• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 Volvo 740 No Start

chronicrhythm

I fixed up and sold a 92 740 Wagon to a friend last summer and I just got a call from her saying that it won't start. When she turned the key there were no dash lights that came on and even the radio wasn't working so I figured that the alternator was probably not charging. She got the car jumped by AAA and now when she turns it over it makes a really bad whine when turned over, which I assume is from the starter and the car doesn't start still. The charging system doesn't go through the starter right? Shes like 2 hours from me so I can't just go look at the car right now but now it seems like the starter is the issue. Seems weird to me that both the alternator and the starter would go bad at once. The battery is pretty new as well so I don't think it is that.

Cold weather can crap out batteries pretty fast, especially if it's draining somehow. The door locks on my 240 weren't working properly once and it drained my battery overnight. Not sure about the whining noise, maybe a cold bearing? That has also happened to me in cold temps

I would never not suspect something because it's new. Did the car start when it was jumped by AAA, or is that when the starter would whine but not start the engine?

I would never not suspect something because it's new. Did the car start when it was jumped by AAA, or is that when the starter would whine but not start the engine?

Correct. Whined when they tried to jump it and it wouldn?t start. She?s bringing it to Swedish motors in Boston so it should be in good hands.

Cold weather can crap out batteries pretty fast, especially if it's draining somehow. The door locks on my 240 weren't working properly once and it drained my battery overnight. Not sure about the whining noise, maybe a cold bearing? That has also happened to me in cold temps

That?s what I?m thinking happened. Maybe it killed the battery. I wonder if the battery is so far gone that it wasn?t able to engage the starter and that?s why it crapped out.

Back