• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

suspension setup/tuning for 242 w/ LT1

asilomar244

I need to figure out the next step for suspension setup on my 82 242 with an LT1 350. Current:

iPd sway bars (23/21mm)
TME springs (1.5" drop)
Bilsteins
poly bushings except for trailing arms
hub spacers
6.5x16" Mimas rims with original touring tires
Cherry Turbo strut tower brace
custom adjustable panhard rod
iPd adjustable torque bars
LSD

The conversion is smogged and running well. But the handling needs to be improved. IRS and weight reduction will need to wait for at least a few years. I need to figure out the best way to make the front/rear weight distribution and front suspension (camber/toe) more adjustable. When turning in the front end, as expected, understeers pretty significantly. This can be controlled a bit by making sure the motor is ~3-4k and the rear end is pushing, the LSD helps a lot. While the car is very quick, that driving style is more aggressive than I would like for having a little fun on the weekend. I need to improve turn-in and reduce understeer.

What recommendation? Coilovers, adjustable camber plates? If so, which ones? Anyone have suspension geometry specifics from a V8 converted 242? Sport tires are a must, but there is more going on than tires issues. Thanks for any info...

try a thinner front swaybar or get a bigger rear swaybar. (for a quick test you can remove the front one completely)
or try some different tire pressures, less in the front tires or more in the rear tires,
or lower front rideheight, higher rear rideheight,
or you could get more negative camber at the front (i wouldnt)

there's many solutions for it, but there's no fixed solution, all depends on combination of parts like tires, springs, rideheigt, etc....and ofcourse your own preference

Ok, thanks for the info. I found this thread very imformative:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=176516&highlight=coilover+240

and the kaplhenke strut mounts sound like a must. I had not factored the rubber mount adequately. Now I am worried that is a fail point, as the remainder of the front end is built up well over stock and is being asked to direct 275hp.

It sounds like I should go for the strut mounts soon and hold of adjustable control arms. Need to change my sway bar end links. The kaplhenke coilovers also look very nice. Back to reading up on old threads.

Wait, you joined six and a half years ago and are still a newb? Where ya been?

This has been a long, ongoing project. The Volvo stuff has been straighforward. My time is spent working on GM EFI and all kinds of powertrain and CA smog issues. Nice to be back on this forum.

Back