home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
D.E
tvåförti

Default Ignition for carbed 8v?

I'm just now wrapping up the engine build for my 242 and everything's together except for the ignition system.

The engine is a fairly aggressive B23 running about 12,5:1 compression, carbs and a cam that means I need to rev at least about 7000 to get anything out of it. What I need is programmable ignition that lets me rev as far as I want and adjust so that it doesn't ping and knock.

Any suggestions?
D.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Joooo råder jag att du köp nåt.
Hur var de för ''any'' sug gestion?

khi khi

Just läste en av mina favorit böcker över helgen du jag var sjuk och det var en 1955 utgåva av Vaino Linnas ''Okänd Soldat''....vet ej om du har läst den men i den översättarn jobbade hårt för att ger ett svensk+talnde läsare ett bra kän på dom olika dialekter i Finland från Ästerbottn till 'Fjärr Karelen''

Du ska tacka att jag överhuvudtaget kan skirv även enkla stavningar och du får inte en massa ''tom tär'' i stället
för dom där , op i stället för på......
Finns nån riktig dialeker kvar uppe i darlana eller har dom gick i pissi senaste 40 år?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis

Last edited by John V, outside agitator; 11-06-2014 at 11:03 PM..
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
burstcurse
Board Member

take a gm hei distributor and adapt it to fit the motor. then adjust the weights and springs for the advance you need.

something like this

http://performancedistributors.com/p...i-distributor/
burstcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
D.E
tvåförti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Joooo råder jag att du köp nåt.
Hur var de för ''any'' sug gestion?

khi khi

Just läste en av mina favorit böcker över helgen du jag var sjuk och det var en 1955 utgåva av Vaino Linnas ''Okänd Soldat''....vet ej om du har läst den men i den översättarn jobbade hårt för att ger ett svensk+talnde läsare ett bra kän på dom olika dialekter i Finland från Ästerbottn till 'Fjärr Karelen''

Du ska tacka att jag överhuvudtaget kan skirv även enkla stavningar och du får inte en massa ''tom tär'' i stället
för dom där , op i stället för på......
Finns nån riktig dialeker kvar uppe i darlana eller har dom gick i pissi senaste 40 år?

Haha, nej den har jag inte läst. Jag blir lite förvånad om du kan tala finska John, det måste vara svårt att lära sig som amerikan jämfört med svenska och andra germanska språk som ändå är nära engelska.

Nog pratar vi dalska här ännu, främst ovanför Siljan och då mest i byar norr om Mora som Våmhus och Älvdalen. Då menar jag de riktigt annorlunda dialekterna, som inte en stockholmare kan förstå.

Fast nu wa e fäll tändningen åt donda Volvon i add stående åjta gardi wi språked um å it nå oder kuck...
Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
sbabbs
Board Member

Easy would be boat points distributor and then put the electronic upgrade in it. I did in my boat. Take the points out, drops right in. Not sure how to adjust the advance. IT is mechanical, the shaft is what turns on it a little. Maybe with an MSD. Might work okay stock.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
quillc
yv1a.com

http://www.123ignitionusa.com/volvo-distributors-2.html

A little pricy for turbobricks, but should work great for this application.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #7
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillc View Post
http://www.123ignitionusa.com/volvo-distributors-2.html

A little pricy for turbobricks, but should work great for this application.
My coworker has this in his p1800. Really nice piece. Really fun to mess with as well
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
740atl
educator monkey

what about just the msd 6al-2?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
what about just the msd 6al-2?
Or MSD 6AL-2 6530?

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
OttoB
Board Member

I don't care who is quilty, I'm missing Lahtinen and machine gun. Tack Jonny V..

Cheap and easy ignition would be from B230E and B230 K, those have Bosch EZK 118 ignition system, it has MAP sensor, good abilities to control knock control. Engine speed is measured from distributor, so your choices are free with flywheel. Mapping of those is bit unknown territory, but could be similar to EZK117 (B230FT) box. Anyways you can move your base map up and down by turning distributor.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
cwdodson88
Board Member

megajolt.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

Serio7sly surprised people havent recomended the microsquirt v2. Sweet little unit and cheap too.

Current setup - Aluminum L33/Summit Turbo Stage 2/Gen 1 Billet 7875, single Walbro 450 and Dual AEM 400's, Bosch 210's
60' 1.51 - 1/8 6.38 @ 110.8mph - 1/4 xxx
3060lb no driver
3240lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
Serio7sly surprised people havent recomended the microsquirt v2. Sweet little unit and cheap too.
lol, seems like when you hear squirt you have to have fuel injection... I like your option.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
new one is v3
Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
burstcurse
Board Member

but if he did megasquirt then he may as well run fuel injection too,but then he wouldn't have all the joy trying to get a gawd dang carburetor to fing work for fcus sake.
burstcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
D.E
tvåförti

Wow, lots of suggestions here. I considered Microsquirt before when I was considering fuel injection, but the lack of decent intake manifolds and the fact that a coworker had a set of very appropriate carbs he wanted to sell made me go that route instead. MSD also crossed my mind but I'm not sure how it works and I think the setups are pretty expensive and hard to find in Europe. Do you need a different distributor as well or is the MSD compatible with a LH2.2 hall-effect distributor?

The EDIS4/Megajolt is also a cool and reasonable option. EDIS Fords are plentiful in the yards here and Megajolt can be purchased from the UK. It is not very tried here though and it would be hard to find support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoB View Post
I don't care who is quilty, I'm missing Lahtinen and machine gun. Tack Jonny V..

Cheap and easy ignition would be from B230E and B230 K, those have Bosch EZK 118 ignition system, it has MAP sensor, good abilities to control knock control. Engine speed is measured from distributor, so your choices are free with flywheel. Mapping of those is bit unknown territory, but could be similar to EZK117 (B230FT) box. Anyways you can move your base map up and down by turning distributor.
This sounds interesting. The B230A engines use an electronic breakerless ignition system that is apparently fairly easy to set up and a common upgrade for early breaker/points ignition 240's. Is this also EZK118? A friend has a 740 with the A engine he's parting and I could find the components there very cheap. Does this system use a rev limiter?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
sim
Mere Drab Mob

Standalone and GM V8 coils is a pretty good upgrade from points.

If you keep it carburetted, you can probably get away with just MAP and IAT sensors and some way of determining the RPM.

Fully programmable is hard to beat, and an ignition cut rev limiter is quite fun.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

Undoubtedly EDIS with Megajolt is the way to go.

With that you'll have full control of ignition advance, so you'll be able to make it work with which ever cam you choose to use and which ever compression ratio you happen to have.

The only "problem" to solve is how to attach the trigger wheel and the VR sensor, and as you have a B23, even that will be almost too easy.

The best way is to mount the trigger wheel behind the belt pulley in front of the crank, as pictured:

The trigger wheel is welded to the hub piece once you have determined the correct orientation.

You'll need to shorten the collars on the front aluminum piece which holds the seals, as pictured:

Best way to make the bracket for the VR sensor is to mount it down-low. Using the oil pan fixing bolts allows for a really short bracket. With a VR sensor a short bracket is desirable, as a short one is easier to make so that it'll be stiff enough. Stiffnes of the bracket is of utmost importance with VR-sensors, as a bracket that flexes will cause problems with the VR signal.

The rest is just some wiring work, and then you'll have a fully programmable ignition. The EDIS ignition systems has proven to be very reliable. Only downside is the lack of a RPM limiter, and i think Autosportlabs have a solution for that as well these days.

Om du behöver en triggerhjul, skicka mig ett privat meddelande så kanske vi kan komma up med någonting.

Cops pulled me over. Papers, they said. Scissors, i replied. Still i did not win. Go figure.

Last edited by Wagner; 11-08-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #19
VolvoLatAm
Board Member

I want to upgrade the ignition system to a breakerless one on my 1982 volvo 244 GL...do you know where I can find these parts from the B230a for the breakerless system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E View Post
Wow, lots of suggestions here. I considered Microsquirt before when I was considering fuel injection, but the lack of decent intake manifolds and the fact that a coworker had a set of very appropriate carbs he wanted to sell made me go that route instead. MSD also crossed my mind but I'm not sure how it works and I think the setups are pretty expensive and hard to find in Europe. Do you need a different distributor as well or is the MSD compatible with a LH2.2 hall-effect distributor?

The EDIS4/Megajolt is also a cool and reasonable option. EDIS Fords are plentiful in the yards here and Megajolt can be purchased from the UK. It is not very tried here though and it would be hard to find support.

This sounds interesting. The B230A engines use an electronic breakerless ignition system that is apparently fairly easy to set up and a common upgrade for early breaker/points ignition 240's. Is this also EZK118? A friend has a 740 with the A engine he's parting and I could find the components there very cheap. Does this system use a rev limiter?
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #20
quillc
yv1a.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
I want to upgrade the ignition system to a breakerless one on my 1982 volvo 244 GL...do you know where I can find these parts from the B230a for the breakerless system?
Thread revival!

The B230A engines would have been Canadian. The A is for carb(s).

Someone on the board may have something laying around, but I would suspect it to be pretty rare these days.
quillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

I have used Dizzy's and the wiring needed for the conversion. I also stock the 123Tune dizzy if you want to map the ignition

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
Avtovaz
Board Member

wagner will you not be running a cam belt cover then?

also, look at speeduino, thats properly cheep and uses tuner studio too. Ive microsquirt on my bmw with the b230 engine in it, but on my mini when i turbo it ill be using teh speeduino.
Avtovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #23
PCH
Board Member

Complete Compu-Fire DIS-IX system is under $300. I ran it with K-jet for years. The distributor shaft needs a small modification or be swapped for the one with lobes for the points.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote