• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 240 Airbag

Any way to test the airbag? I crashed a 1994 940 years ago and it didn't deploy (no idea if SRS light was on -- it was more than 2 decades ago). I just watched a video of a Volvo 240 vs. a Renault and saw a recent post of a destroyed 240 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emtLLvXrrFs)

I know I am likely being a bit paranoid but if it's not a near-impossible task I'd like to fix it. Thanks!

I don't really trust the airbag to deploy at full engineered velocity at this age anyway, even if it was functional.

I am prone to overthinking things to the point of worry, but have been getting better about it. Maybe the following would help, since there's really no way to test if an airbag would deploy exactly as it were intended short of actually deploying it.

First defense(s) to your personal safety:

-good tires, slow your velocity as much as possible before impact
-responsive brake system, also slows velocity in a split second scenario
-safe driving habits (scan intersections, anticipate others' actions, don't speed, avoid sketchy roads, etc)
-crumple zones, 3 point seat belts, etc, all of which your 240 already has.
-secure any objects that could become projectiles in a crash

Maybe someone knows a way to chime in on testing the air bag. I know rob deployed an 850's SIPS bag on a youtube video, and it went off fine.

:e-shrug: There is just unavoidable risk involved driving a vintage car.

Just drove my 93 land cruiser (no airbags from the factory) 4000 miles in the past 2 weeks, and I think just coming to terms and adapting with the knowledge that you have slightly less of a safety net is enough. Modern car drivers tend to adopt reckless habits because they know that they won't die in a wreck. So they text, drive with knees, weave in&out of traffic, etc

I drove my 1971 145 on the highway for a total of 70 miles today, going 60-70mph the whole way. That thing feels like way more of a tin can than the 240 does. It could always be worse, I guess *cough* PV/1800 drivers *cough*

Last edited:
As long as you see the SRS light on when the ignition switch is first turned to the run position, then go out after 10 seconds or as soon as the car starts, the bag is going to work if needed. The older Volvo systems are very reliable. Two of my customers have crashed their 240s within the last 12-15 months and both cars deployed their bags.

Don't know nothing 'bout no Volvo air bag . . . but went through these questions on the wife's '93 Miata. SRS light stayed on after starting. Discovered that there is a little box between the sensors and light that deploys the air bag. Replaced that and all was good.

The point I want to make is that in that learning experience is that the air bags come with a recommended expiration period of 10 years.

I have never heard of anyone replacing the air bag as a routine maintenance item but they surely have some actual lifetime.

Don't know nothing 'bout no Volvo air bag . . . but went through these questions on the wife's '93 Miata. SRS light stayed on after starting. Discovered that there is a little box between the sensors and light that deploys the air bag. Replaced that and all was good.

The point I want to make is that in that learning experience is that the air bags come with a recommended expiration period of 10 years.

I have never heard of anyone replacing the air bag as a routine maintenance item but they surely have some actual lifetime.

Air bags were very new technology when Volvo added them in 1986-87 to the 780 design. They had no idea how reliable they were, therefore, the 10 year replacement suggestion. The system has proven to be very reliable.

Air bags were very new technology when Volvo added them in 1986-87 to the 780 design. They had no idea how reliable they were, therefore, the 10 year replacement suggestion. The system has proven to be very reliable.
Good to know. Just curious; you're the first person I've heard voice any real experience in this avenue. How/where does Volvo's original airbag attempt relate to the story I remember seeing unfold in the past 25 years:
  • 1st generation designed to fully constrain a large male who refuses to belt up
  • Oops, we discovered we're killing small people and children in minor fender benders
  • 2nd generation of "depowered" bags
  • Let's try to convince people to actually buckle up
  • Nope, they still won't, let's add lots more bags all over the car
  • Oops, we've recalled 10s of millions of bags at risk of exploding shrapnel as they deploy
  • ... and so on

You can guess I don't have much faith in them. Even after hearing firsthand accounts of their life saving potential. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, because it's harder and harder to find vehicles without 'em.

Back