• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'81 Intercooled Turbo 242 - resto-mod?

As Ken said, that car is pretty clean as it sits, the more you molest it, the less value it has. If you want to molest something for the power, get a cheap 86+, do an LH2.2 +T, and save us the heartache of watching this prime 242 Turbo go from BaT-worthy to California crusher-bait.

This simply isn't true. Kjet is for someone who wants to drive a stock car as it came from the factory. This is turbobricks, not brickboard. Very few people know how to add value properly to a 240(it can be done and it won't be easy or cheap). If op wants reliability, he will need to ditch Kjet for fuel injection. There isn't a way around that.

This simply isn't true. Kjet is for someone who wants to drive a stock car as it came from the factory. This is turbobricks, not brickboard. Very few people know how to add value properly to a 240(it can be done and it won't be easy or cheap). If op wants reliability, he will need to ditch Kjet for fuel injection. There isn't a way around that.

If the swedes would to buy a 242 turbo they would want everything back to stock if it wasn't already. I sold a 245 turbo that k jet was removed and they wanted everything to change it back to k jet from factory.

K-Jet can sometimes be more reliable than LH, btw. Hate to say it, but, that is sometimes true. My wagon has been pretty darn reliable and it's still running on a 35-37 year old K-Jet system (the injectors, lines, and CPR, are all 37 years old, whereas the fuel distributor assembly is 35 years old). LH-Jet wise, had an '84 245GL that never ran right, an '85 245DL that would randomly stall, right as you'd take off from a stop, and a '92 245 that kept throwing CEL codes with a white label 951 computer.

So, as all things are, YMMV.

^ +1 my 245 turbo has been way more reliable than the 87 245 LH 2.2 car, especially anymore with the AMMs all getting 20+ years old and tapping out.

as others have stated, that's where you're wrong, my guy.

look at old american muscle cars...which ones are worth more; the ones with weird mods done to them or the all original ones?

Pour $15K of kool-aid into it, and it becomes crusher fodder. :-P

:nod:

Seen it once, seen it 100 times.

th

As someone who loves to improve their cars. Don't mess that car up with racer boi mods. You can put just a few things on it which will enhance the value. Like the ecodes shown above and IPD anti roll bars. Other than that leave it alone and enjoy like it is.

To make that trim look nice. Buy some satin or semi gloos trim paint. Use SEM or Wurth brand. Tape it off really well and scuff and paint the trim. it will look great and is much less hassle than changing the window.

If the swedes would to buy a 242 turbo they would want everything back to stock if it wasn't already. I sold a 245 turbo that k jet was removed and they wanted everything to change it back to k jet from factory.

There is always an exception. Just because one buyer wanted a factory Kjet car, doesn't mean everyone does or it will stay that way. Maybe for importation reasons, it needed to be as it came from the factory.

K-Jet can sometimes be more reliable than LH, btw. Hate to say it, but, that is sometimes true. My wagon has been pretty darn reliable and it's still running on a 35-37 year old K-Jet system (the injectors, lines, and CPR, are all 37 years old, whereas the fuel distributor assembly is 35 years old). LH-Jet wise, had an '84 245GL that never ran right, an '85 245DL that would randomly stall, right as you'd take off from a stop, and a '92 245 that kept throwing CEL codes with a white label 951 computer.

So, as all things are, YMMV.

If you fix any car as it needs repairs, it will keep running. If you're keeping up with your kjet maintenance, should you be surprised it runs well? Wall know about the biodegradable wiring issues that plagued 240s. Have you ever taking apart an interior loom( I mean 83-87 range)? I have and I'm glad I did because it was falling apart too( I was just curious but not at all surprised). The engine loom had several patch jobs but that is expected. Most people aren't going to delve deeply into diagnosing those issues but it is what is. Could be it fixed? Yep, very few would actually do it.

as others have stated, that's where you're wrong, my guy.

look at old american muscle cars...which ones are worth more; the ones with weird mods done to them or the all original ones?

No one is talking about real money cars. I don't care about those cars but I do know hack jobs will get hack prices. That's not surprising to me.

What about this car? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-volvo-242-turbo-coupe-2/

Kool-aid out in my opinion. Somebody paid 25k for it and then it was resold for more.

Modifications don't reduce value.
The quality of the modifications determine the value.

My cars are all scrap weight lol, but the very well built 240s fetch just as much as the preserved ones. They are just equally hard to find.

No one is talking about real money cars. I don't care about those cars but I do know hack jobs will get hack prices. That's not surprising to me.

What about this car? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-volvo-242-turbo-coupe-2/

Kool-aid out in my opinion. Somebody paid 25k for it and then it was resold for more.

ripping out functioning kjet and and hacking in some lh2.4 won't increase value..

The car you link to is a complete car build....not some mods. Its also a complete car build which has been BAR cert'd in California with a unique engine swap. Completely different magnitudes.

There is always an exception. Just because one buyer wanted a factory Kjet car, doesn't mean everyone does or it will stay that way. Maybe for importation reasons, it needed to be as it came from the factory.

No, they are all like that. Dudes have money and want rust free collector cars...not some **** with different years/models parts dumped into them.

Modifications don't reduce value.
The quality of the modifications determine the value.

My cars are all scrap weight lol, but the very well built 240s fetch just as much as the preserved ones. They are just equally hard to find.

:nod:

To a so called 'enthusiast' that doesn't have any real money to spend on a car anyway.

No, they are all like that. Dudes have money and want rust free collector cars...not some **** with different years/models parts dumped into them.

^

This a thousands times this.

Back