• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 744tic, Greenhornet95's old car. Pic heavy.

nextproject

Well i promised myself i wouldnt post pics until the engine bay was near completion as far as initial modifications go. this will seem pretty mild compared to some other cars i've seen. but i have been telling the PO i'd post pics also. Modifications are somewhat mild for now. More to come later on. I now work with a guy that will let me work on my car in his shop for free, instead of the other place i worked at where they made you pay to work on your own car, even if it was incredibly slow.

744eng3.jpg

744eng4.jpg

744clutch.jpg

744trans.jpg

744eng5.jpg

744eng6-1.jpg

744exh1.jpg

744exh2.jpg

744eng2.jpg

Okay the M46 was cleaned painted, resealed with new seals for either end, along with a resealed OD and installation of later-style p-type pistons and their corresponding seals and IPD's mini rebuild kit. Spec stage 2+ clutch kit was installed as well, resurfaced the stock fw. Replaced rear main (although it still leaks).

The exhaust is a SS 3" side exit with magnaflow race cat and magnaflow straight through 3" resonator.

The turbo is a tryingbe rebuilt unit with upgraded compressor side.

NPR Intercooler with silicone couplers, t-bolt clamps and one custom tb-side intercooler pipe.

mullen airbox.

mbc currently set to 10psi (dont know if upgrading the turbo a little means i oughta run a couple psi less than what people run on the stock turbo)

Powdercoated a bunch of stuff, removed the a/c parts, i plan on reinstalling new ones later on. The a/c system was junk and the orifice tube was caked with metal bits. The evaporator core was also leaking R134a fumes into the cabin.

msd coil and upgraded the plugs to bosch w6dp0's.

I have ipd's turbo cam sitting in my garage, once thats installed with a new timing belt and tensioner im going to get a wideband and possibly a chip (its only LH2.2 for now) and browntops and crank the boost up a lil bit.

Then its time to address the aged suspension and hopefully upgrade the brakes.

Very nice and clean build!

About the clutch fork: that hole in it where the slave cylinder pushes it, should that be there? On my car I've put a little plate in between to avoid the slave cylinder pushing through. I've seen that happen and it's not a very practical situation when you're stuck in traffic..

What are you thinking of regarding upgrading brakes/suspension?

Dam Kevin, that looks badass. Did you pull the entire motor cuz I see the block's black now.
I like how you did the alternator too. Got any pics of the side exit?

here's a before shot:
DSCN1464.jpg

nah lol i just aimed a spray can down there when the exhaust and intake manifolds were off.

i'll try and snap a pic of the side exit today. its tucked up there kinda deep, you can see it but its not 'gaudy' or anything like that. and its pretty quiet. even going to take it down to the guy that did it and have him make a nice test pipe with the v-band flanges. should be a little louder then. it surprises alot of people.

Looks good. What is the big thing with the hard pipe between the Thermostat and the upper rad with the little bits of rubber hose and hose clamps? I've seen it on quite a few cars on this site.

i believe its a 2.25 or 2.5" ID on the hose going to the TB. lemme tell ya theres really JUST enough of a flange on that TB for the t-bolt clamp to properly seat.

i really appreciate all the compliments, i was very leery of posting pics of it until it was at a state where i was satisfied with the look myself. of course it was very very clean to begin with, just different.

if i wasnt balls deep in wiring on my corrado i'd attempt some sort of tuck on the engine bay, maybe later on down the road.

as far as the wideband goes, i dont know if im going to be getting/installing one before or after i install the ipd turbo cam.

i still have to replace the ractive filter with a K&N part when money allows.

The amount of work you see there has taken place over a period of 2-3 months, so by the time summer rolls around there should be a few more updates, but this is pretty much how its going to look for the time being, i'd like to fabricate some sort of proper intercooler mount as well as a polished aluminum "shroud" for over the radiator and intercooler.

thanks again for the kind words guys, i cant wait to tackle the worn out suspension and noisy brakes! tires are next though, and im contemplating going with 225/60/15s on the back and 205/60/15s on the front. although that may be too much tire for a 7" wide wheel on the rear, and i might have to settle for a 215. Just cant afford nicer wheels right now.

yes it is. yellow lamin-x for the foglights is on the way, taillights are being tinted right now (one light coat of niteshades and 10 coats of clear, lol). got the turbo cam shims in the mail today, so i should have her running by monday or tuesday, then i can post pics of the car with the 225/60 rear tires on the "reconditioned" wheels.

i got some time and thought i'd address some questions that i hadnt really seen when reading your replies.

1. Turbosteen, about the hole in the clutch fork, most cars i've driven have had this hole, i just made sure to lather it with some appropriate lubricant.

2. Turbosteen, regarding the suspension and brakes and planned upgrades. I plan on removing and having all the front suspension sandblasted and pcoated gloss black (or maybe that cool graphite "stone" lookin one color) with all bushings upgraded to poly and new balljoints/tie rods. Eventually when funds allow i'll upgrade to ipd sways and kaplhenke coilovers with bilsteins. The brakes will, unfortunately for now remain in the stock SETUP. Rotors and pads along with lines will be upgraded, but in the future i'd love to get either the 11.25" stock brake setup or go for broke with a 4-piston caliper setup from porsche or late model R calipers.

3. 745wagon in regards to the upper rad hose/pipe. Its just something i thought was pretty cool, the upper hose was very soft and pliable when under pressure and i knew i wanted to replace it, the couplers were only 15-20 bucks for both, the tube was like 3 bucks from speedy metals (great, they have no minimum order!) and i had a guy weld a bead around each end, then i polished it and got those nice hose friendly worn clamps for it. Kinda makes taking it off more involved as i must now remove the tstat/water neck in addition to the upper hose/pipe assembly. I always saw it on the fox-body mustangs and other hot rods. And in only got like 30 bucks invested in it. Probably never have to replace it again. its the 6061 aluminum. polished up rather easily.

Is this the GNX lookin 740?

This comment still makes me chuckle. I love the comfort of my 940, but I miss the look of the 740. Im glad its in Kevin's hands b/c he is taking it to the potential the car deserves.

-Carlo

Pics to come shortly, but i have installed the 280ZX hood vent i purchased on here, as well as some intake manifold spacers and studs from cravingboost.com, as well as resealed my brand new and leaking oil separator box and stuffed a fatter o-ring on the dipstick tube (have an oil leak i cant seem to pinpoint, nothing too bad, but my shiny new transmission is now covered in rust-prevention lubriucant).

Also lopped another coil off the fronts, replaced a loose inner tie rod end, as well as cut 1.5 coils off the rear (including the dead coil at the bottom of the springs). Just gotta have a nice couple of days here so i can wash and re-polish the lips on the wheels!

Next week the car goes back to the fabricator for a 3" cat-delete/test pipe and additional O2 bung for the innovate LC-1 that will be purchased with a small portion of the income tax return.

I havent been idle.

new pics

Here are the pics i promised, although i had hoped for better conditions, it was "snowing" here in chattanooga, TN today, so they arent the best, she needs 2 be painted. I think im going to start keeping an eye out for the "raised" rear spoiler available for these cars, not the lip-style. If anyone knows of one for cheap, pass that info this way!

744front3.jpg

744front2.jpg

744front1.jpg

744sideexit.jpg

Im very excited to hear what she'll sound like once the cat is replaced with a v-banded test pipe. Also have begun thoughts of megasquirting the car, so far the engine mods are as follows.

..NPR IC.
..turbo sent to tryingbe for the compressor upgrade as well as a complete rebuild/balance
..3" turboback with high flow cat and single magnaflow resonator. all in stainless with v-band flanges at the individual sections.
..IPD turbo cam, valves adjusted (on the tighter side, yes its an interference engine now!)
..cravingboost phenolic intake mani spacer kit
..MBC set to 10psi
..air intake heat shield with an open element filter
..spec stage 2+ clutch with resurfaced stock flywheel
..redline fluids in the trans and diff
..bosch w6dp0 plugs
..msd coil

almost ALL wear items have been replaced, just a couple of sensors left as well as the entire engine harness, which is why im considering megasquirt for something to do 6 months from now.

Tires are 225s on the back and 205s on the front, and if i have two people stand on the rear bumper the tires will tuck into the wells and the RR tire WILL touch the fender.

Okidokie thats it for now, I have some Aurora plug wires coming as well as an e-fan sitting in the garage, and im ordering the wideband in a week or so, so that'll keep me busy for the next month and a half. Then i've gotta get larger injectors and decide how i want to tune those injectors. Several options.

I see you the tinted tails too! Man, she's lookin great! That Laminx gives it the euro touch it needs. I love the way that scoop looks too.

-Carlo

Back