• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine Swap 81 244 - I've read too much, now I'm confused

edrox8465

I know - this topic has been brought up hundreds of times I am sure.

I have an 81 244 that I am attached to. I am not attached to the sluggish 2.1 and the goofy 4-spd manual. So, of course, I am looking at a swap. But damn, where to go?

The goal for the car is to be a fun streetable car, something of a sleeper, and perhaps autocross. I thought about the LS swap - but that will take a lot more time and money than I can put into it.

I have seen everything imaginable, and a few things I didn't. I've seen LS swaps, BMW M-series swaps, even SR20 swaps. I am thinking I want to stay in the Volvo family, perhaps go with a B230, but I am even not sure about that. I found a turbo kit that goes on the B230, so that got me all excited.

Frankly, I am an old school muscle car guy. I've done a lot with 70s US muscle. This is my first real dive into a swap using computer systems and sensors and its a little intimidating.

SO - with all of that said: What is your opinion on the most bang for the buck, with the most trouble-free swap? I know there is no such thing as "trouble free" - so lets say the least headaches.

I appreciate everyone's input and feedback.

Least headaches is a Volvo turbo engine swap. A good way to go is to buy a 940T that is good for all the parts and wiring to turbo your car. It all mostly bolts in. Tune the engine to the low to mid 200hp range and it'll really wake up your car for some fun.

If you want a bolt in solution, go with a B230FT as dl242gt said above. If you want it to work as it is supposed to, you will need to change the rear axle to a later 240 axle with the speed sensor built into it. Also, change your instrument cluster to the later electronic speedometer set up. That will allow you to run LH 2.4 fuel injection/ignition without surging problems. You can end up with a very reliable, turn key 220 hp swap that will really wake up your 242. As soon as you start swapping to something such as an LS, nearly everything in the car needs to be upgraded.

I know this might not be what you want t hear, but I would consider finding a project car that already has the features close to what you’re looking for in a sporty car. Just saying this as one who’s taken a bone stock 240 and spent the time and money and heartache into making it a slightly less slow, poorly handling, less drivable 240... multiple times.

Do you have a hp goal? If you just want a 20% increase, keep your engine, get a cam, headers, maybe Megasquirt, etc. If you want a lot more, it's a lot more work. I have a 79 242 with a cam, Megasquirt, and exhaust, while no one would call it fast, it is fun and would blow my old 88 240 out of the water. Suspension mods would go a long way to make it a much faster car.

I also have a 78 242 in the middle of an LS swap, the easiest way to get a ton of hp, but it is a lot of work and $ to do right.

My suggestion would be to do the simple engine mods, put the money into the suspension and good tires. Big hp ruins the autocross anyway. Megasquirt can be simple if it just controls the fuel, it adds a wideband oxygen sensor and an air intake sensor. If it controls fuel and timing, it is a bit more work. I never figured all that out since I am happy with the original ignition stuff, but these guys here can help out.

Least headaches is a Volvo turbo engine swap. A good way to go is to buy a 940T that is good for all the parts and wiring to turbo your car. It all mostly bolts in. Tune the engine to the low to mid 200hp range and it'll really wake up your car for some fun.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't seem to locate a 940T Anywhere! Looked in my local yards as well as Copart (nationwide search). Is that motor/trans combo in another car I should look for?

Do you have a hp goal? If you just want a 20% increase, keep your engine, get a cam, headers, maybe Megasquirt, etc. If you want a lot more, it's a lot more work. I have a 79 242 with a cam, Megasquirt, and exhaust, while no one would call it fast, it is fun and would blow my old 88 240 out of the water. Suspension mods would go a long way to make it a much faster car.

I also have a 78 242 in the middle of an LS swap, the easiest way to get a ton of hp, but it is a lot of work and $ to do right.

My suggestion would be to do the simple engine mods, put the money into the suspension and good tires. Big hp ruins the autocross anyway. Megasquirt can be simple if it just controls the fuel, it adds a wideband oxygen sensor and an air intake sensor. If it controls fuel and timing, it is a bit more work. I never figured all that out since I am happy with the original ignition stuff, but these guys here can help out.

No stated goal. I have not found a cam or header for that 2.1 though. Is there a preferred place to look?

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't seem to locate a 940T Anywhere! Looked in my local yards as well as Copart (nationwide search). Is that motor/trans combo in another car I should look for?

They rarely show up in IAA or Copart auctions anymore, unless, they are charity donations. They are old cars that are generally insured for liability only. Check craigslist and Facebook market place for cheap/non-running 740/940 Turbo cars. 1990 and newer models will have LH 2.4 fuel/ignition systems and the larger connecting rods in the engine. Don't bother with anything older than 1990. They will have LH 2.2 and small rod engines in them.

I have a 90 740 turbo motor/drivetrain and a bunch of performance stuff if you’re interested. I’m about 75 miles north of Reno.

B230ft and lh2.4, but use a lh2.2 throttle body and k-jet IAC (optional, but you already have it) to control idle speed and help with cold starts. It’s really about 4 or 5 wires you have to connect. The rest is plug-n-play.
By using the LH 2.2 throttle body, you don’t need to swap to an electric speedo, and you can use your original cluster. The lh2.4 idle speed (and ecu) needs a signal from the speedo to not go into a hunting idle. The LH2.2 is an air bleed setup that you manually set for idle speed.

Back