• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Odometer fried

RickATL

I made the mistake of plugging a wire into the forbidden zone. The two pronged area with the circular foam piece meant to keep me away. (I now know, didn't when I did it.)

The speedometer still works, but the odometer stopped as a result. I thinking i fried the motor?

Questions:

1) Am I on the right track?
2) Is "A" or "B" or "both" the parts that need to be replaced

Attachments

• bad_place2.jpg
    bad_place2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 49
  • odomter2.jpg
    odomter2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 48
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 49
Yes, that's a motor (B is the rotor inside the motor), but it's pretty unlikely you fried it by connecting the wrong contact. Motors are pretty resilient.

Check the odometer gears for missing teeth, yeah, but I'd be more concerned about the other components on the board there.

http://cleanflametrap.com/speedo.html has a wiring diagram but DIY best bet is probably just replacing it.

What wire did you plug in?

That connector is VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor used originally for late 80s cruise control and shift indicator. For LH2.4, the same signal goes to the ECU through a different connector. The signal comes from the ~14-pin chip on the speedo PCB.

If you fried the chip, you'll also have high idle problems and a diag code after a little spirited driving (under load and over 3000 rpm). If your idle is OK, then the odo gear would be the top suspect. If you fried the chip, you'll need to swap speedos, or swap just the PCB if you want to retain your current mileage.

I believe i plugged the yellow/red wire into it. It stopped working right after.

Ill try swapping out the whole board that houses the motor.

What wire did you plug in?

That connector is VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor used originally for late 80s cruise control and shift indicator. For LH2.4, the same signal goes to the ECU through a different connector. The signal comes from the ~14-pin chip on the speedo PCB.

If you fried the chip, you'll also have high idle problems and a diag code after a little spirited driving (under load and over 3000 rpm). If your idle is OK, then the odo gear would be the top suspect. If you fried the chip, you'll need to swap speedos, or swap just the PCB if you want to retain your current mileage.

Back