home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #76
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I gotta say, you aren't going to get a blueprint for what you want. Take what we have all said, think on it, and choose a budget and a path to follow.

If you want to do this, custom parts are needed, and it will cost a bit if you don't have the skills or tools to do it. I would say the cheapest and easiest way is to get a 15g with a conical flange from an 850, injectors that are at least 36 to 46 lbs, and a 3" maf from a 960.
This allows you to use the stock downpipe, and intercooler piping is easy to shift around. You need to clock the turbo still, but that isn't a big deal. A ball valve boost controller lets ya turn up the boost. I flogged mine at 22 PSI, but that is way beyond it's efficiency range, I just didn't care, but it will not last that long at that level, and an intercooler upgrade is key.

The car will be a good bit faster, and you can burn tires at will. It seems to me from all this discussion that you need to come up with a HP budget, then see what fits that budget. Megasquirts, cams, turbos, this stuff costs a lot more than just buying it. Figure out a budget and come at it from that angle.

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #77
Redheaded sailor bum
Board Member

You're right originally I just though oh 300 is a good range forndrifting and then actually thinking about the power to weight it just wouldnt make sense
I appreciate everyones input on this I didnt expect the sure fire idea behind it injustice was curious on what others have done
Old 11-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #78
kyote
Ridin' High & Sittin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I'm using 4 led resistors I got at Walmart with my microsquirt and low z Siemens 72# injectors.
Yes sir, running the same on the Microsquirt Mail Jeep GM TBI injectors.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #79
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Pretty sure no 940s had Garrett turbos as stock, probably someone stuck an older turbo on there as a cheaper fix.
T25 was used on 940 se, not all of them. They were probably left over from 740 parts.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #80
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded sailor bum View Post
Looks like a ar 42 m24 I cant find the serial plate
0.42 A/R and M24 are specific only to the housing that they are cast into, and don't pertain to the turbo as a whole.

A/R is a design attribute and every housing has a value for this, and they are not specific or unique to a turbo model or frame size.

The Mxx numbers are just Garrett shorthand material codes for the alloy that the housing is made of. M24 is one of the common aluminum alloy specs used for compressor housings.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #81
klr142
Turbo, what?

Side note, for what it's worth, the IPD Turbo camshaft is one of the only camshafts readily available in the US anymore(that I know of) at a reasonable price range and it will do you well with your goals.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #82
Redheaded sailor bum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Side note, for what it's worth, the IPD Turbo camshaft is one of the only camshafts readily available in the US anymore(that I know of) at a reasonable price range and it will do you well with your goals.
I've heard mixed reviews on it and I know.opd quality has gone downhill from what it used to be
Any clue on how it compares to a rsi
Redheaded sailor bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #83
klr142
Turbo, what?

Their camshafts are fine. The IPD Turbo camshaft will idle better than the RSI camshaft and have better drivability off idle but it MAY have reduced performance after that at higher rpm(the IPD cam has less overlap at low lift/valve opening). It'll be enough for your goals and I would not purchase an RSI camshaft if it were me, considering you can't get one new and their designs aren't straight forward. You can compare the two lobes HERE, assuming whatever RSI camshaft you get is actually the one measured here as a Stage 2, because their first camshafts came out as a Stage 2 and then they renamed it to their Stage 1 and who knows WTF really is going on.

Last edited by klr142; 11-15-2019 at 12:02 PM..
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #84
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Like he said ^^ There is nothing wrong with a new IPD camshaft. I just bought and installed a VX cam and adjustable gear for a customer and it looked every bit as good as any other aftermarket cam we install.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Like he said ^^ There is nothing wrong with a new IPD camshaft. I just bought and installed a VX cam and adjustable gear for a customer and it looked every bit as good as any other aftermarket cam we install.
I had a vx cam with a 15G pushing 16psi made 186hp 225wtq back in 2010 cam straight up on green tops and a 3" maf.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:56 AM   #86
OttoB
Board Member

B230F + 16T on 90+ exhaust manifold+A-cam. 295 HP with Re85. Injectors round 650 ccm.

Only special thing was China rods, was 9 mm from factory.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #87
lummert
Board Member

I cut my teeth on anemic domestic 80's ****boxes. My mostly stock 88 765 TI does as good if not better than some ****boxes from the 80's. So don't expect miracles and maybe your B230FT won't vent the block.