• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 More on 240 Power Mirror Switches

dbarton

Dejected by Volvo Corp.
As I mentioned in my last thread about disassembling 1985 and earlier 240 power mirrors,
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355697
I've been working on a page detailing everything I can about 240 power mirrors, mirror switches and electrical circuits.
https://www.240turbo.com/240-powermirrors.html

Johnnya101 peaked my interest (and my OCD) with his 240 mirror switch cleaning guide when he said:
I was unable to find ANY information regarding Volvo 240 power mirror switches.

One thing I have begun with is testing continuity on EARLY versus LATE switches. Johnnya101's thread had a comment (post #12) about someone installing an early switch in a '92 240, which "worked as expected" according to the writer, but after I saw the results shown below, the "worked as expected" part has given me a challenge. This will eventually be figured out, but I just wanted to show you people this and gather more insight if anyone has any, since on the surface these two switches appear very, very incompatible.
Dave B

Attachments

• early-late-compare2.jpg
    early-late-compare2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 77
  • early-late-compare1med.jpg
    early-late-compare1med.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Also,
For those who wanted to know how similar the Saab/Porsche mirror switches are to Volvo switches, I disassembled a Saab 900 switch. The Saab switch BTW is the exact same switch used by Porsche.

CONCLUSION: The Saab/Porsche switch is IDENTICAL to the EARLY VOLVO switch in EVERY way, except for the joystick length. The Saab/Porsche joystick is longer, however the joysticks are fully interchangeable if you dismantle it.
Dave B

Attachments

• saab900switch9blo.jpg
    saab900switch9blo.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
  • saab900switch12blo.jpg
    saab900switch12blo.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 38
For those who wanted to know how similar the Saab mirror switches are to Volvo switches, I disassembled a Saab 900 switch.

CONCLUSION: The Saab switch is IDENTICAL to the EARLY VOLVO switch in EVERY way, except for the joystick length.

I can confirm this. I installed SAAB power mirror switches in my '85 245Ti and they operate both mirrors perfectly fine.

Back