
Turbo, what?

I don't know anything about a shim that goes between the pad and the pistons on these R calipers. There is no Volvo bulletin for that, the bulletin is for the early cars that didn't have the mass dampers/weights/anti-vibration blocks you see mentioned above.

We had some intermittent issues with this sort of noise complaint even on a stock S60R that had the mass dampers installed. We installed Akebono Ceramic pads and Textar OE replacement rotors then the car developed brake noise(coming from worn Volvo pads and rotors). We switched to Volvo pads but it still made the noise. Then we swapped the Textar rotors out for Brembo OE replacements and the noise went away.

Your experience may vary, and to those who have said that shims behind the pads are needed, are you making this up based on your thoughts with another application, or do you have a part number for something Volvo sold to help this situation?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #41
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
I don't know anything about a shim that goes between the pad and the pistons on these R calipers. There is no Volvo bulletin for that, the bulletin is for the early cars that didn't have the mass dampers/weights/anti-vibration blocks you see mentioned above.

We had some intermittent issues with this sort of noise complaint even on a stock S60R that had the mass dampers installed. We installed Akebono Ceramic pads and Textar OE replacement rotors then the car developed brake noise(coming from worn Volvo pads and rotors). We switched to Volvo pads but it still made the noise. Then we swapped the Textar rotors out for Brembo OE replacements and the noise went away.

Your experience may vary, and to those who have said that shims behind the pads are needed, are you making this up based on your thoughts with another application, or do you have a part number for something Volvo sold to help this situation?
I have owned a bunch of R's from 04s-07s. I've never seen the the shims. I've also worked on a load of them over the last 15 years and I don't remember seeing them. I have seen the facebook group talk about them and getting them on Ebay or something.

I just pulled up my VIDA and confirmed there is no shim listed in the brake system for the R calipers. Just those vibration dampers on the back of the caliper.

Jordan
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #42
klr142
Turbo, what?

Thanks for the confirmation, Jordan!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote