• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for good tire choice thread

did you miss the part about the UHP tires that were used on a local 850 turbo ... as in yes that new design that was posted ... yes i have worked on a car with them and after 2 weeks or running them he removed and got new tires

What does he have now, and what does he think of them. 850Ts in stock condition are known for being able to spin tires pretty easily...

he had some old Continental tires on it before that were ok just worn ... installed the UHP's and all of a sudden he'd spin them on a stock car(well if you count the cone filter as a mod) ... threw them away after a few weeks of driving them and just got some kuhmo's ... been on them up untill he blew up the engine

as i think i said the BFG's should last a good long time and give good traction .. the dunlops i have which when new were $50 more each have the same miles but 90% more wear than the BFG's so

W/e tire you go with, I have to mention not to use a company called Douglas (though, I'm fairly certain the fact that no one has ever heard of it basically means no one will). I don't know why I'm running these tires, but I'm fairly certain I wont be soon (either due to me buying new ones, or them ending my life).

*Although I've never lost traction on ice with them.

fyi tire rack is ok

tire rack is ok... but dont forget to take a look at something like consumer reports... because is it more independant... any comment on tirerack is random opinion... i think your safer listening to people here... consumer reports liked (in order from best) h rated tires listed only (dunlop had over all score of 85 and the general had a 50)
dunlop sp sport 5000
michelin pilot exalto a/s
falken ziex ze 512
continental contiprocontact
michelin pilot xgth4(which is old stock i dont think you can get it "new" now)
bridgestone potenza re950
bfgoodrich traction t/a
yokohoma avid h4
summitomo htr h4
bridgstone hp50
michelin energy mxv4 plus
goodyear assurance trippletread
kmo solus kh16
pirelli p6 four seasons (i know i wont be buying pirelli because of the exploding tire accident i had in my town just the other week)
bridgstone potenza g009
dayton daytona hr
fustion hri
continetial contipremiercontact
cooper lifeliner touring sle
bridgstone turanza el400
hankoook optimoh418
general exclaim

the exact ratings arent really important suffice to say that the ones at the top are gonna be better than the ones at the bottom, and the general rep of the tire is gnna dictate how good it is... generally michelin fuel efficent and quiet and sticky... cheaper brands are not very round inthe long run... but if they dont last long it dont matter
ive found that the non performance 't' rated traction t/a semms to be a better build quality than the 'h' or 'v' rated traction t/a

W/e tire you go with, I have to mention not to use a company called Douglas (though, I'm fairly certain the fact that no one has ever heard of it basically means no one will). I don't know why I'm running these tires, but I'm fairly certain I wont be soon (either due to me buying new ones, or them ending my life).

*Although I've never lost traction on ice with them.

Sure, I've heard of Douglas. I'm an older fart - 30-something.

jb

;-)

tire rack is ok... but dont forget to take a look at something like consumer reports... because is it more independant... any comment on tirerack is random opinion... i think your safer listening to people here... consumer reports liked (in order from best) h rated tires listed only (dunlop had over all score of 85 and the general had a 50)
dunlop sp sport 5000
michelin pilot exalto a/s
falken ziex ze 512
continental contiprocontact
michelin pilot xgth4(which is old stock i dont think you can get it "new" now)
bridgestone potenza re950
bfgoodrich traction t/a
yokohoma avid h4
summitomo htr h4
bridgstone hp50
michelin energy mxv4 plus
goodyear assurance trippletread
kmo solus kh16
pirelli p6 four seasons (i know i wont be buying pirelli because of the exploding tire accident i had in my town just the other week)
bridgstone potenza g009
dayton daytona hr
fustion hri
continetial contipremiercontact
cooper lifeliner touring sle
bridgstone turanza el400
hankoook optimoh418
general exclaim

the exact ratings arent really important suffice to say that the ones at the top are gonna be better than the ones at the bottom, and the general rep of the tire is gnna dictate how good it is... generally michelin fuel efficent and quiet and sticky... cheaper brands are not very round inthe long run... but if they dont last long it dont matter
ive found that the non performance 't' rated traction t/a semms to be a better build quality than the 'h' or 'v' rated traction t/a

That's great information - and thanks.

I used to get Consumer Reports, not any more. I still like them. I'll keep up the research.

Thanks again,
jamie

dunlop sp sport 5000
now see from all of the use i have had on dunlop tires i have hated every set i have run. the current pair on the front of my wagon as the sp 5000's i think ... they wore stupid fast

bfg traction t/a's are really nice tires ... last a long long time and do pretty good for traction

Those were on my 91 745t when I got it. I've actually been pretty impressed with them. Quiet, grippy enough for an all season, tread wear is great.

Still can't wait to get something with more grip though :D

A Site to Review Summer Tires?

tire rack is ok... but dont forget to take a look at something like consumer reports... because is it more independant... any comment on tirerack is random opinion... i think your safer listening to people here...

Taking this slightly off topic....

One of the things users of The Snow Tire FAQ seem to like is that I am independent and don't sell tires so I am free to say almost anything I want about the tires I test. That's one of the foundations of our Real World Snow Tire Tests -- real cars, real roads, real winter conditions, and people who have nothing to gain by praising or panning any particular tire. The Snow Tire FAQ also has a forum where people can discuss their findings (http://www.snowtire.info/forum).

One of the questions I have toyed with from time to time is if there would be interest in the the Snow Tire FAQ expanding and make a place to review Summer tires? Maybe there could even be Real World Summer Tire Tests.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I have just bought a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in 205/60 R 15. They are being mounted up right now, and I should have some feedback on them by the end of the weekend.

- John

i just bought potenzas 225/50/16. They are for my 740 but i want to try they on the 242 to see if they will fit. i got them on sale on tire rack they are regular $170 each i paid $80. nice tires! rated for 172mph 140 treadwear. they are just summer tires but hopefully i'll get more than one summer out them. They greatly reduced my tire spinning problem.

BTW, I have just bought a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in 205/60 R 15. They are being mounted up right now, and I should have some feedback on them by the end of the weekend.

I picked up the tires on Friday night. They are mounted on 15x7" BBS rims.

Visual Impressions: The shoulder of the tires is very gradual. This should give the tire a very wide and predictable transition at the limits of cornering, something very typical of many Euro-tires and tires designed for street use. It looks like the tires are made to be mounted to narrower rims, even though 7" is a valid mounting width. The tread actually looks slightly narrower then the rims, but that may just be how the tires "balloon" from the rims to the tread. [If I was really smart, I would post a picture or two.]

Driving Impressions: On the expressway they seem fairly quiet. Of course, having just taken the studded tires off last week, anything is quiet. :-) Compared to the worn out (read < 2/32" tread depth at best) Kumho KH11 summer tires that I put on May 1, there is not much change in road noise.

The ride is a bit stiffer then the KH11, even with only 32 psi. I attribute this mostly to the V vs. H rating. I don't object to the ride, and actually like it. If does remind me that I really want to get a set of HD Bilsteins.

Handling for normal driving seems quite fine. I have only briefly explored cornering limits, and the test can not be considered valid: the shoulders still show mold release compound so they don't grip as well as the rest of the tire. This made for some interesting feeling as the car transitioned... the grip was very good at first, then it suddenly dropped off to a lower lower plateau -- the level of grip of the mold release compound -- as the the tires started running more on the the shoulder.

I'll post back more as I drive them more.

- John

bfg traction t/a's are really nice tires ... last a long long time and do pretty good for traction

I second that. I have about 25k mi on a set on my 245 in 215HR-60-15 on 15x7' Orion and am very pleased. Cheap, great buy for $70 ea. Great in wet weather.
Down side, these are hard tires and a rough ride.

Back