• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 1966 Volvo 122

Keith602

Im waiting to get my car back from interior, so I figured i'd do a build thread. There isnt a ton to talk about but it has gone through a pretty decent cosmetic renovation. The engine runs and hasnt seem to show any major problems yet so I have been saving that area until im ready financially to get into it. Realistically i'd like to at least get a b20 in there with an m41 w/od, but ive also been thinking about a b23 turbo with an m46.

This was how it looked when I picked it up after having sat at my friend's parent's place for 7 years. It was pretty straight and I live in Phoenix, Az so there really wasnt any rust to worry about. It was originally that light green color, but had been painted white with a roller at some point in its life.

IMG_1300_zps19942dd3.jpg

IMG_1299_zps04a27289.jpg

IMG_1297_zps44270d43.jpg

IMG_1329_zps38ab0541.jpg

The interior speaks for itself. Attacked by the sun and home to many rats over the years im sure...

IMG_1322_zpsd281a12e.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsa6ca37ec.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsa6ca37ec.jpg

IMG_1323_zps161a2baf.jpg

Started ordering parts and getting them replaced. Ive ordered from IPD, RockAuto, Ebay, FCP pretty much wherever I could. Did the bushings, shocks, wheel cylinders, tie rods, ball joints, brake pads, shoes, lines, rubber seals, etc

IMG_1499_zps1c334cf1.jpg

The drums were stuck, so we had to get them off with a rented tool from AutoZone. I remember having to look up a solution for this at the time, so maybe this will help someone.

IMG_1620_zpsa111dcac.jpg

The caliper pistons were also stuck, took a little while to sort that out.

IMG_1778_zps6e4cfbcf.jpg

Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Im the kind of guy that wants instant gratification, so I have been learning about patience haha

IMG_1506_zps6da03ccd.jpg

Cut the springs about a coil and a half, set her down and took a celebratory lap to QuikStop for a beer run

IMG_1913_zps83ad917d.jpg

Off to paint

IMG_1931_zpscce418d8.jpg

Finally out of paint (3 months later). More lessons in patience on many levels.. it was ok in the end.

IMG_3119_zpsa4af2d58.jpg

New wheels

IMG_3181_zpsc3f2c4d2.jpg

IMG_3184_zps93869577.jpg

IMG_3188_zps2fd2a562.jpg

It was still too high for me, so more coils were cut. Im hoping to find some coils that will work soon and throw those in.

side1_zpscfceceaa.jpg

Im splitting hairs here but I photoshopped it another 3/4" lower just to see. Go for it?

side1lower_zps65d24f4d.jpg

Picked a color and pattern for the interior and the guy got rolling on it. Should have it back this weekend. Had to decide speaker placement and all that recently and I think it should work out well. Im going with 2 3-way Fosgate 6x9s, 2 3-way Fosgate 6.5s, Clarion preamp eq, Sony 4-Channel amp and in the future a 10" Fosgate sub and amp

Ive always thought these cars had classy european styling. Some people see hot rods, some people see rally cars, etc. I wanted a classy but street kind of feel.

IMG_3565_zps273c6456.jpg

IMG_3580_zpsabfbe319.jpg

IMG_3589_zpsc0d5041d.jpg

IMG_3533_zpse620b970.jpg

The rear deck will be black vinyl. Just foam now

IMG_3588_zps996d399e.jpg

IMG_3590_zpsad6bfce7.jpg

Headrest

IMG_3570_zpse131c6ac.jpg

Ordered a pre-sewn headliner from ebay and its just about in.

IMG_3551_zpsf4ff047e.jpg

Carpet kit going in

IMG_3550_zps8bf89a45.jpg

So basically ive been cleaning, painting and polishing anything I still have lying around while im wating

IMG_3486_zps70dcd8d8.jpg

Stuff on the list to get into: Motor, Transmission, Alternator, Suspension, Stereo, does it really ever end? :)

:cheers:

Nice! Glad to see you made it over here.

I've been lurking for a little while haha

It's good to interact with other volvo people, my girl is probably pretty tired of hearing about the car lol. There aren't a ton of older Volvo dudes in Phoenix. Lots of 80's, 90's cars which are cool, but I don't have one of those.

Loving the color and how many boxes of parts you have. What wheels are on it?

Thanks! I love the way the 2 doors look in black. It's my first time sourcing parts for an older car, so it's taken some getting used to, but its actually fun. Rarely do I get to buy something from a local place though. I havent heard of any junkyards out here having Amazons. I've become a little addicted to eBay. The wheels are just dodge charger take offs.

Nice!

My '67 looks nearly identical to your starting point. White-roller over pea-green:
5989_541168619252482_1570458033_n.jpg

I had the same issues too, from it sitting for so many years. Had to replace all the brakes, bushings, bearings, lines, fluids, etc. Almost ready to drive!

Nice!

My '67 looks nearly identical to your starting point. White-roller over pea-green:

I had the same issues too, from it sitting for so many years. Had to replace all the brakes, bushings, bearings, lines, fluids, etc. Almost ready to drive!

Speaking of yours, did you get those Blue Coils on there?

Starting on the project today. I think the front springs I ordered are going to be too soft for the ride height I'm shooting for, so I ordered a heavier set (which I hope will arrive in time for the long weekend).

Their springs are 5" diameter, and I think the OEM's in the rear are closer to 4.5" so I might be modifying the perches. I'll let you know what I find out!

And like you, I'm having a hard time being patient! I want to drive this thing!

Oh man... I glanced at that car, and it looks eerily like Blackie...

Nice job! Your car is coming along great!

Starting on the project today. I think the front springs I ordered are going to be too soft for the ride height I'm shooting for, so I ordered a heavier set (which I hope will arrive in time for the long weekend).

Their springs are 5" diameter, and I think the OEM's in the rear are closer to 4.5" so I might be modifying the perches. I'll let you know what I find out!

And like you, I'm having a hard time being patient! I want to drive this thing!

Looking forward to see what you find out!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but here she is on 8" tall 400# rear springs.

1044513_544133132289364_1339022910_n.jpg

Those were originally meant for the front, but I knew they'd be too soft. Plus, the rear 10.5" 325# springs only made the ride height about 1" lower.

I'm waiting for the 8" 650# front springs to arrive before I get to see how it all looks.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but here she is on 8" tall 400# rear springs.

Those were originally meant for the front, but I knew they'd be too soft. Plus, the rear 10.5" 325# springs only made the ride height about 1" lower.

I'm waiting for the 8" 650# front springs to arrive before I get to see how it all looks.

Thats not a bad height for the rear at all! I remember thinking those 10.5" would be pretty high still. I have high hopes for those 650# springs :x:

Got it back from Interior today. Almost didnt make it due a fuel leak. Had to do some rigging to get it home. Anyone here an expert with SU carbs? Checklist has some new items..

interior2_zps6d745419.jpg

interior1_zpsaf4d284c.jpg

new_zpsc8e3b2b9.jpg

Back