home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #176
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
That's going to be awesome!
I hope it doesn't end in a shower of shattered cast iron, but yeah! This little guy was built for gas stand testing so the internal wastegate valve features were never machined and the port was welded shut. I'll have to find a small external wastegate and hope I can control it well enough. TiAL 38mm might do the job pretty well.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #177
Duder

Back on topic, here are some fartsy shots of the 245 on its extended break from reality.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #178
aidanahunter
Board Member

Battery tray removal looks great. I ended up removing mine as well.

4.6 32V 240 Wagon
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #179
Toybox
mostly lurking

Default a minor excursion down memory lane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post

Quote:
Reverse engineering the 240 engine bay using a Faro arm (Alex's). We took points all over the engine bay and got all of the bolt holes, mounting surfaces, pierce points for the steering, etc. Concentrated more points on the right inner fender to build a surface model there using the grid of tape. It turned out pretty slick and I'm using the bay model to help with my engine mounts and general packaging strategy.
May I rewind for a moment? Just catching up; I know plans have changed since way back when, but... Scanning the engine bay is killer! My hat's off to ya. Gosh, if I had that capability at my disposal…

Well, maybe it's better that I don't. I already document more than I need to. Haven't yet moved into a dwelling without building a scale drawing first -- in the old days it was engineering graph paper and little pieces of construction paper cut out for various furniture pieces, now it's multiple layers in Photoshop. Sure, there are more appropriate tools, but it's easier to use what ya know. And come to think of it, I mapped kitchen roof contours with a water level when trying to decide how bad the wood damage was. And the back of a 240 wagon to predict how many guitars and duffle bags I could pick up on an airport run. So, yes, I'd probably measure just about everything.

Quote:
Here in my family we've been referring to this 245 as "Fred's car." My 5-year-old was out exploring in the garage a few months ago and got spooked by something and told my wife there was a monster in the blue car. Instead of telling her monsters don't exist, Michele's response was "Oh, that's just Fred...he's a friendly monster." So now the kid looks forward to going out and sitting in the car to visit with Fred. Apparently he's big and shaggy but I've never seen him since he is pretty shy. Here's a little cupcake or birthday cake she made for Fred. It stays in the car for him.
Awesome pic. I love that you're training them so young. The burning question, though: has Fred moved to the green car?

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #180
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

Quote:
I've been distracted with this little guy lately. 1967 Opel Kadett Kiemencoupe. Been sitting for a decade or so but it runs. It's like a scaled-down Chevelle or Chevy II meets an early fastback Barracuda. I had the bad thought of taking the B20 from the green 245 and swapping it into this Opel, but am holding off on that until I've explored all other options with the teeny tiny little 1.1L pushrod four it came with.
If you just give it to me you wont have to worry about it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #181
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Indeed - it would be rude not to. I've had this little GT12 on my desk as a decoration for years now. Just so happens it would work quite nicely up to ~100hp on an ancient 1.1L 8-valve engine revving to ~6krpm...

Is it odd I’m more excited about this than the Volvo?
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #182
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

No. It's way less familiar and therefore more interesting

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #183
Duder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanahunter View Post
Battery tray removal looks great. I ended up removing mine as well.
Sweet. Got your message too. I need to plan my next move on the 245 - likely involving crossmember ideas (bad ideas) and some test fitting before I finally get the motor mounts fabbed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
May I rewind for a moment? Just catching up; I know plans have changed since way back when, but... Scanning the engine bay is killer! My hat's off to ya. Gosh, if I had that capability at my disposal…

Well, maybe it's better that I don't. I already document more than I need to. Haven't yet moved into a dwelling without building a scale drawing first -- in the old days it was engineering graph paper and little pieces of construction paper cut out for various furniture pieces, now it's multiple layers in Photoshop. Sure, there are more appropriate tools, but it's easier to use what ya know. And come to think of it, I mapped kitchen roof contours with a water level when trying to decide how bad the wood damage was. And the back of a 240 wagon to predict how many guitars and duffle bags I could pick up on an airport run. So, yes, I'd probably measure just about everything.

Awesome pic. I love that you're training them so young. The burning question, though: has Fred moved to the green car?

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled program...
It's been great to have the engine bay scan - Alex helped out a ton with this, not least in owning the handy Romer arm that we used, and finishing up the surface modeling. We took a bunch of points at various key spots around the bay and at regular intervals on that tape grid and then had to build the surfaces from the point cloud. It's a fairly rough model still but works great for packaging big stuff like engines or airboxes.

Fred the Monster lives in the garage attic now, last I heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
If you just give it to me you wont have to worry about it anymore.
In all seriousness, we have a 3rd '67 Kadett Kiemencoupe - a Rallye that is in very rough shape and is acting as the parts car. I posted some photos in the GRM thread. Any interest in the shell of that? I'm not sure exactly how much we're going to remove from it yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Is it odd I’m more excited about this than the Volvo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
No. It's way less familiar and therefore more interesting
I'm excited about them both in completely different ways! But have been bogged down with regular maintenance jobs for a few weeks on other vehicles. I've got 11 cars total right now not counting either Lemons racer or my mother-in-law's CRV which I maintain as well...so there's always some sort of pressing job that takes me away from the purely fun stuff.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #184
Duder

Fun stuff this weekend. Alex came over and helped me heave the rear axle out of the 245. It was incredibly dirty, but all the fastener threads look brand new upon removal. No issues. Everything looks very original and heavily patinated except for the brake pads which I replaced a few years ago.

The axle assembly will go to our workshop this week for measurement of all the pierce points, brackets, and flange locations. Then subsequent construction of an axle fab fixture which will benefit both Alex's white 242 and this car. He's spearheading the effort and will probably post details in his thread. It will allow us to throw a bare rear axle in and weld up all the necessary brackets in the correct locations for installation into a 240.

Once the rear axle was out, I pulled the right front strut, hub, and brake assembly complete. This allowed me to embark on the first fit-up of the 3-piece AC Schnitzer Type 2 wheels that I kept when my E34 M5 sold last year. These are 17x8.5 front, 17x9.5 rear with 255s, as a reminder. This will be tight but the suspension and rear axle will be assembled around these wheels, so no adapters, and I can place them exactly where I want. 5x120 of course. Once everything is built with these wheels it opens up a ton of alternative BMW wheels for future shenanigans as well.

Daytime lighting:

Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #185
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

This is all very exciting. I want more!

Also those wheels look fantastic on there.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #186
doucheNozzle

Gawd that color and those wheels

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #187
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

v8 swap when
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #188
Duder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
This is all very exciting. I want more!

Also those wheels look fantastic on there.
Thanks dude. I want more too! I'll post up as much as I can during the ongoing process. This elephant will require many many small bites before I can declare it eaten however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Gawd that color and those wheels
I had my doubts at first honestly, when I was just imagining how it would look, but now that they are mocked up I'm 100% on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
v8 swap when
It's literally happening right now. It's like a tree growing though - so slow as to be imperceptible if you sit and watch.

There are several puzzle pieces that I'm fitting into place that have to be finalized before I lock the engine position down, but I'm getting close.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #189
reiernumans
Board Member

Wow, the wheels look absolutely perfect on this! Definitely did not expect that. Keep up the good work, I'm loving the detail and thought going on here!

Last edited by reiernumans; 08-14-2019 at 06:25 AM..
reiernumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #190
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
It's literally happening right now. It's like a tree growing though - so slow as to be imperceptible if you sit and watch.

There are several puzzle pieces that I'm fitting into place that have to be finalized before I lock the engine position down, but I'm getting close.
Excuses, excuses.

Really excited to see how this comes together.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #191
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote