• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for info on later (rectangular) expansion tank bracket

krymarchuk

Hey guys, haven't been active on TB for years since I sold my 240. Recently picked up a 1991 940SE however, and am working on some stage 0 stuff at the moment.

I've seen a bunch of info on the modification to add the late-model (rectangular) expansion tank with the level sender, and since I figured it's a good time to replace what appears to be the original 30-year old expansion tank anyway, why not upgrade!

I am planning to buy a new tank and cap, plus the sensor, but understand the bracket to be spot-welded to the strut tower, and unavailable to purchase separately. Not seeing any cars in the local JY that would have this setup, and so I'm either on the hunt for a bracket or wondering about how to fab something up in it's place.

Anyone have pictures of this bracket though? I haven't been able to find decent pictures to show how the tank "slots" into the bracket, to give me an idea of what it would take to fab a custom bracket or adapt the stock (round) clamp-style bracket.

Bonus points if anyone has a spare bracket they are willing to ship!

Last edited:
Dude that bracket is still available from Volvo and is cheap. My buddy and I FINALLY finished swapping a B230FT out of a 940 into his 240 and we thought about fabbing that bracket also, until we found out we didn't have to.

"Never build what you can buy"-A wicked smart guy I know

Dude that bracket is still available from Volvo and is cheap. My buddy and I FINALLY finished swapping a B230FT out of a 940 into his 240 and we thought about fabbing that bracket also, until we found out we didn't have to.

"Never build what you can buy"-A wicked smart guy I know

Any info on the part number? I've been looking through the Volvo Parts Catalogs and am not seeing it shown on the diagrams?

3538581. If you got to GCP.SE, 940 catalog 91-93, catalog (not pdf) page 1262, callout 1b.

Awesome, thank you so much! I did just see that bracket in the catalog, looked correct but appeared to be referenced as a relay bracket. Appreciate the confirmation! Will make things far easier to install.

Back