• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bosch red super coil in 940T

I have one of these and thought of using it in my 1994 945 T but not certain if it is really much better than the stock black coil.

I know the use of a ballast resistor is a requirement when used with points but is it safe as is with the electronic ignition system?

I have not found much information about this which is why I am trying to find out. It would look nice of course but only if it is compatible.

it will kill the coil eventually, something about the difference in dwell.

at least thats what was explained to me when my stock lh2.2 volvo killed a brand new blaster 2 in 2 years. i threw the old stocker in and its still running on it fine after 6 years.

I believe Bosch Super Red requires ballast resistor which is only bypassed during cranking. Feeding 12V continuously will make it fail sooner.

I tried one on my 82 turbo. With an added ballast resistor because the unit requires 1.8 ohms for ballast and the stock ballast is .9 ohms. My car did not run as well as with the stock kjet coil which I ended up putting back in. But not before the red coil overheated and started leaking oil and also killed my ignition box.

Back