• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 142 - The Stepchild of a Stepchild!

Great news! What a tedious chore...
And my twice surgically repaired shoulders are thankful!
Started around the trunk with some lacquer thinner & gray Scotchbrite pad. That is going much easier that I expected.
Haven't received ship or delivery date for my driver's floor pan.

I was going to suggest celebrating with a cigar but I recommend that you not have any ignition sources in your garage at this point.

Mostly cleaned the garage today. The undercoating was everywhere. Put down some new cardboard underlayment since what was there had undercoating caked on it.
The fun stuff, started hitting under the trunk with lacquer thinner & a Scotchbrite pad. Still need to get a little around the exhaust hanger, but shiny metal!! We're getting there.
MQxcges.jpg

So pretty..... :oogle:

Great progress, nice work. I bitch about having to do that to a car that has a combination of sand blasted panels and fresh sheetmetal, I can't imagine doing the entire thing like you did.

looks like that blasting tool really makes quick work of stripping paint, is it worth a buy?

This hasn't done with the spot blaster. That only does a spot about the size of a dime. It's worth it to find the spot welds on my driver's floorpan, but not for large areas.
The undercoating was removed with a Sunex "surface blaster", which is like an air-powered angle grinder that take special wire wheels, a needle scaler, a cheapo multi-tools with scraper bits, & an air scraper.
Getting it to clean metal so far has been by hand, with lacquer thinner & Scotchbrite pads. That is to get the undercoating residue off, and getting into tight corners that no tool will reach well. I'm about 75% finished with this.
Then I'll wipe the whole thing down with lacquer thinner & hit the remaining primer with a DA sander. After that, I'll spray any surface rust that can't be sanded out with Ospho (phosphoric acid).

Thanks guys!
Finished cleaning with Eastwood Afterwash. Kind of a pain, you can only do small areas because it runs to low spots and drips off. Here's where it pays to find out what a product actually is before buying it. It turns out that the active ingredient in this is phosphoric acid which makes it basically high priced concrete cleaner / etcher.
It's a good thing that I have Ramboard (construction cardboard) on the floor. Where this dripped and ran down my jackstands, it definitely etch my garage floor. It also neutralized any surface rust or pitting on my floorpan, as well as cleaned the metal. Can't complain too much, it worked as advertised.
But, I could've gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and bought a similar product for quite a bit less.
I popped the plugs out of the inner rocker panels and vacuumed out 44 years worth of leaves and twigs. Going to spray these with Eastwood internal frame coating shortly. Then I'm going to start rust repair. Yay!!!

The inner rocker seems rock solid, that IS exciting! Good thing you're treating it while it's still healthy.

Floor pan rust removal / repair has commenced. Ordered a 2nd replacement pan from raybuck.com. I kind of screwed up the rear section, cut of the wrong side of my tape line.
Still have some more to remove, but going to wait until the 2nd floor pan arrives.

TXvj5cQ.jpg

Pic of the front half laying in position. It still needs trimmed to the correct size.

8gpc0K7.jpg

Passenger side rust repaired. Not the best welds, but I got good penetration so I'll live with it.
Garage is too hot to go any further. Supposed to be in the lower 70's by next weekend, then I'll start on the driver's side.

XpVVYwy.jpg

GvJIQU8.jpg

It's been a long winter full of house projects. Got the kitchen refinished, repainted pretty much every room in the house, and finally finished the basement.
Then, I lost my basement, which was going to be my drum / music room to my son. Turns out my mother-in-law has started to get dementia, so we moved her in with us. She is in the upstairs suite, which has it's own bathroom, that my son was using. He moved to the basement, which has its own full bath as well. I told my wife it is time to allow me to insulate, heat & cool the garage, so I can set up the music room in the 2nd floor.
I have a few more small home projects to finish up, then suspension on my DD E90 330i. After that, it will be back to the floor pan replacement, then painting the underbelly of the 142. Hopefully will have a few progress posts starting soon!

Come on, come on, come on..... This thing is clean as can be, looking forward to updates on it.

Back