home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Default Gathering a parts list for KJet to Carb

I revived a 76í 245 dL got it run and drive for the first time in decades.
The kjet system however is pretty tired, lots of erratic idling not so smooth power delivery.

So rather than gathering the tools to diagnose it or throw a new set of injectors plus a fuel distributor at it I have decided I would just like to do a twin carb set up using a twin penta manifold.

so Iím Trying to gather a parts for it. Iíd like to use penta equipment as much as possible because I can pluck it for really good prices from boat motors.

Looking for best options ignition timing, fuel pressure regulator, linkage and whatís a good set of modern carbs that will fit the rail for a good price. I know how to tune and jet a carb, and enough about the kjet system to install it from pieces left in a box, but any advice from people who have done similar conversions would be very welcome!

VolvoEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

List

1. Penta intake

2. Two carbs Mikuni/solex Weber? Best recommendation

3. Ignition timing (what do the boats use)? Would a good aftermarket one be cheap and easy?

4. Fuel pressure, much lower than that for kjet like .5 bars or something?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

If you are using a Penta twin carb setup. It's good to use the V cam that those Penta engins used. Single Penta carb is an A cam. But twins use a V for a bit more ooomph.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
If you are using a Penta twin carb setup. It's good to use the V cam that those Penta engins used. Single Penta carb is an A cam. But twins use a V for a bit more ooomph.
Noted. Itís definitely cammed already I havnt popped it open to see whatís in it yet though. Itís an 81 mpg motor the guy who sold it to me said he had a new rebuilt head on it before he gave up on the car. Revs and idles pretty mean when itís working well. I dont think itís the mpg cam in there.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Any idea how they ran ignition timing on those guys? Points? Bosch?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Sorry, I don't have any Penta information about the ignition.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
bobxyz
Board Member

google: "converting k-jet to carburetor site:turbobricks.com"
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
google: "converting k-jet to carburetor site:turbobricks.com"
Look feller, there are many ways to do it. I have googled my gaggle off. Looking for some first hand experience, to see what the best routes not using that single Weber carb kit that costs 650$ but sort of sucks.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
bobxyz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoEmpire View Post
Look feller, there are many ways to do it. I have googled my gaggle off. Looking for some first hand experience, to see what the best routes not using that single Weber carb kit that costs 650$ but sort of sucks.
Sorry if I came off as flippant, but you're asking about an unusual conversion (carbs) of what's become an uncommon system (k-jet), in the USA and for cheap $$$. This was much more common ~10 years ago, and hence the suggestion to search. You might also try searching the projects&restorations thread for similar conversions.

For fueling, you'll need a "return type" or "bypass type" regulator to drop the really high K-Jet fuel pump pressures down to the ~3psi (IIRC) needed by most carbs. Try the holley website for basic info.

For ignition, you could try using your K-Jet system with a tee'd vacuum connection between the carbs/manifolds. Running the vacuum line to a single carb/manifold probably won't work. I don't know if converting to a LH2.2 NA distributor and Chrysler ignition box would be any better than the K-Jet setup.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
kyote
Ridin' High & Sittin' Low

You will be way ahead of the game getting Kbasic working right.

The boat carbs do not work well in a car application.

Weber carb is trash.

K Basic is one of the best Volvo ever used IMO, simple and runs great once tuned up, and will continue to run in perpetuity so long as you do not let the car sit up. Drive it hard and often and it will run forever.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

I'd keep kjet or swap in a LH 2.4 from a later car, cheap as dirt, available, and reliable.
Plenty of hand holding posts and step by step directions for that vs going backwards to carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

A V cam with kjet works very well, too.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
Sorry if I came off as flippant, but you're asking about an unusual conversion (carbs) of what's become an uncommon system (k-jet), in the USA and for cheap $$$. This was much more common ~10 years ago, and hence the suggestion to search. You might also try searching the projects&restorations thread for similar conversions.

For fueling, you'll need a "return type" or "bypass type" regulator to drop the really high K-Jet fuel pump pressures down to the ~3psi (IIRC) needed by most carbs. Try the holley website for basic info.

For ignition, you could try using your K-Jet system with a tee'd vacuum connection between the carbs/manifolds. Running the vacuum line to a single carb/manifold probably won't work. I don't know if converting to a LH2.2 NA distributor and Chrysler ignition box would be any better than the K-Jet setup.

I had a carbed p1800 with a crane cams electronic ignition system for a few years, I grew to love the ease and reliability of the system as well as the great sounds.

My plan was to see if I could match a set of nice Mikuni carbs to a boat manifold and step down the fuel pressure. Iíve seen people run b230s and b21s on carbs over youtube.. . . Hell Iíve seen people set it up on 90ís civics.

The plan is too delete the complicated and derelict system that runs the car currently all together. The thing came to me with an engine from 1981, no transmission, two wiring harnessís installed (lol) and vacuum/external component routing that sits somewhere in between the 76í and 81í systems. While I brought it back from the dead and have driven it around, Iíd like to just put Frankensteined mix of early kjet and later emissions control components out of its misery.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
Kestrel
Board Member

I went 81 KJet to FI via MegaSquirt 1. IMO, that’s a much better swap than anything involving carbs.
Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #15
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

ew carbs

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Could always just go LH 2.2, if you're scared of K-Jet, which works very well if it's fixed.

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote