• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How much will cr raise if i shave the head 1mm?

Jussi Alanko

I have a static compression ratio at 8.05 this is with a modified head and dished pistons.

This is so low because i originally think i drive with a 98 ron fuel, but now i'm thinking to use e85 because i had access to it, before i had no access to it, but now i had.

How much will static cr raise if i mill 1mm off the head?

It's a b21 engine.

And can i shave the head while valves are installed?

60 thou (1.5mm) off my b21f/398 head reduced the combustion chamber volume from 52.5cc to 46.5cc

edit: also I put bigger valves in which took up some volume.

That is exactly what i will do, if i raise the cr i will buy a flat top pistons, it will make a -6.6cm^2 difference.
But for now i had to go and drive the car first.

I have a static compression ratio at 8.05 this is with a modified head and dished pistons.

If the chamber is modified no one can really answer this question for you, there's too many variables. My machine shop charges like $10 to pour a hole, which would be the best way to get a real answer.

And can i shave the head while valves are installed?

you can, but it's a bit of a lazy practice for an engine getting money spent on it.

Now i measured the cr and it is 8.45 with these pistons and a 1mm squish. if i put a flat-top pistons it will be a 9.2:1 which is good enough. I can't remove the valves because lashcaps are so thight and i can't get them out, so head milling is a no go to me.

I actually don't need torque at low speeds because i'm not gonna drive this thing in a city, so if my powerband is 3800-7200rpm then it is good enough, if this engine was an NA-machine the head will give max power output at 7840rpm, and my camshaft is a little too little to this, but i think when i eventually get this running i can raise the rev. limiter to 7500rpm.

I talked today at my head/camshaft guy, lvr-racing engines, who make engines to group f rallycars, and he told me that my engine should hold it up at 7500rpm in this configuration. So i can eventually get a 4000rpm good powerband, 3500-7500rpm! :D

Back