• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No Goals 244

You will find out if there is a piston ring / groove issue on that #4 cylinder. Did your replacement head have a valve job, or was it just "good used"? Being that low on compression compared to the rest would be concerning. By chance did you wipe those cylinder bores with engine oil while you had the head off? With "wet rings" those compression numbers should be pretty tight in an engine which has not been abused. If you are getting significant blow by your rings on #4 into the crankcase, you will have some significant positive pressure coming around the oil cap. You can either measure the pressure to determine piston/ring health, and/or use the old "glove test".

Once she's running and you get a heat cycle on the engine, check your compression #s again.

You will find out if there is a piston ring / groove issue on that #4 cylinder. Did your replacement head have a valve job, or was it just "good used"? Being that low on compression compared to the rest would be concerning. By chance did you wipe those cylinder bores with engine oil while you had the head off? With "wet rings" those compression numbers should be pretty tight in an engine which has not been abused. If you are getting significant blow by your rings on #4 into the crankcase, you will have some significant positive pressure coming around the oil cap. You can either measure the pressure to determine piston/ring health, and/or use the old "glove test".

Once she's running and you get a heat cycle on the engine, check your compression #s again.

I lapped the valves tight on this head, and checked it with my flatness gauge. I had done some wet tests, but was getting really weird results. There's definitely a bottom end issue, though. I poured cyls 1 and 4 full of oil while I had the head off, and overnight 4 drained into the crankcase, and 1 stayed full. I realize this isn't super indicative of much, but it does confirm what I'm seeing.

Like I said if I can get the dead miss to go away, I'll be fairly happy as long as oil consumption isn't super excessive. I just want to daily this thing back and forth to work, not looking to set the world on fire. When I get this "built" motor in the 240 I'll have the good engine out of it to potentially swap in.

Got the 760 back together enough to confirm that it still runs. I was pretty excited to have all the timing and everything correct on the first try, I must be learning something.

Tomorrow hopefully I can get it buttoned up the rest of the way to take it for a test drive and pull some more numbers on cylinder 4.

I've been having weird visions of hotboi sh*t for the 760. Putting the hot 16v motor in it, slam it to the ground, and run some fat lip 19s with a little camber in the back. Color match the bumpers, and maybe some kind of livery. I don't know where this comes from. I don't drift, I don't even follow drifting or car trends, but I'm just getting that kind of vibe out of it. Seeing as I've never seen a project car through to anything even remotely close to the finish, you can rest easy knowing that I most likely won't ruin it.

No dice on the 760. I got it all buttoned up this afternoon and took it for a smokey drive around the block. It had no power and the dipstick blew out as soon as I hit the gas hard. Compression on cylinder 4 hot is only 50psi, on cylinder 1 it broke the hose on my Amazon compression tester. I'm wondering if it broke a ring or something, when I first got it home and running it wasn't bad at all except for the obvious head gasket issues.

I was hoping to make it my daily without dumping a bunch of money into it. Once the weather warms up I need to get the +T swap done on the 240, then use the engine from it for the 760. I'll drill the block for an oil return and send it as is. I've already got a shameful amount of money dumped into the 240, and need to spend another ~$1500 (surely double that by the time I'm done) on do it right/while I'm in there type things.

This is the way...

Engine build progress is happening. I've got a rotating assembly in a passable FT block with some seals on it, admittedly not much progress for 2 months of on and off messing with it.

I cannot for the life of me remember if the oil pump to block mating surface has a gasket, and I can't find one for sale anywhere. So, no gasket?

Progress looks good, but it looks like you have a lot of things to do before you finish this build. Either way, I recommend you visit 4wheelonline in case you need aftermarket parts for this car.

Last edited:
I've been pushing myself to do something with my projects every day, no matter how small. Not every day is a Volvo day, but I'm moving forward.

Got the rods and NA pistons into the block, front and rear seals in, and the oil pump and pan on.

Don't mind my garage. My life, and especially the garage, is lived in a constant state of near to full on chaos. It's exhausting and infuriating, but somehow I manage.

And awhile back I managed to finally give her a good wash and recharge the AC!

It's time to start robbing parts off the engine in the 760 in order to get this one buttoned up enough to set in place, as of now it's at least mobile, so I'm not looking forward to taking it out of commission with the way my motivation has been lately. This is also the point where parts I don't have on hand are going to be throwing me off. I already don't think I have o-rings for the oil filter extension, and the PCV parts I have are for a later car.

Not the time to dwell on what's gonna hold me up, though. Just gotta keep moving.

Haha sloppy hour ,

I need to follow suit with atleast an hour gettin sloppy on my projects !

Thanks for the inspo n good luck on the +t ! Its so worth kt!

Water pump, timing belt tensioner, and YoshiFab oil drain fitting installed tonight. The manifold is just hung for now, I forgot to order gaskets :(. Next I need to reclock the 15g, and mount the late 760 oil filter extension/cooler thermostat. I'm waiting on an IPD order with a cam in it. Once it shows up I can get it timed and get the front buttoned up. And once I get manifold gaskets I can wrap up the hot side as well.

Starting Thursday I have 7 days off, and I would LOVE to hear this run by the end of that. It's a lofty goal, and parts will probably hang me up, but even just getting this motor set in the car would be cool.

Since I'm moving from the T3 to a Mitsu turbo do I need to change the coolant hoses for the water cooling? Also I think the charge pipe couplings are a little different on the turbo side for the Mitsu cars.

Just about everything I'm using came off a 1990, so I think I'm safe ordering parts for that as opposed to the 1986 T3 car.

Lastly what's stopping me from using this do88 piping kit? FCP says it's only for 92-95 models
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-performance-intercooler-piping-kit-do88-performance

Edit: late turbo cars have the intercooler inlet and outlet lower than the earlier ones.

Last edited:
I wasn't using my head and ordered everything to make an AN turbo oil feed in -6 hose instead of the normal -4.

Especially considering I'm still using the stock size banjo fittings I don't see it being an issue, but I'm interested in opinions.

Old engine out

Rebuilt unit in

I misplaced one bellhousing bolt, but I'm gonna continue on and see if it turns up. It's fully bolted in, wiring and plumbing can wait for another day.

Back