• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Supercharged B230F Ideas

spock345

I recently finished an AC delete on my 240 and was wondering what I could possibly do with the void in the engine bay formerly occupied by the compressor.

I landed on the idea of a supercharger. Perhaps something like an Aisin SC12 (MR2), SC14 (Previa), or an Eaton M62 (Mercedes). The SC12 should fit without much hassle in the compressors former location but the SC14 or M62 will most likely require relocating the PS pump to another accessory mount. I could move the alternator to the other side of the engine bay and use that mounting point for a larger supercharger and intercooler piping.

I also found that Aisin makes a small 500cc supercharger that would fit almost exactly where the compressor used to be. If my math is right then it would give me about 6.2 PSI of boost with a 1:2.5 pulley ratio. About one PSI short of a stock B230FT. Although that would be pushing the supercharger to its limits. I can put two of those together but it would get complicated fast. I mostly entertain this option because it seems simple and cheap if the math works even though it is incredibly stupid.

For engine management and fuel I have the LH 2.4 computers from a 740 turbo and orange top injectors from an 850 turbo. I hope to make something in the neighborhood of 150-160HP.

These are just my musings from the last day or so of brainstorming ideas. I am looking at the supercharger instead of a turbocharger because I like the idea of taking the road less traveled and I hate doing exhaust work. Ideally this would be an easy bolt on-bolt off mod when finished.

This is still very much conceptual at this point and I would appreciate some input or criticisms.

Last edited:
Also take into consideration the parasitic draw of that supercharger. So at 6.2psi you’d likely be around 160bhp, but wouldn’t the parasitic draw bring it back down? I would opt for more boosts personally.

Is your 89 2.4 or 2.2?

I really think I’m the long run, a turbo makes more sense because it’s so easy to do, but if you’re keen on taking the road less traveled then I’d love to see it. There are a handful of SC red blocks on here I think. You’ll have to search to see results.

The car is LH 2.4.

I have to delve a bit deeper to figure out exactly what the parasitic draw would be. The Aisin unit is tiny and probably won't draw a lot of extra power. The Toyota and Eaton unit would likely draw more power from the crank as the output is almost double or triple the tiny Aisin but they also would provide higher boost with a smaller pulley ratio.

The car is LH 2.4.

I have to delve a bit deeper to figure out exactly what the parasitic draw would be. The Aisin unit is tiny and probably won't draw a lot of extra power. The Toyota and Eaton unit would likely draw more power from the crank as the output is almost double or triple the tiny Aisin but they also would provide higher boost with a smaller pulley ratio.

The SC12 came in the 4agze right? I would imagine it might be undersized for a 2.3L.

I found a flaw in my math regarding the Aisin 500, it will only do 1-2 PSI. So pretty much diddly squat. I would also be limiting myself a bit with the SC12 but it would work.

The SC14 seems to be more common than the SC12 and would give me 1400cc's per revolution to play with. It originally came on a 2.4L in a Previa. The smaller Eatons that showed up on four cylinder Mercedes are also dirt cheap.

If I go with an eaton M45, M62, or SC14 I could mount it above the alternator and perhaps even re-use some of the intercooler piping from a B230FT.

An M62 or M45 is probably what I will go with. Especially given that I can get one for less than $200. The M90 is a bit too much for what I am going for. I can probably fit either pretty easily on either side of the engine. Just would have to get some aluminum bar stock to make a bracket.

Having a power steering pump with a supercharger needs some measuring and making brackets. Didn't use one in my builds though. Best choice would be installing the supercharger under the intake(if you don't want it seen) and using a power steering pump with a separate reservoir on the bottom. Or go electric.

Even a M90 will fit under the intake but will be much more tighter fit than M62 or M65/M45. I think with that you would have to use an electric power steering.

M65 is a bit on the small side but should be enough for your power goals. It is also the easiest to fit and have room for a power steering pump. I should do some digging what were the pulley ratios. But around 2 in any case. It's already over nine years since I had either of the supercharged 16V cars.

This is what my M62 looked like:
30.jpg

This is the fitment with a B204FT/GT intake:
49.jpg

And here you can see a bit how much space there is under the M62 even with a B234 intake, which gives more space compared to a B204FT/GT intake. But I like to have things somewhat accessible.
29.jpg

M90 is massive and had to modify it some to make it fit. Different snout lengths also add variables. Steel flanges for added weight :lol:
128.jpg

130.jpg

Here is a link to a crappy video of the 2.1 16V 245 incar, but at least you'll hear something.

You could also double your troubles and go for a HX40 and M65 with LH2.4.
23.jpg

Last edited:
An M45 seems to be the around the same dimensions as the AC compressor I removed, produces 750cc's per revolution, with a 14k rpm redline. So assuming a 6500 rpm redline on the engine I can get up to 13.26 psi of boost with a 2.2:1 pulley. With an M62 I am looking at a ratio of 1.65 to make the same boost but I don't push the supercharger anywhere near its redline.

What do you think of mounting it above the alternator on the exhaust side and using the intercooler and tubing from a 740 or 940? That way I only have to worry about a mount, pulley, and manifolds for the supercharger.

There is a member on the board that did a supercharged & turbocharged redblock years ago now very successfully.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MoB7yjNlJ/?igshid=1uz0i7trhxle0
went back to running just a ported m90 this year, with a 2.8" blower pulley and a 6" crank I am seeing almost 20psi. This is really pushing a roots blower past its effective range, I am running a massive air to water intercooler and water/meth just to keep the IATs down. long and short of it is a turbo car at the same boost pressures will be faster all around, there is no escaping the fact that superchargers have drag, and two meshing rotors is an inefficient way of compressing air.
I will say it is a blast to drive, has instant torque similar to a stock 5.0L, and for the time and money invested in it I am more then happy with this fun drift project!
biggest issue I have had is shearing stock crank gears. I went through 4 before I stopped being stupid and got Josh's billet one, between the drive of the supercharger pulley and the extra strain of an rsi cam and springs the stock stuff absolutely is not up to the task
have a listen to that whine tho! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAFeTf57XcY

Last edited:
Back