• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

Yep, thats the one. It doesn't really make sense until you see it all there in the engine compartment I guess. My engine is on the stand still, so I appreciate the documentation. I'll have to figure out the same stuff pretty soon.

I tried a bracket from a 940 and it barely clears the steering box. There was no room for the alternator. Is the 740 bracket different than that one?

Yep, thats the one. It doesn't really make sense until you see it all there in the engine compartment I guess. My engine is on the stand still, so I appreciate the documentation. I'll have to figure out the same stuff pretty soon.

If you slot one of the holes on that bracket, the whole thing can be mounted up higher on the block. I think you can only use two bolts to mount it, and I remember having to space it out a bit on my 240, but it worked. You may look into that as a solution.

I'll have to check into that for sure. If I can find a way to make it work I can just forget all of this steering nonsense, which would be really nice.

Which holes did you slot? I'll have to stare at it tonight and see if I can see it.

Yeah we talked a bit about it. Either way I'd be making some sort of custom bracket and tensioner to get it on there. I still haven't messed with the bracket I ordered to see if I can get the Denso closer to the block either. The last thing I want to do is modify steering parts. Plus those heim adapters won't help me with bump steer the way I thought they would since the outer tie rod end goes in from the top and the inner end goes in from the bottom.

I stared at it a little this morning and there's no way that 940 bracket can be mounted higher with the steering box there. It won't even fit in there. Maybe mounted in the factory position I could just turn the alternator up higher and come up with a tensioner to use it on that side.

Honestly I just don't think anything is going to work well on the driver's side. Between the steering box and the CAS there's just no space unless I mount it so high up that it starts to interfere with the thermostat housing.

rhuqGhS.jpg

So I'm thinking this bracket will bring the bottom alternator mount about 1" closer to the block. Then I may or may not need a custom tensioner which would be pretty easy to make out of some 1/8" plate, and I could make it S-shaped so it clears the oil feed fitting a little better. It's worth a shot. That bracket was like $9.

DNSYDcR.jpg

I tried the B21 intake manifold and it should work fine with the master cylinder I just ordered. It clears the inner fender and steering shaft just fine. I went with a compact remote-mount Wilwood cylinder in 3/4" bore. I really wanted to upgrade to dual-circuit while it's all apart but I can't find a short enough MC that's also tandem outlet. The stock master is 5" end to end and this one is like 3.4". Maybe later I can swing a nice custom intake and I'll see what my options are. I just want to make sure everything bolts up nicely and then I'll see about getting the manifold modded for injectors and a larger TB.

260-13619-lg.jpg

Eventually I would like to go with a floor-mounted Wilwood pedal set with integrated master cylinders so I'm not going to invest too much time or money into it. Single circuit has always been fine.

Either that or a Nathan manifold and I can use whatever master I want. That might be the easier option actually.

Honestly I'd rather have the upgrade in my intake manifold than my pedal set. I could have an intake made to clear whatever is on the car. Then with a tandem outlet MC and an adjustable proportioning valve I could set it up however I want.

Some photos of the manifold. It will fit great with my compact master cylinder. Throttle spool bolts on but it's resting on the fender so that will need a little hammer action. Not too much and if I'm feeling adventurous I might even cut out that section and weld a concave piece in to keep it from looking like it was smacked with a hammer. Gonna send it to Nathan this week to have a 3" TB and FI bungs fitted.

RMTAkb5.jpg

5wiyRTJ.jpg

0sp1NbM.jpg

Then I decided I'd start on the radiator. It's actually a pretty good fit for the car. I just wish it was a little wider and not so tall but I couldn't find anything else that was in-between this width and way wider. I just drilled two holes in the lower support for it to rest in and I'll use a couple of rubber grommets to isolate it. I need to figure out how I'll support the top to keep it from moving however it wants. It's just a hair off-center but I did it to keep the e-fan a little further away from the water pump pulley.

pN02ofU.jpg

Y9lMhtr.jpg

Nice! Looks good. I picked up a factory honda 1/2 size radiator. Same as that but plastic. I'm liking how much skinnier it is, if my approximations are correct there is about 2.5-3 inches on that driver side that you could scoot it over even further?

Yeah it could go over more but I didn't want the lower radiator hose to get too close to the fan belt and pulleys. This thing is like 5-6" thick with the e-fan mounted but I think there's barely enough room to squeeze an intercooler in there.

Back