Old 09-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #26
sksmith
Board Member

Impressive and quick work!
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #27
matt b
Board Member

All panels are getting prepped, primed and painted. I am considering POR-15 for the underside and even the floors inside the car. I really want this thing 100% rust free and rust proof.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Impressive and quick work!
Thanks. It helps be 2 people working. Phones are turned off, we just keep churning away.

I'll add up the hours later tonight but we have quite a few hours already into it.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #29
didenpx
Board Member

Agree with Matt; impressive how much progress you are making in such a short period of time. We're so lucky that VP is there for the vintage Volvo models; such good quality especially on the body panels!

1970 1800E (Project Roedluvan:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=1970)
1977 242DL "Senf" (Summer Cruiser)
2x1973 1800 ES (Project Reanimator; disassembly and parts detailing to begin Winter 2020)
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #30
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didenpx View Post
Agree with Matt; impressive how much progress you are making in such a short period of time. We're so lucky that VP is there for the vintage Volvo models; such good quality especially on the body panels!
Seriously. For those going to the VCOA meet in SLO next week, they will be there. Lennart and Marie-Louise are as nice as they are knowledgeable.

I'll throw up more pictures on this car soon, not much was done this weekend but this week should see some good progress.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #31
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Looking great - impressive work so far. Seeing your progress is making me regret selling my wife's '66 1800S a few years ago. We called it the Duckling because it was so ugly. It needed roughly the same amount of bodywork and panel replacement but had a super thick paint job and some nasty lap welds underneath from prior repairs. It ran and drove wonderfully though, which would have been a great head start on a body restoration. Ah well! I will live vicariously through yours and didenpx's!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #32
didenpx
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Seeing your progress is making me regret selling my wife's '66 1800S a few years ago.
Want me to hunt it down? I think someone in New England bought it, right?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Want me to hunt it down? I think someone in New England bought it, right?
Yeah, it was an interesting fellow in the Boston area. Car was #91 light green originally but had been repainted black. I have no capacity for another project right now but it would be cool to see if he made progress with it.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #34
matt b
Board Member

It would be cool to see what happened to it. The light green is a neat color too, you don't see many of those around.

This is where we stopped last Wednesday. Good progress but still tons of prep needed on just about everything in the picture.

IMG_0136

Entire right side still has tape from being blasted (some of the trim was seized on, etc....), many spot welds were left on and there is surface rust in all of the rails and hidden areas.

Another quick test fit:

IMG_0138

The red on the tail panel is a reflection of a massive stain of red engine paint on the garage floor.

IMG_0137

Rocker is just sitting on there, it's not welded on.

IMG_0139

Pulled the wiring out of the rocker and started prepping that area for SEM Rust-Mort and primer

IMG_0127

A neat connector I had never seen on a Volvo before. VW's had them, as did French cars:

IMG_0128

IMG_0129

Still need to finish off a patch panel for the front of the inner rock. It's too thin for comfort and even if it's not a structural area (all A pillar panels tie together above the weak area), I don't want to leave it as-is.

Last edited by matt b; 09-18-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
matt b
Board Member

Tons of prep left:

vCMgGhxIQgqh5cnn8uF9Vg

Patch panel 1/2 made:

IMG_0140

Working on 2/2

IMG_0141

Got a fun little surprise....
IMG_0135

I had prepped the axle off of 6501 and planned on using it in 1311. It would save me time and give me a little more in the garage. Well 1311 is an M40 car and has a 4:10 axle, and 6501 is an M41 car and has a 4:56 axle.....
Not swapping anything, I'll do the axle for each car individually.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
matt b
Board Member

I wanted to get the inner panels in paint ASAP. It would help me determine whether we scanned a good panel for the paint mix and also get these areas sealed and ready for install.

Monday was paint day, mixed with heading to a friend's parents' house to repair the power steering on their 2004 BMW

IMG_0131

IMG_0130

I forgot to get a picture after the etch primer, but it's a yellow-green color and must be covered with filler primer within 8 hours.

Laid a little color, soooooo satisfying:

IMG_0132

IMG_0133

Got pretty close to the correct shade of red, may try to tweak it a little more

IMG_0134
Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
matt b
Board Member

Rocker done on the driver's side. Fitment is dead-on. I'll need to trim the fender patch to get the correct line on the rocker but that shouldn't be too complex.

IMG_0139

AED087DC-1398-48EC-BEDF-E1472788BFD7

isaauM1ZQHCEET%oCFt+Gw

Passenger rear corner needed some love. There was rust on the bottom of the wheel well.

Um9c8tiJQC+E0qr70NF6Sw

GNI1DbQYRjSUrzVWzQqwjg
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #38
matt b
Board Member

Rear corner 2 months ago as a reference:

IMG_3867

It will be finished off with the TIG welder, it's just tacked into place for now.

Ass end is coming together at last:

p4XDishXSbG+ycMRHMRFKQ

Rear set pan on passenger side was rusty. Thankfully the frame rails are rock solid, as is the trailing arm mounting bracket. Eric at Hi Performance Auto sent a patch panel which took me the better part of 6 hours to get down to the correct size, and free of the frame rail and brackets

gJCSa8tdTGuGcfTqI2CADA

Some thick metal underneath that portion of floor:

iuzTvrfvRq23WqltfHCHFQ

Next up: passenger outer rocker panel. It had been hit and was rusty.

vutNPAcaRU+hCFYi9I4FoA

I'll be pulling back some of the rear quarter and some of the fender to get the new rocker in place.

Still hoping to send it to paint next week, I'm cleaning the underside to find any rust or damage that needs to be cut out and replaced. So far, so good.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #39
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Man, I wish I had this kind of skill, excellent work!

1966 Volvo Amazon, 1968 Volvo Amazon Combi, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #40
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Man, I wish I had this kind of skill, excellent work!
Thank you. Skill or insanity ? I'm leaning heavily on my buddy to help me with the welding. We both obsess over details, which can slow progress but makes for better results.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #41
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Thank you. Skill or insanity ? I'm leaning heavily on my buddy to help me with the welding. We both obsess over details, which can slow progress but makes for better results.
I don't know anything about that mentality
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #42
cwdodson88
Board Member

I have a bunch of 1800 parts that I cant seem to give away on fleabay. If you have a need for anything, let me know and I'll check out what all I have.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #43
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I have a bunch of 1800 parts that I cant seem to give away on fleabay. If you have a need for anything, let me know and I'll check out what all I have.
Want to send me pics of what you have ? I need a ton of little things, it may be easier to see what you have go from there.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #44
cwdodson88
Board Member

It might be easier to send you the boxes! I’ll get pictures this weekend
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #45
matt b
Board Member

Trying tp update this thread and sucking at it.

The car went to the body shop for paint on Friday, huge milestone on a car that was sold to me as a rust free roller and was anything but.....

Next up was the patch panel on the driver's fender. After trying a vendor in Canada, I opted to get a better panel from VP-Autoparts. Thicker metal, better fitment.

isaauM1ZQHCEET%oCFt+Gw

And done. Forgot to take during pics

s6dc9HpgSGaa9uvLrHTIBg

At this point, we were in a bit of a hurry. I really wanted to get the car out of here no later than 10/15 due to some forced down time. We did it, with a few days to spare but there were some long days put in to get there.

Took a Saturday away from welding fumes to clog my nose with JB Weld dust:

47EB84A0-3C1A-4673-9835-E71EEF7CF083

F055E07F-F0C8-450C-8C62-F1E19E793BFF

Got the driver's quarter on. So much quicker than the patch on the passenger side. Perfect fitment.

+xeu4+h1RmaoIsqVaenwAA

EDBEB91D-C6E9-40DC-997D-6EB83B60F700

Welds were ground down to allow for the trim.

Working on a patch for the area above the tail light. That was a nightmare, the car had been hit hard and the metal had been cut off altogether.

o2zQDVzbRmeopRck4zFtuQ

Had to cut away the fuel recess area and use one from a donor.

IMG_0126

59174478022__A1C36E9E-EFC8-4669-9E2E-CCDC74E6E6A0

It made me realize that the trunk panel wasn't exactly as good as I had hoped:

460%FRNxRTGuHYYikSKC4g

I'll need to continue trimming the area around the filler neck (trunk floor) to get the tank to sit back a little bit. Hopefully it will line up with the fuel filler.

Did some color on the engine bay. Did the same etch/filler primers first and then color a few days later:

59209289859__C7E68B52-E955-4CA6-B860-A3185B3A04BD

Did some of the interior too:
59209310251__63BA7232-3E27-47CA-911E-387E4654E129

A few more days of work, some long nights and the back panel was on. It went on amazingly quick but the prep was 4+ days of work. Like most panels, it's made to be a tad longer than what you need so a lot of careful trimming was needed.

59251833787__CA4DB8C2-BBE5-4B89-A6D1-F6C539861028

I'll update when I have worthwhile progress from the bodyshop.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #46
didenpx
Board Member

I'm curious how you dealt with the quarter panel where it attaches to the rear nacelle (or whatever the back piece is called) in this areas below the trunk floor that you can't access for welding.

Great progress all around; congratulations on keeping to a schedule and reaching the pant milestone!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #47
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
I'm curious how you dealt with the quarter panel where it attaches to the rear nacelle (or whatever the back piece is called) in this areas below the trunk floor that you can't access for welding.

Great progress all around; congratulations on keeping to a schedule and reaching the pant milestone!
We drilled small holes all around the base and welded it to the "structure" of the car that way. We clamped the panel beneath the trunk lid to the rear quarters to get everything to fit and line up. VP's panels are perfect.

Met with body man yesterday, it was a humbling experience. I knew the driver's fender patch wasn't perfect but he pointed out a lot of mistakes that were made during welding. We tried to go too fast and could have saved time in the long run by doing butt welds over a longer period of time.

Next car is on the rotisseries and getting floors and frame work done (it's heavily braced) but I'm tempted to let the body shop finish the welding of the outside panels to avoid repeating mistakes.

Live and learn, I guess.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #48
sksmith
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Next car is on the rotisseries and getting floors and frame work done (it's heavily braced) but I'm tempted to let the body shop finish the welding of the outside panels to avoid repeating mistakes.
Live and learn, I guess.
I'm tempted to do the same thing with my rear quarter patches. Doing the floors on my 142, I think I'm probably not a competent enough welder for finish bodywork.
Your progress is inspiring!
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #49
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
I'm tempted to do the same thing with my rear quarter patches. Doing the floors on my 142, I think I'm probably not a competent enough welder for finish bodywork.
Your progress is inspiring!
Thanks, it's been a journey so far!

A rotisserie is really handy. It takes up a ton of room but it's so much safer and easier than working on your back!
Old 11-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #50
matt b
Board Member

Some progress, very little of which is mine. Neeko, the body man I am using for the final body work and paint is moving quickly on it.

As it sat 2 weeks ago.

Untitled

Untitled