• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

you should just leave it completely stock. Its fine having a daily driver which hasn't been ****ed with.

Good luck with the E39. I do NOT miss mine.

There's always flipping it and using the proceeds of that, the 245, and the V70 to put toward something with a warranty. And maybe butt warmers. And maybe Android Auto.

Wiper motor decided to get on the fritz. Ordered a replacement from IPD. I should really look into getting a windshield washer bottle as well.

Replaced the KL underdrive pulley with a nice stock replacement aftermarket harmonic balancer and put on an Aerostar/V6 slip yoke. Vibrations are now much more tolerable.

Also finally found the source of the suspension knock. One of the pockets for the bearings in the BNE strut mount was machined slightly too deep and thus allowing axial play. The gap was too small to fill with a shim so we used some Loctite 680. $100 in loctite, bearings, and shims to fix something that should not have been an issue to begin with. Not bitter or anything.

Now that those things are resolved/improved the car is a lit more enjoyable, especially on the highway. Nice linear power delivery and very surefooted handling, excellent brake feel. Having AC is also nice in our rainy winters, as the heater does not need to run at full blast to keep the windows from fogging up

Also finally found the source of the suspension knock. One of the pockets for the bearings in the BNE strut mount was machined slightly too deep and thus allowing axial play. The gap was too small to fill with a shim so we used some Loctite 680. $100 in loctite, bearings, and shims to fix something that should not have been an issue to begin with. Not bitter or anything.

You're probably better off just fixing the problem yourself anyway. Bne's had my (clunky) strut mounts since mid-December with almost zero updates.

Last edited:
It's done. No more clunk. Loctite did the needful.

On another note, I'm working on a passenger motor mount solution, to avoid valve cover-to-AC line rubbage.

On another another note, I'm tempted to replace the R-sport cluster with a digital dash display like a Haltech LC-7 or at least use CANBUS gauges to replace the round dials. They are inaccurate enough to be noticeably annoying to live with (close calls with speeding tickets, oil starvation scares...things like that). This would also free up the tailshaft gear in the trans to be used by an electronic pickup, which could send a VSS2 signal to the ECU, which in turn would drive the speedo/odo. More to come on that.

You did all that but left it auto? Huh?

Did you not see this is the entire quote that you didn't need to quote?

ECfrQeih.jpg

Wait what happened to the fuel filler door?

I had sent it to Seattle along with a fender so that bergen could color match it to paint back in...2017? I got the filler door back...

Most of his pics appear to be taken from the driver side, but the door looks fine to me?

:e-shrug:

5ZKNGRch.jpg

First time seeing your 242 with those mesh wheels...Looked great. What were they and do you recall the tire size?

Those were 16x8. Tires were 225/50R16.

Not much new since the last post. Tried some E39 M5 trans mounts to check whether any improvement could be felt vs. the Energy trans mount. No dice.

Other than that it's been pretty reliable and fairly comfortable other than that. Still need to turn up the boost and smooth out the cold starts, but don't want to **** with anything that will make it less reliable for any reason right now.

What I'm really pining for right now is the Bertone door panels, some decent front speaker enclosures, window film (it gets hot in the summer), and some reprieve from the rumbles

x0BdvKxh.jpg

What I'm really pining for right now is the Bertone door panels, some decent front speaker enclosures, window film (it gets hot in the summer), and some reprieve from the rumbles

I sprung for the Carbon Ceramic upgrade when when I had the 244 tinted. The % is about the same as the 242. The temperature difference in the cars is noticeable though and I wish I had paid for the upgrade on the 242. Drive to Highline with the car, they want to see old cars before they promise to work on it, remind them how easy the back windows come out and remove the door cards before you drop it off.

Back