home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #1426
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Dealt with two problems: first the driveshaft would rub a lot and second, the front left tire was sucking in the front of the fender and bending the **** out of while reversing.

First solution was to go back to the Energy t5 trans mount and to slot the holes of the trans side ears. Then it was easy enough to align it with the center slot in the STS crossmember. This spaced up the tail of the trans and hence lowers the center u joint. Added bonus is that the shifter is comfortably closer to my right hand!

As for the fenders, commando bumper cars just have thr fenders bolted to rubber straps attached to the bumpers. I simply cut, bent, and drilled some aluminum L channel from home depot to space out and stabilize the sheetmetal. Looks a little bit more aggressive now!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #1427
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Detail on AC condenser:

Quick update on the diagram: I will redraw what I ended up doing. I have zero formal training in designing electrical circuits so bear with me. Duane, I have some more detailed shots for you now. I drilled a total of 4 7mm holes and used a combination of donut type isolators and rubber cushion mounts, plus high temp weatherstrip foam to seal the cooling package. 1850CFM SPAL fan is barely cutting it in terms of cooling the engine. Might throw the 1000CFM fan in the front location as a pusher. If that fails I will revert to the stock 940T fan as it moves 4500 CFM on its own according to internet lore. We shall see.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #1428
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Went to DEQ this morning. Threw in the biggest 3" cat I could find, which turned out to be a Flowmaster 2900230. Failed the first pass with HC emissions at 308 PPM on the first 330 on the second round (limit 220). Went around the block to lower idle speed and attempt to stabilize the engine speed, which turned out to be a challenge with the big cams. Went again with settings tweaked and a closed loop strategy penciled in. Passed with 700 on the first, 80 PPM on the second HC test. My guess here is that the cat may not be getting warmed up enough from the engine idling at 750 RPM. Mounts feel fine anywhere in the rev band except between 2500 and 3000 RPM, and at idle; they are unbearable at those areas. Going to throw in a Diesel pass side mount and see whether that quiets things down inside the cabin a bit.

Also washed and drove it to work for the first time since November last year. It's fun even at 7 psi and hardly any tune.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #1429
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

You stud.
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #1430
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Take it for a spin next week. Should have tags by that point.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #1431
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Let's have a party. My car will be in the garage about that time, whether I have to drag all the household junk into the street or not.

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #1432
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Such a good looking 242. Very impressive 16V too, would love to see it in person someday.

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #1433
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Glad to see the 93 AC condenser fits with minimal butchery. Don't know if you have it charged already or just test fitted; if you get another chance to remove it I'd recommend a good cleaning of those fins. Lowes/Home Depot both stock household AC condenser cleaner, which does an OK job on these automotive coils. I'm sure you appreciate that you want max. air flow to your FMIC.

Looking good!

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #1434
GTJordan
Been here for too long

What cams are you running?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #1435
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Re: the range of misery for the mounts; exactly the same in my car with HD rubber mounts and the STS solid third mount. It makes me want to rip the dashboard out of the car.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #1436
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Looks Much Euro

What mounts?

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #1437
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I would never run those STS 3rd mounts on a street car.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #1438
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I would never run those STS 3rd mounts on a street car.
using softer mounts with our torque mounts is fine. If you are running stiff mounts plus the torque mount it's going to rattle. The Jag mounts alone rattle more than our torque mount with softer mounts.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #1439
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Can you do a torque mount with a rubber bushing on one end?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #1440
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
using softer mounts with our torque mounts is fine. If you are running stiff mounts plus the torque mount it's going to rattle. The Jag mounts alone rattle more than our torque mount with softer mounts.
I have cheapo stock engine/trans mounts in my car plus your thick rod. It's honestly fine for daily use. Definitely noticeable at idle but I have no issue living with it.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1441
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Welded together early torque rods hang onto the motor fine in John Lane's old car?

Rubber both ends is probably fine if it's captured, so +1?

Nice to have little/no noise, but let the clutch out with the 700 style center bearing/3rd mount and not feel everything move like 4" like a giant flopping fish, but not buzz your brains out with poly/heims everywhere.

It's a tractor car and all, but livable/rubber is nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #1442
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Let's have a party. My car will be in the garage about that time, whether I have to drag all the household junk into the street or not.

In time. You of all people know patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Such a good looking 242. Very impressive 16V too, would love to see it in person someday.
Thanks! It's a product of gleaning knowledge and copying the ideas that seemed to work. Having vendors that cover the gap between "Legos" and "I built a 1000hp engine of my own design with a home made crucible and a hundred year old lathe!" really makes it possible for me. I just gather existing stuff together in the hopes that it will all work out in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Glad to see the 93 AC condenser fits with minimal butchery. Don't know if you have it charged already or just test fitted; if you get another chance to remove it I'd recommend a good cleaning of those fins. Lowes/Home Depot both stock household AC condenser cleaner, which does an OK job on these automotive coils. I'm sure you appreciate that you want max. air flow to your FMIC.

Looking good!
Thanks! Yes it needs to be cleaned. My plan was to just use Purple Power and a power washer at low setting with the intercooler out of the way. I'll look into the Home Depot detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
What cams are you running?
They are locally reground stock cams...a copy of the Techtonics Tuning 276 mild race grind. Needed lash caps and modded ABA lifters for it to work. Culberro has all the deets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Re: the range of misery for the mounts; exactly the same in my car with HD rubber mounts and the STS solid third mount. It makes me want to rip the dashboard out of the car.
Dude same. These things are excellent for a racecar...not so much something with a stereo and an interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Looks Much Euro

What mounts?
ASS:
https://www.anderssonsteelspeed.se/s...0---b23230?tm=

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
Rubber! Rubber! Rubber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
I have cheapo stock engine/trans mounts in my car plus your thick rod. It's honestly fine for daily use. Definitely noticeable at idle but I have no issue living with it.
I'm old dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
Welded together early torque rods hang onto the motor fine in John Lane's old car?

Rubber both ends is probably fine if it's captured, so +1?

Nice to have little/no noise, but let the clutch out with the 700 style center bearing/3rd mount and not feel everything move like 4" like a giant flopping fish, but not buzz your brains out with poly/heims everywhere.

It's a tractor car and all, but livable/rubber is nice too.
Rubber is definitely nice. You know what else is nice? A giubo. T5s don't have them and that's a damn shame.

I'm striking the balance, while pissing with the cock I got (B230/T5). More sound deadening in doors. Better mounts in progress.

I have more ideas for drivers side mounts...in case Scott and Taylor aren't able to make a rubber bushing end for their torque mount:

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/240_P..._12566100.aspx

http://www.retroturbo.com/?product=8...-b200-b230-prt

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/1007.html

Aaand on the TB bargain basement end: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...180&cc=1101362

Last edited by Harlard; 09-10-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #1443
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Get rid of those anderson mounts.
77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #1444
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Yeah I will, but can you?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #1445
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

You could swap out one of the Teflon ends for a nylon filled rod-end. They’re a bit quieter, significantly quieter after the Teflon gets pounded out.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #1446
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
...the gap between "Legos" and "I built a 1000hp engine of my own design with a home made crucible and a hundred year old lathe!"
Have you seen that thread on the Grassroots Motorsports forum where the guy basically built his own Ferrari V12 out of welding rod!? It's not far off...
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #1447
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

You just reminded me that I didn't finish that sentence I have not seen that project. I have however seen the 1800e that is being turned into a Ferrari with a Jaaaaaaag V12!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #1448
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Prepare to fall into a rabbit hole. The guy started with a 308 and a V12 from a 400i. He added Testarossa heads to the V12, but there's not much left of the original head castings at this point...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../148959/page1/
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #1449
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Barely two pages in and already in awe
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #1450
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

really nice car man ! do you have details pics of the engine bay?
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote