• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rust! Arggghh!

The rattle can primer and paint peeled off and left POR 15 visible.
This was done in 2003 I think.
The car sat in a field for a few years and in a lot for a year or two.
Now I have it back.
Planned to have an engine in it by now but things keep diverting me from that simple task.
Next week maybe.

2015-03-28_12-44-26_193_zpsncvodbpz.jpg
[/IMG]

If you have a good space, a welder and a grinder, you could have some fun and learn some stuff.

Unfortunately no garage, no welder, and no grinder. I suppose I could get a welder and grinder off craigslist, but that would set me back almost the same amount to just have someone with thousands of hours of vintage car bodywork to help me. :e-shrug: Besides, he said he'd be glad to have me assist in the body work along the way so I could learn from him.

Damn gashog, that still looks like its holding up pretty well. Was that to repair a rusted out wheel well?
That was a bubble of paint I found when the car was still shiny and beautiful.
I investigated it to find a ****ty rust repair.
I blasted it and PORd it to stabilize until I could fix it properly.
Blew the engine on the way home from an autoX. Parked it. Sold it. New owner parted and was about to crush. I bought it back.

Edit: I am not the POR15 poster child. There are several other rust treatment alternatives. Google "POR15 vs" and let Google fill in the blank.

Unfortunately no garage, no welder, and no grinder. I suppose I could get a welder and grinder off craigslist, but that would set me back almost the same amount to just have someone with thousands of hours of vintage car bodywork to help me. :e-shrug: Besides, he said he'd be glad to have me assist in the body work along the way so I could learn from him.

If he doesn't butt rape you, I'd say that's a very generous offer.

So that repair required no grinding, cutting, fiberglassing before POR15?

I'm assuming no butt rapage, but it is eastern Tn :lol: . He's a pretty cool dude though, works at my mechanic's shop right down the road. Just an old GM junkie and has a full body shop out of his house where he does complete restorations for people.

One great thing about living in a tiny Appalachia town is that people are always willing to help wherever possible and aren't looking to make an arm and a leg doing it.

It's been my experience and recently confirmed, that when seeking rust, take a hammer and beat on the undercoating, where the undercoating falls off you'll find rust. Similarly, with any tool like a chisel or scraper try to remove undercoating. Anyplace where it comes off without a battle is rusted. Do some serious poking. where there is no rust you wont do any damage. Am not talking about exterior paint, just inside and underneath, behind and below. Inside, wherever that rubbery stuff is that they put on the floors the same holds true, if it comes up easily you'll find rust

I use these type of rust repair panels on a few of my vehicles. Since the rust war is usually un-winable and I look for the quick fix at times, I'll just double face tape and silicone these in place :lol: Then paint to match. Sometimes you'll need to "expand" the metal in various ways as these are typically "weld in" panels and are not usually not designed to fit over existing stuff.

http://www.rustrepair.com/PANELS/VOLVO-67-BODY-PANELS.HTM

Hi folks. I see Fluid Film coating was mentioned in this thread. Have any of you Applied fluid Film to the bottom of a horizontal surface? I want to apply it to the underside of the new floor pan in my car but if it just drips off onto my face then I have pretty much wasted $45 for the gallon. I plan to apply the product using a brush. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Yes I hijacked this thread but the last post was 4+ years ago so I think this is alright.

Last edited:
Hi folks. I see Fluid Film coating was mentioned in this thread. Have any of you Applied fluid Film to the bottom of a horizontal surface? I want to apply it to the underside of the new floor pan in my car but if it just drips off onto my face then I have pretty much wasted $45 for the gallon. I plan to apply the product using a brush. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Yes I hijacked this thread but the last post was 4+ years ago so I think this is alright.

I applied the film on my back and nothing dripped onto my face. Though I may rock my Blue Blockers next time just incase. :cool:

Back