• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Olga the Second Revised

If you need a gemini tool, wouldn't cost much to ship em overseas I suppose. Easy enough to print, just going to test mine out first and see where I might need to add some reinforcement.

Printed with ABS. Also have nylon, polycarbonate and carbon fiber filament, but ABS should be just fine for what it needs to do.

Can you make a couple more and send them to me in the USA?

New Gemini center cap tool has been tested to 50 ft/lbs, more than enough to keep the centers put. I probably will only torque them down to 20 ft/lbs though, with the o-rings, that should be enough to keep them from coming off. Just remember to apply copper paste to the threads before installing!

jNwLnHO.jpg

Stress marks after 50 ft/lbs

tRrw96w.jpg

You guys are welcome to take the .stl file and gets it printed for personal use.
Here is a link to the file: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2252575

Last edited:
And on to the car! As I was mulling around the shop I found a stash of old parts and a lightly used clutchnet fiber disk.

8v96Yo0.jpg

Since it was Easter weekend I was able to get away on Saturday and get the motor dropped in :-) Finally!!!!

BsZJzn2.jpg

Barebones as I left on Saturday

KRgAZYl.jpg

Original Volvo lower chassis brace. Leaving in the M46 to get the car registered with, while in the meantime I'm still scraping the necessary parts together for the M90 swap.

VFzuO4O.jpg

Electric fan conversion

0oB8uKF.jpg

Just enough clearance to make it work!

S2951sV.jpg

Here there's also just enough clearance...

A5Z8oLK.jpg

How the motor is now just waiting on the turbo plumbing. I'm not leaving the blue silicone hose...

3rlWYaS.jpg

Last edited:
looks like it's coming together great! Why E-fan vs mechanical fan? Personally I prefer mechanical fan and wanted to convert my 960 turbo to use the mechanical fan.

looks like it's coming together great!

Thanks! Now that it's coming together quickly I'm anxious to get out on the streets!

Why E-fan vs mechanical fan? Personally I prefer mechanical fan and wanted to convert my 960 turbo to use the mechanical fan.

Cause I just don't like the sound of the mechanical fan. The amount of noise it adds just drives me crazy on my 740 wagon. Also I like things shutting on and off automatically :-P

The reason I have an issue with it is because of what I use my car for (drifting) so the car sits on the limiter for a few minutes and after a run that will cook the engine if the fan fails. That being said I'm not sure I can fit a mechanical fan with the tightness of my engine bay.

Got back to the workshop Monday afternoon, didn't get the motor buttoned up cause I spent most of the afternoon chasing a leak in the trunk. Ended up having to rip out the carpet and wash everything cause of the mold that had been building up... I hope it's fixed now!!!

77k8M3v.jpg

Resistor pack delete for the delphi 42lb injectors (01D030x).

4YrXnPp.jpg

Trying my best to use old volvo intercooler piping to make the build look like nuthin's special here.

laSyT27.jpg

Still looks....

raBoRe9.jpg

improvised...

kb2ULNg.jpg

And then it started snowing, in the middle of April... :grrr:

N5tMT20.jpg

Last edited:
Installing the 3" MAF on the stock air filter box I needed a 70mm to 80mm adapter hose. So in the spirit of Turbobricks, I said forget ordering online (piece of hose costs 23€ shipped), I'll make one!

V5Yj042.jpg

l4zgPxy.jpg

Got some new material for the printer a while ago and was dying to try it out. Thermoplastic Polyurethane is both oil and solvent resistant as well as heat resistant up to 95?C (203?F).

1ehNVKM.jpg

Four hours later I had my adapter freshly made. See how this stuff holds out, but it's looking good so far!

xEF7hDS.jpg

NNbELcY.jpg

Got to cleaning out the car, now it feels like I'm working on a Volvo and not a storage container. Swapped out the glovebox and center console with spares that weren't broken, starting to come together nicely!

r72f1UZ.jpg

And finally got the chipped 984 ECU installed that will be regulating the e-fan conversion. Pins 10 and 11 wern't populated on the factory harness, so I robbed some cables with connectors from a broken side view mirror harness to tap in with. On the front I still got the A/C condensor fan on the stock circuit, so I should be pretty much good in the cooling department.

IQGRUGx.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a successful day at the shop!

As I said I couldn't leave the blue, so I used a high performance remedy...

tVMdDDX.jpg

DkJqDYl.jpg

EGbe6j3.jpg

Printed some new nylon bushings for the throttle cable roller

cZ6WJQL.jpg

The ugly PCB inlet work till I get a decent connection printed and installed...

8kEU4ME.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that I got everything buttoned up and started it up for the first time.

First start after complete rebuild:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HXSOjow_cq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First drive under own power after full warmup:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UBt1Bk46bg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Took awhile for the hydrolifters to pump up, but then she sounded pretty good :)

Today's end result! Still going for that no obvious thrills look.

rN884Be.jpg

fH2PwGv.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty damn slick with the printed intercooler hose. I wasn't aware they had material with those specifications.

Love the project, it's really interesting to see how it aged and what you had to repair.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the material as well. It's amazing how many options are available for 3d printing filament.

Glad you enjoy it, also been fun for me to see what held up and what not.

Spent the past few saturdays day chasing gremlins, both electrical and mechanical.

Silly things like:
Sunroof would open, but not close --> cleaned switch
Horn would not work --> chased it down to a grounded connection
Low charging voltage --> swapped in spare alternator
Knock control signal absent --> swapped in spare knock sensor
Small oil leak somewhere around the turbocharger --> tightened the oil feed banjo bolt 1/8 of a turn
Throttle cable was fraying --> new used installed
Brake light was permanently on --> adjusted switch contact point with a hammer
Exhaust leak at the turbocharger --> retorqued the wastegate flange bolts
Idle was sporatic --> cleaned idle control valve
Missing interior panels --> found, cleaned and installed interior pieces
Missing euro plate holders --> mounted euro plate holders
Bad windshield wipers --> installed new ones
Faulty front left turn signal --> put new bulbs on the shopping list
Ugly brass PCB Inlet --> installed new inlet adapter
Computer was having a hard time adapting to the 3" MAF --> revert back to the 016 MAF till after registration

Pics of the inlet adapter, 3D printed of course with a polycarbonate body and polyurethane gaskets

G7E8e9T.jpg

meAUj18.jpg

0XJtfsK.jpg

KgOROtk.jpg

To Do List:
Install new blinker bulbs
Faulty rear fog light --> dunno, gotta see what I have to work with. Rear fog lights are required in Europe...
Shifter reverse lock out and bushings --> install shortened shifter and new bushings
Call and make an appointment for technical inspection!!!

I'd like to be up and running within the next few weeks, but the next few weekends I'm out of town. Not much of a problem since it's light outside until 9:30 p.m. :-D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note I finally got a choice turbo. Was wanting a disco potato, but they're still quite expensive even on the used market. Last night I caught this beauty on eBay for 100 Euronen shipped! A .48 T3 "cosworth" hotside with a T4 something (later identified as a V-trim).

nIEkChJ.jpg

qhC4guB.jpg

1BWZ7vM.jpg

VMthCWt.jpg

Been looking for a good turbo for the past two years, but everything kept slipping through my fingers. Have a Volvo K24 on the shelf, but it's the later model where the output tilts towards the back and would run the piping too close to the exhaust manifold...

Even though the currently installed turbo is already a tight fit, looking at this comparison photo of a T3 next to a T34 leads me to think the swap won't be too problematic... Sure I'll need a new downpipe, but I was planing on that anyway.

4acFHmP.jpg

After the restauration and registration I'll be looking forward to beginning the next stage with the cossie turbo!

Last edited:
Back