• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best place to buy Bilstein HD shocks and struts?

Looking to pick up bilstein b6 performance shocks for my 89 240 wagon. I was wondering what the best website to purchase them new from was? I?m currently sitting online and can get all 4 shipped to me from rock auto for $420 and some change. So far that?s the best price I have found online. I was just wondering if anyone in the group had a better place to get them from?

Side note when is it appropriate to switch over from the B6 shocks to the B8 shocks since the B8 are meant to for lowered vehicles? I plan on using after market lowering springs and would like to get the best shocks and struts suitable for my application.

Yeah but their lowering kit price doesn’t come with Billy HD’s selected and if you do select the bilstein option then the lowering kit goes up to like $793 not the $463 it shows for. I think when it’s like $460 something they’re sending out Sachs struts and shocks.

Side note when is it appropriate to switch over from the B6 shocks to the B8 shocks since the B8 are meant to for lowered vehicles? I plan on using after market lowering springs and would like to get the best shocks and struts suitable for my application.

they don't make the short ones for 240s. Get Koni's you'll have a much better ride

I just looked on Kaplehenke’s website and I can get Koni sports shipped to me for $565. Are they that much more superior than bilstein HD’s and if so can you elaborate on it?

Yes Koni yellow, that's all you can get now. They used to make Koni reds for 240s and those were great too. It's subjective really... but what are the roads like where you drive?

The roads are pretty nice where I drive, I’m in the suburb area of Saint Louis Missouri and they do a pretty good job on keeping the roads decent. I wouldn’t say they’re great but I’ve definitely been in some crappier areas where the roads were terrible. (I’m calling you out Dallas Tx suburbs!)

I’ll give you a run down of what I’ve got done to the wagons suspension/bushing wise so far. 25mm front and rear sways, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable torque rods, kaplehenke rear axle spherical bearings, kaplehenke spherical strut mounts, gt strut braces, yosifab lower chassis braces as well, I forgot the brand of lowering spring I have I bought them off another TB member. Also have delrin bushing in the front control arms from stsmaching. I’m trying to make this thing stiff as hell so when I get into drifting with the wagon it won’t be so bad since all the bushing and what not will be replaced along with the suspension.

I love the ride quality of the Bilstein B8's I used in my custom (VW-based) coilovers with progressive rate 140-250 QA1 springs, not in a Volvo though. Personally, I have found Koni's overrated. I had them F&R in my Kaplhenke V70 AWD coilover setup, and the longevity vs cost just isn't there, IMO. If the valving of the B8's suits your ride, I'd go with them over Koni.

I love the ride quality of the Bilstein B8's I used in my custom (VW-based) coilovers with progressive rate 140-250 QA1 springs, not in a Volvo though. Personally, I have found Koni's overrated. I had them F&R in my Kaplhenke V70 AWD coilover setup, and the longevity vs cost just isn't there, IMO. If the valving of the B8's suits your ride, I'd go with them over Koni.

For some reason, those Koni rear shocks do not last in that AWD application and the cost of building the housings for the fronts did not align with the performance of those dampers, We have stopped selling them at this point. We now are offering JRZ options that have been getting great feedback.

For RWD applications they seem to be long lasting and decent match.

For some reason, those Koni rear shocks do not last in that AWD application and the cost of building the housings for the fronts did not align with the performance of those dampers, We have stopped selling them at this point. We now are offering JRZ options that have been getting great feedback.

For RWD applications they seem to be long lasting and decent match.

Hello Ben!

Good to note - I still have a pair of the Koni front inserts - so those could fit an older Volvo application? Would be nice to recoup a few $$ :D

Back